Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Northpark is beautiful, as far as malls go. Barton Creek is ok, I mean, I go for Norstrom, but that's about it. I can't wait for Nordstrom to open up in the Domain...and i'm looking forward to the new Rack too!!!

I'm not much of a mall person, I guess.
Nordstrom won't open for a few years due to the economy. Also, the Domain is a mall, so I guess you are a mall person if you go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Ahhh, Highland tries to countersue Dillards. Of course, everyone knows this mall is worthless. Dillard's had nothing to do with it going to junk. Good luck with your case Highland.

Highland Mall strikes back against Dillard's - Austin Business Journal:

Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Nordstrom won't open for a few years due to the economy. Also, the Domain is a mall, so I guess you are a mall person if you go there.
No, I'm not a mall person. I don't like being inside a mall. I think I know what I like.

At the Domain, I stop into MAC, Sur la Table or the Apple store- it's errand driven. I'll shop at Norsdtrom whenever it gets there (I think it was supposed to be 2010, not it's 2012).

Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM

593 posts, read 1,377,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Barton Creek Mall? Shady? I have no idea what people are talking about when they describe the demographics of Barton Creek as 'shady'. The mall has become pretty upscale over the past few years. Once the Nordstroms came in, all the lower-end shops started to close. No more toy stores or any kind of cheap retail, it's all upper class for the Westlake and West Austin folks. The mall is very nice and we take our kids there a lot. I'm not a fan of malls, but there's nothing shady about Barton Creek. You want shady hoodlums, go to Highland. Also is it just me, or was ILikeSmartHippies post a little bit racist? ("On the dark as night side,") What does that mean? (Especially surprised because that mall is just full of Westlake ladies there to have a coffee drink at Nordstoms and sit in those big leather chairs chatting with their friends while their husbands work.)
I guess I should explain "shady." How about women who are only half clad in clothing, fake nails at forty, with GRILLS, and prison tats all over their body, looking like they just came out the joint.

And yes, there are many people who post on this site whose ethnocentrism runs so deep that if you scratch the surface of what they write their racist beliefs show through quite well.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Ahhh, Highland tries to countersue Dillards. Of course, everyone knows this mall is worthless. Dillard's had nothing to do with it going to junk. Good luck with your case Highland.

Highland Mall strikes back against Dillard's - Austin Business Journal:
Actually their response to the lawsuit sounded pretty strong from what I read.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not a mall person. I don't like being inside a mall. I think I know what I like.

At the Domain, I stop into MAC, Sur la Table or the Apple store- it's errand driven. I'll shop at Norsdtrom whenever it gets there (I think it was supposed to be 2010, not it's 2012).
Malls are malls, indoor or out. Doesn't matter if they are upscale, it's still a mall! Sur la Table is overpriced, you can find many of the items at other places for less money!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 PM

80 posts, read 251,049 times
I feel sorry for poor Highland Mall. I remember going there when I was a kid, and it was the mall to go to. Now, it's just sad ... all of the stores that I liked to shop at have moved out and have been replaced with weird electronics stores and shops that sell ... well, irrelevant doo-dads. I don't know how to explain it, but I saw the same thing happening at Northcross before its demise.

I still shop at Highland because it brings back memories of going there with my mom on Saturday mornings. I know it's not what it used to be, but ... I dunno. I just feel sorry for that poor mall ...

Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
Malls are malls, indoor or out. Doesn't matter if they are upscale, it's still a mall! Sur la Table is overpriced, you can find many of the items at other places for less money!
Ok. Great.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM

15 posts, read 55,414 times
Quote:
Ok. Great.
Good response.

I don't understand why people insist on classifying others. I like Nordstroms too, and I'm not a mall person by any stretch. I like listening to music at the Domain and watching the sunset, and most of the people who do are probably not 'mall people'.

How strange that this even matters to some folks.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 22,587 times
You know what, I went there because of the Dillards liquidation, I had not been in that mall in years!! It's so sad now!! It was the place to see and be seen when I was growing up!!! It's a shame the management of the mall has let it go to hell!! I still say it's a perfect place for a mall, just needs to have new life breathed into it!!

Look at Capital Plaza, it was as good as dead a while back, but now it's back to normal again!! Life can be brought back to Highland Mall!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin