U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM

675 posts, read 1,704,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Personally, when I talk to the locals that tell me about the "old days", I wish I had a chance to see NW Austin when it was all fields and trails, long before the mega-apartment complexes and strip malls paved it over. Sounds like living up north, especially in the northern burbs, was country ambient, even somewhat bucolic.......Though they have done the same to the south side, there are more green belts there for hiking and biking.....and they seem to have left more green spaces as well......just a shame what they have done to the north end of the metro........I would say that the hill country is better than north, but worse than south, per sprawl, as there are very constricting routes back into the city, like Bee Cave.......though the hills, for simple geographical restraints, will never sprawl too badly..........
I agree with this. I fear that eventually parts of the south will be the same. Southeast Austin and South Central are already more pavement and strip mall than trees and green space. But southwest Austin, so far, they seem to be doing it right (if you can call any kind of sprawl 'right'.) At least in the southwest they've had strict rules about building and leaving a huge percentage of trees and green space. So the place looks really nice. Of course, further off and further out, they could still mess it up. I'll bet that William Cannon and Davis and Slaughter in 10 years feel like they are close into town.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 AM

3,765 posts, read 8,144,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I live in SW Austin, I don't see any sprawl.
Seriously? You don't see sprawl here? What about Sunset Valley? What about all of the new strip malls along slaughter? What about the development about to break ground on Slaughter and Mopac? What about the development that is being considered for 45? How is that not sprawl?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 AM

What development is being considered along 45? Are you talking about down near 1826? I've long been curious about what all might be built out there someday.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
You pretty much live in the sprawl. Try heading down SH45, there are plenty of trees down here.

It's interesting how central austinites complain of the sprawl but choose to live near the sprawl because it's convenient.
How can central austinites be considered to live near the sprawl? Sprawl means to be spread out. Central Austinites live in-city, the antithesis of "sprawl."

I live in the suburbs, we just cannot afford to live in city, and I am glad there are affordable options the further you get out, but it still bums me out that the Backyard closed for a a mega shopping complex and that so many strip malls have popped up everywhere. I didn't mind having to drive a few miles to get anywhere back when I lived here before. I agree that having shopping closer is convenient but the tradeoff of open greenspace is a bit of a bummer.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
What development is being considered along 45? Are you talking about down near 1826? I've long been curious about what all might be built out there someday.
There was something in the paper about a hearing regarding it a few weeks ago. Additionally, my neighborhood is abuzz about it because of the increased traffic it will bring down Mopac. I believe it is where 45 meets up with 1826 and it is supposed to be commercial and retail. My husband and I were talking about this and we wonder how much more retail is needed in this area. There are already plenty of empty storefronts along Slaughter just west of Mopac and many for lease signs in Sunset Valley. It seems like people will be forced to consume less because folks have hopefully learned their lessons regarding saving and using their houses as ATM machines (maybe I am being overly hopeful)

Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM

You're right. That's awful. They don't need to build any more retail areas until they fill up the current buildings. Why build something when just up the street, the strip center is sitting there without any tenants? I'm sure someone will make money somewhere. Better yet they should redo the old gross strip centers over at the Y in Oak Hill. Repurpose what's there, don't build brand new buildings.

Except the Alamo Drafthouse: )

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,603,791 times
Quote:

HAH! I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,791,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Seriously? You don't see sprawl here? What about Sunset Valley? What about all of the new strip malls along slaughter? What about the development about to break ground on Slaughter and Mopac? What about the development that is being considered for 45? How is that not sprawl?
I don't live anywhere near Sunset Valley. The development on 45 is still very far from my home.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM

2,522 posts, read 5,399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
That is why. you look out the window or door. Try stepping outside, walking to a PARK and enjoy the outdoors for your neighborhood. I can't stand hermits (Hermit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia); but I am sure you see lots of theifs, bank robbers, looters and americas most wanted. Maybe if you go outside, you can walk up to them and ask them why are they here?... lol
Back in Chicago, almost 100% of the larger wealthy suburbs were loaded with parks and amenities, and the kids were quite safe....they even had a little historical recreation park in Naperville where blacksmiths would work and women would make candles and such......and many pocket neighborhood parks all over, many with adjoining muni pools......unless the modern family prefers living as a island, closing the world behind them with the genie opener, I would hope we could all have at least some "commons" to share....
after all, we are human, i presume?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

2,522 posts, read 5,399,014 times
Quote:
You're right. That's awful. They don't need to build any more retail areas until they fill up the current buildings. Why build something when just up the street, the strip center is sitting there without any tenants? I'm sure someone will make money somewhere. Better yet they should redo the old gross strip centers over at the Y in Oak Hill. Repurpose what's there, don't build brand new buildings.

Builders prob had those areas earmarked for development before the recent financial bust......they got lucky and maintained the green light, are proceeding, and don't really give a damn what they pave over, as long as they can sell the property to the highest bidder, and skip town.....the only ones that pay for all the overbuild overhang of retail are all of us, who deal with the traffic and aesthetic blight of the same..

I lived in a city years ago that did the same, about the same size as Austin, and they ruined several neighborhoods by retail overbuilding forever....the malls
and stores never go away once built.........some in that same city sit now with FOR LEASE signs for years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or