Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:45 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times

Advertisements

There are places outside of Central Austin that AREN'T chains, as some above mention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've lived in the city. (Still own a house there, five minutes from downtown.) I currently live in the country. There are some suburbs that I would love to live in, but I'd love to more if they were still the unique communities that they used to be.

But the real problem with sprawl is, indeed, one big box development after another because people just can't stand to drive the extra ten minutes (literally) to get to the one that's already there. Or housing developments that bring to mind the old song, "Little Houses (built of ticky tacky, little houses all the same)" that look the same from one city, or state, to the next. Developments that destroy the flavor of the communities and neighborhoods they invade.

If the development were more organic, more in tune with the individual, unique communities that are already there, I don't think it would be objected to so much. If it was easily possible to tell where, say, Round Rock ended and Cedar Park, or Austin, begins, without having to consult a map, that would be even better.
Are you actually a real estate agent? If so, I would not hire you. There are people who look at developments that you called "tacky". That is so rude. I honestly think you are in the wrong business.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Are you actually a real estate agent? If so, I would not hire you. There are people who look at developments that you called "tacky". That is so rude. I honestly think you are in the wrong business.
If Voltaire sold real estate he would say: "I disagree with what house you want to buy, but I will defend your right to buy it"

Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
There are places outside of Central Austin that AREN'T chains, as some above mention
There are also plenty of chains in Central Austin.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Did you notice that I said that there are suburbs that I would love to live in? Or are you just looking for something to be offended by?

Did you get any of the point of what I said, which is that when development keeps the flavor of the community that it's in in mind, then there's not a problem? Do you take issue with that?

Do you object to driving an extra ten minutes rather than have another Big Box strip center plopped down? Or does that comment not apply to you (you did read it, didn't you?).

As a real estate agent, my responsibility is to my client, whatever they might want to buy. This does not mean that I, as a person (and, for that matter, as a professional) don't have my opinions about what kind of development serves, or doesn't serve, the community as a whole.

In my ideal world, there would be sufficient local shopping in stores owned locally for people to get most of what they need supporting the local community and economy, with the occasional Big Box store there for everything else. You could have a Walmart and a Target and a Lowes and a Home Depot and a few others all available, like there is at 1325 and IH35, to serve people in all directions. So you'd have to drive 30 minutes, maybe, at the very edge, to get to all the Big Box chains, and the rest of the time you'd buy from your friends and neighbors the unique items they had available.

That's the best of all possible worlds, of course.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Yum...I love Smokey Mo's. There's also one in far north Leander (well, Liberty Hill I guess). Are they a franchise? I thought the family owned them all and that Morris (Mo) still worked there.

We also like this Leander restaurant: Cafe Blue Texas
Stand corrected per Mo's being a franchise....sorry Morris......though I bet they COULD franchise the place if they chose.....or just sold off the secret sauces to supermarkets........

Cafe Blue is pretty classy....nice lil lakeside location....you know a place is expensive when a pitcher of Mojitos is 40 bucks....there goes my entire
dining budget....I could clean out the entire stock of "Smoky's" for the price of a pitcher of Mojitos at Cafe Blue.....Yipes!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM

There's several restaurants that I'm fond of in several communities around Austin, and in some suburbs. Thing is, they're not chains, they're unique to the communities they're in. In Austin, proper, as well, I prefer the non-chain restaurants of whatever kind.

Sort of like when I went to Scotland, I had haggis, not McDonald's.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Did you notice that I said that there are suburbs that I would love to live in? Or are you just looking for something to be offended by?

Did you get any of the point of what I said, which is that when development keeps the flavor of the community that it's in in mind, then there's not a problem? Do you take issue with that?

Do you object to driving an extra ten minutes rather than have another Big Box strip center plopped down? Or does that comment not apply to you (you did read it, didn't you?).

As a real estate agent, my responsibility is to my client, whatever they might want to buy. This does not mean that I, as a person (and, for that matter, as a professional) don't have my opinions about what kind of development serves, or doesn't serve, the community as a whole.

In my ideal world, there would be sufficient local shopping in stores owned locally for people to get most of what they need supporting the local community and economy, with the occasional Big Box store there for everything else. You could have a Walmart and a Target and a Lowes and a Home Depot and a few others all available, like there is at 1325 and IH35, to serve people in all directions. So you'd have to drive 30 minutes, maybe, at the very edge, to get to all the Big Box chains, and the rest of the time you'd buy from your friends and neighbors the unique items they had available.

That's the best of all possible worlds, of course.
THL is the only real estate agent on here I've ever seen against sprawl.....you have to give here credit for that....the rest of them would pave over the entire metro if given half a chance.....She genuinely loathes sprawl, though I'm not sure how she rationalizes that with selling houses in a metro that is 70-80% pure sprawl, or if she sells in those ticky tacky (and yes, I know the TV show "weeds" had that as its theme song) suburbs like Cedar, RR, and the rest......I think the guy that Paraphrased Voltaire had that one downpact.....

Sort of like John Lennon singing "Imagine there's no posessions" in his Dakota mansion......ironic, but so is much of life..........

Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Up front, at this point in my life, I'm more of a city guy and don't much care for newer-type suburban developments. I live(rent) about 2 miles from downtown and really love the proximity to the things I find interesting. I can bike and walk(sort of) to many places. Unfortunately, I have to reverse commute to my job, but my wife works close so we can still share a car.

But one contradiction I often find in these discussions, is that folks who live in more urban/city environments put down and/or criticize others for living in the suburbs and contributing to sprawl, without considering this basic fact: Most people cannot afford to live in Central Austin, even as renters. There aren't too many buying options (other than teardowns) available for under 225K...and most average incomes cannot afford that. Forget about buying one of those cute, earthy, historical bungalows within walking distance to everything so beloved in Austin. If you can afford one of these fine places, count yourself among the fortunate.

I guess to me, it's just not nice to cast aspersions on folks or put them down for living somewhere different from ourselves. It smacks of juvenile moral superiority and it's not productive at all.

Anyone who has a house is lucky.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:15 PM

I agree, anyone who has a house is lucky. Anyone who has a Big Box plopped down in their neighborhood when there's one right down the road, not so much. People who live in suburbs and in small towns deserve to have a nice environment around them, too, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin