Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:46 PM

10 posts, read 33,129 times

Advertisements

We are interested in a house that has had its foundation repaired. (Yes, it does have a lifetime transferable warranty, with restrictions.) According to the internet, foundation problems, even when repaired, do affect the final sales price. (Homes with foundation problems, even when repaired, sell for less than comps.) Is that true here in Austin, where I am told that most older slab homes (60s and 70s and 80s) have foundation issues. If so, by what percentage would a repaired foundation affect the purchase price? Would you buy a home that has a repaired slab, or simply wait for one without issues.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 PM

648 posts, read 1,957,815 times
Depends how unique the property is. Hard to say.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 PM

658 posts, read 1,999,725 times
I found this link interesting. It is about foundation questions and answers.

http://www.atkinsonusa.com/faq.html (broken link)

Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM

10 posts, read 33,129 times
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM

653 posts, read 1,788,280 times
According to my Realtor, almost all of the homes that back up to the greenway (in this area, wellbranch) have had foundation repair.
When these houses show up for sale, they tend to sell very fast, and I am not noticing that they are cheaper than houses that do not back up to the greenway.
So the advantages of backing up to the greenway must mean more than the disadvantages of having had foundation repair done :-)

Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,709,953 times
Having foundation work done is an "improvement" and thus can actually add value. A house with piers underneath the post tension cable slab is going to be a stronger structure than one without. I've not noticed houses selling for less. The work has been completed, is under warranty, and is not work that has been put off for a new home owner.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,799,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Having foundation work done is an "improvement" and thus can actually add value. A house with piers underneath the post tension cable slab is going to be a stronger structure than one without. I've not noticed houses selling for less. The work has been completed, is under warranty, and is not work that has been put off for a new home owner.
I disagree. A repaired foundation means there was a defect in initial construction; even in tough conditions with lots of clay, it's still possible to build a sound foundation. Foundation work may not hurt the value *too much* if it's common in the area to have defective foundations. But it isn't an improvement. It's a repair of a defect. Maybe a very lasting, necessary repair, but still a repair.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,550,395 times
I was raised to never touch a house that has any history of foundation problems. There are enough homes out there that I can just find another one. In my eyes it's like buying a used car that has an accident show up on the Carfax. I can just move on to another one. It might be fine, but the issue might come back. It's not worth the headache to me when there is a ton of inventory out there.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,988,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I disagree. A repaired foundation means there was a defect in initial construction; even in tough conditions with lots of clay, it's still possible to build a sound foundation. Foundation work may not hurt the value *too much* if it's common in the area to have defective foundations. But it isn't an improvement. It's a repair of a defect. Maybe a very lasting, necessary repair, but still a repair.
I think it goes both ways, but I tend to agree with the above more often than not.

Homes we sell with foundation repair history always generate a bunch of extra questions and conversation. Those questions are always related to fear and apprehension of the buyer. Houses that scare buyers don't sell for premiums. It's never a good thing when a buyer has more things to worry and wonder about.

As a listing agent, I like my odds better with a house with no problems over one with a foundation repair and tons of documentation. So would most buyers. No buyer has ever read a listing comment that says "foundation repaired in 2008" and exclaimed, "Oh good!"

Steve

Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,364,044 times
Depends on the house...I don't think any buyer will be scared off because you replaced the 90 year old cedar posts with concrete piers in your central Austin bungalow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: