Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,025,446 times

Advertisements

FYI: the entire Highland Mall tract was re-zoned for vertical mixed use today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
FYI: the entire Highland Mall tract was re-zoned for vertical mixed use today!
Wow, someone is definitely looking to the future already. VMU could really integrate well with the commuter rail if done right.

Is there a link to this news item?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,796,467 times
Heh.. I can just imagine surveyors already there inside the mall, measuring and placing little flags while the mall is still open...

Seriously, though, what surprises me about Highland Mall is just how quickly it declined. I'm seeing these TV news stories, reading this thread, and thinking... I was just there, what, 3 years ago? It wasn't necessarily gleaming, but it didn't certainly didn't seem like the vacant crazy gang hangout place everyone is describing. By contrast, Northcross Mall (and some other malls I remember in the DFW area) languished for many years in a "near-death" stage before finally kicking the bucket. It's like Highland Mall had a massive heart attack instead. I'm just wondering what all caused such a quick decline... almost like it was purposeful (now who asked for that zoning change?)

I'll have to check it out once more before it closes. I can't explain it, but I find myself drawn to these older places that haven't been updated, and never will. Nostalgia I guess. It's like finding an original Stuckeys or something. I used to like how Northcross was in it's zombie state. It was much safer, though... still had those mall-walkers blurring by the 70's/80's original decor and mostly closed storefronts. Neato.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
I really wish the small african american community of east austin would stop complaining and protesting the closing of Highland Mall a few weeks back. Im not completely sure what the Texas Relays are, but they absolutely did the right thing. It was an issue of safety based on past events. I am in no way racial, but demographics prove time and time again that large numbers of african american people tend to have a higher liklihood of causing problems and getting into trouble with the law. This isn't my opinion it is a FACT. Look at ANY books/interet sites with statistics over the past few decades of which minority has the highest unemployment rate, highest murder rates, and highest poverty/welfare rates.

So, the higher up people at Highland Mall took all of this into consideration and made a well informed decision. Was it racial?? I guess it could be considered so, but I think it was a public safety issue more than anything else. But I must ask a question here--were any of these people making the decision african american? Im guessing no.

With regards to Highland Mall, it is a dump. The city has let it go into the crap hole based on the population who is most frequenting it. It has long been known that the population east of I-35 has been most neglected by the City of Austin and many other people who live West of I-35. I think the Highland Mall is pretty much a direct result of the city once again totally neglecting the east side of Austin as though it were a third world country or something of that nature. But it really isn't any different that any other city in the nation. Malls, or shopping areas that are mainly frequented by poorer, african americans, hispanics, or even some asians are typically in the worse parts of town and are generally more run down. Again, NOT my opinion, just check your facts people. (of nearly every major city in america)

I don't really think there is much that can be done with regards to the mall. It has been going downhill for years mainly because higher income people stay away and the big stores know this. (hence the Dillards move). If it remains open, it will almost certainly only have stores that cater to low income people or minorities. Im not sure that tearing it down is the answer either, but it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Dillard's wants out!

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2009/04/13/story1.html?b=1239595200^1808701

I don't blame them. That mall needs to be torn down and redeveloped!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:58 PM

147 posts, read 570,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
The city has let it go into the crap hole ....
OK. I gotta ask. Tell me how the city is responsible for Highland Mall?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,025,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Wow, someone is definitely looking to the future already. VMU could really integrate well with the commuter rail if done right.

Is there a link to this news item?
No, link. I was at Planning Commission this evening on another matter and the VMU was put into place as part of the Highland Neighborhood Plan.

This does not mean that redevelopment is about to happen, there are no surveyors out there preparing to demolish it! It is just a change to underlying zoning that will make a more appealing project to a developer (perhaps in partnership with the city) when and if General Growth Properties and Simon, the joint owners of the mall either sell the land or go bankrupt.

Having VMU in place will make things easier but it doesn't really change anything about Highland Mall today, unfortunately. And yes, there will be transit corridor incentives too.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,372,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I really wish the small african american community of east austin would stop complaining and protesting the closing of Highland Mall a few weeks back. Im not completely sure what the Texas Relays are, but they absolutely did the right thing. It was an issue of safety based on past events. I am in no way racial, but demographics prove time and time again that large numbers of african american people tend to have a higher liklihood of causing problems and getting into trouble with the law. This isn't my opinion it is a FACT. Look at ANY books/interet sites with statistics over the past few decades of which minority has the highest unemployment rate, highest murder rates, and highest poverty/welfare rates.

So, the higher up people at Highland Mall took all of this into consideration and made a well informed decision. Was it racial?? I guess it could be considered so, but I think it was a public safety issue more than anything else. But I must ask a question here--were any of these people making the decision african american? Im guessing no.

With regards to Highland Mall, it is a dump. The city has let it go into the crap hole based on the population who is most frequenting it. It has long been known that the population east of I-35 has been most neglected by the City of Austin and many other people who live West of I-35. I think the Highland Mall is pretty much a direct result of the city once again totally neglecting the east side of Austin as though it were a third world country or something of that nature. But it really isn't any different that any other city in the nation. Malls, or shopping areas that are mainly frequented by poorer, african americans, hispanics, or even some asians are typically in the worse parts of town and are generally more run down. Again, NOT my opinion, just check your facts people. (of nearly every major city in america)

I don't really think there is much that can be done with regards to the mall. It has been going downhill for years mainly because higher income people stay away and the big stores know this. (hence the Dillards move). If it remains open, it will almost certainly only have stores that cater to low income people or minorities. Im not sure that tearing it down is the answer either, but it could be.

Someone from Avery Ranch telling us about HM. That place is just OLD it is not in a BAD part of town. It is centrally located and plenty of people from all walks of life, background, means, and race frequent that place from Allandale, Cat Mountain, East Airport, UT, Shoal Creek, etc. It's just unfortunate that once a year they have problems at that mall due in part to one group of people showing up all at once.

The FACT is that HM is just not a nice place to go anymore because it has been neglected by its own management. It was like Capitol Plaza and Hancock Shopping Center one of the first malls in Austin. Later, replaced by BCM, and more recently by newer places like the Triangle and Domain. FACT is most people like to shop near where they live and places that are nice, new, and clean.

In the end, it won't matter because even if they move those retail places to other parts of town like The Domain all the people that frequented HM will suddenly show up at The Domain to do their shopping.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM

7,988 posts, read 10,332,852 times
I agree that Highland Mall is not a bad area at all. I think the mall has just gone to hell. Half of it is vacant, it's dirty, it's designed poorly. And I agree that malls in general are just not popular anymore. The more mixed-use, open air, neighborhood-feeling developments (Domain, Hill Country Galleria) are the new malls.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
That is simply NOT true. Many years ago, Highland Mall was frequented by many people throughout the Austin metro area. However, with mostly lower income stores left, it is heavily frequented by people from east of I-35. Of course, im sure there are still SOME people who shop there from central austin, but my guess would be those numbers have been dwindling through the years. I think the vast majority of people living in north and northwest austin shop at Lakeline Mall. Barton Springs mall caters to most people living in central and south austin, and of course the rich folk on the westside.

Once Highland Mall goes under, I think that the new Mueller Airport redevelopment has a better chance of attracting people residing east of I-35 than the Domain does. At least for now, the Domain is the highest end mall in the entire area. Most of it's stores cater almost exclusively to the affluent comminities in the austin area (similar to what La Catera shopping center does in far NW San Antonio) although I would say the Domain is slightly higher end than that even. I think the Domain (even with slightly lower end stores planned in Phase 2 and 3), with continue to cater to a more affluent Austin crowd.

Im not too familar with the New Triangle development since I haven't been there since it was under heavy construction. It seemed like a mixed use sort of area to me.

By the way, I never said Highland Mall itself was in a bad part of town. I am simply saying that it's location offers easy access for those who DO live in the lower income parts of town. (way easier than say Lakeline, or Barton Creek)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Someone from Avery Ranch telling us about HM. That place is just OLD it is not in a BAD part of town. It is centrally located and plenty of people from all walks of life, background, means, and race frequent that place from Allandale, Cat Mountain, East Airport, UT, Shoal Creek, etc. It's just unfortunate that once a year they have problems at that mall due in part to one group of people showing up all at once.

The FACT is that HM is just not a nice place to go anymore because it has been neglected by its own management. It was like Capitol Plaza and Hancock Shopping Center one of the first malls in Austin. Later, replaced by BCM, and more recently by newer places like the Triangle and Domain. FACT is most people like to shop near where they live and places that are nice, new, and clean.

In the end, it won't matter because even if they move those retail places to other parts of town like The Domain all the people that frequented HM will suddenly show up at The Domain to do their shopping.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,412,639 times
People who shop at HM will show up at the Domain? Are you kidding? Do you think unruly teenagers will drive up to an upscale mall that has nothing to offer them? Sorry ATX Homeboy, totally disagree with you.

Stores like Forever 21 are moving to barton creek, the Domain's 2nd phase wouldn't let a store like that in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin