Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM

153 posts, read 380,730 times

Advertisements

I have lived in many places, most recently I find myself on Long Island working in Manhattan. I spent a few years in Seattle, Philly, and 4 years in Austin as well, moving in 1990.

I always enjoy and make the most of my environment, but I hold a particular fond place in my heart for Austin. Perhaps it was because it was my youth, but I remember it as being such a carefree, relaxed and friendly place. Some fond memories:
  • The free T-Bird Riverfest every year in a park in central Austin. (I remember one year when Eric Clapton, Stevie R Vaugn and Bonnie Raitt all jammed on the same stage with the T-Birds.
  • Sitting on the bluffs above a lake with a cooler of Coronas and diving off the cliff on occasion to keep cool.
  • Living in a small apartment on W 8th street by the live oak and walking to 6th street.
  • 6th street being closed down on Saturday nights, cops on horses not bothering anybody as the party spilled for club to club and onto the streets.
  • "The drag", all the leftover hippies and coeds blending in to this funky area of Guadalupe. Visiting friends at the Taos coop.
  • Breakfast Burritos....
I have not been back since 1991, I've since grown up a bit, got married, have kids, career, etc. I have pondered going back to Austin with the family for a vacation, but wonder if going back would be a let down.

For you long time residents who remember the feel and flow of the city 20 years ago, is it still there? If it is, how does a family man closer to 40 than 20 tap into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Well I personally did not live in the Austin area back in the late 1980's, but I do know many people that did. I have lived here for almost 7 years and just in that amount of time, I have seen changes. Unfortunately, from everything I have heard, Austin has changed quite a bit and not really for the better.

With an additional 500-750K people since the 1980's, it would come as no surprise the traffic is horrible in most places throughout the city. With the exception of a few lightly travelled toll roads, the road system has remained unchanged since you lived here. The cost of living has also skyrocketed in the central parts of Austin, making it no longer affordable for most middle income families. The western hills of the city has been littered with Mcmansions everywhere which has more or less destroyed most of the natural beauty that was once western austin.

However, I do think that if you came back to Austin and stayed DOWNTOWN and central the entire time, you would be able to recognize the old "vibe" you remember. Also keep in mind the skyline has changed a lot since the 1980's. High rise condos are popping up everywhere which annoys a lot of longtime residents here.

Oh wait, since the 1980's there is a new airport as well. Its southeast of the city about 5 miles from downtown. (former site of Bergstrom AFB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
I have lived in many places, most recently I find myself on Long Island working in Manhattan. I spent a few years in Seattle, Philly, and 4 years in Austin as well, moving in 1990.

I always enjoy and make the most of my environment, but I hold a particular fond place in my heart for Austin. Perhaps it was because it was my youth, but I remember it as being such a carefree, relaxed and friendly place. Some fond memories:
  • The free T-Bird Riverfest every year in a park in central Austin. (I remember one year when Eric Clapton, Stevie R Vaugn and Bonnie Raitt all jammed on the same stage with the T-Birds.
  • Sitting on the bluffs above a lake with a cooler of Coronas and diving off the cliff on occasion to keep cool.
  • Living in a small apartment on W 8th street by the live oak and walking to 6th street.
  • 6th street being closed down on Saturday nights, cops on horses not bothering anybody as the party spilled for club to club and onto the streets.
  • "The drag", all the leftover hippies and coeds blending in to this funky area of Guadalupe. Visiting friends at the Taos coop.
  • Breakfast Burritos....
I have not been back since 1991, I've since grown up a bit, got married, have kids, career, etc. I have pondered going back to Austin with the family for a vacation, but wonder if going back would be a let down.

For you long time residents who remember the feel and flow of the city 20 years ago, is it still there? If it is, how does a family man closer to 40 than 20 tap into it?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I have lived in Austin since 1984.

Austin today:

Restaurants: Better (good breakfast tacos all over); I think Chuys is just as good as it was. Many more interesting places to eat. Austin isn't just a Mexican food and BBQ town any more.

Traffic: Worse by far. I-35 needs to be triple decker. 360 was a beautiful hill country drive - now it is a major commuter route on weekdays. Still beautiful.

Night life: probably better all things considered. Antones moved, still gets great acts but a bit less blues-centric after Clifford Antone died. Jimmie Vaughan still plays. Some new venues like the outdoor Backyard (it is moving to a new location) are terrific. Just about any night you can find some great music to see live.

Lakes: still beautiful. Lake Travis is more crowded on weekends but weekdays are terrific. The food at the Oasis is still bad but the views are great. Water quality is still terrific. Corona is still a terrible beer so I suggest choosing a better one next time you're on the lake.

People: still friendly.

Cost: higher, but on a national scale still very good.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
It's a better city today. Moderator cut: trolling

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-14-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
If you want to see the Austin you remember, I'd suggest checking out south of the river, north of Ben White. Plus a few other places around the city still have that relaxed feel you remember.

It HAS grown a lot and there ARE people who think that if it's changed to reflect where they came from or Generic U.S. City, that makes it a better city. But there's a lot of new people who understand why it had its appeal in the first place and treasure that, as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I moved here in 1989. So it's been 20 years this year that I've lived here.

Most of what you remember is still around, minus the river festival... However, SXSW and ACL fest have become far bigger than that festival was. Smaller fests like Eeyore's are still around. The hills west of Austin are much more built up, with big houses and office buildings; some might dislike this, but I personally think the urban hilly setting looks pretty neat. Unusual for Texas.

Will you be let down on a visit? Probably not if you stay downtown. It would be worth it, IMO, just to see all the changes. I'd expect you to go through a bit of nostalgia, some marvel at the changes, and some sadness that old hangouts may be gone. Basically, what's changed is --
  • A new skyline
  • A new airport
  • New sprawl
  • New roads (but not enough)
  • Double the population
  • New bigger festivals (SXSW may have been in existence in 1989, but it was tiny by comparison)
  • Mostly new stadium, several new UT buildings
  • New "big" museum (Bullock Museum)
  • New art musuem (Blanton)
  • New performing arts center (Long center, built where Palmer Auditorium was)
  • New name for Town Lake -- Ladybird Lake
  • New park off Ladybird Lake, on the site of the now-demolished City Coliseum

Finally, there is a very different economic vibe. When you were here, things were very slow: real estate values were in the toilet, rent was super cheap, crime was higher, and there wasn't much non-government or UT related employment. Perfect for a slacker, but not a great place for making a professional career. Now, by comparison, it's in an economic boom. Real estate is pricey, rents are high. Professional opportunities exist in tech, finance, advertising, etc... so you'll see a lot more young professionals in addition to the slackers. Everyone still pretty friendly though, and slower paced than bigger cities. But faster than Austin of old.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM

707 posts, read 1,846,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Sadly, those days are long gone. I don't even know if you can tap into it other than by using your memory.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,518 times
Yep, no more beautiful skyline. From BCM its all smog. There's no more Liberty Lunch, Backroom, The Backyard or the old cool hang outs but there are a few that still exist like Maggie Mae's, Esther's Follies, Continental, and Hole in the Wall. Some real good "new" resturaunts and still some old one's still around esp. down on Barton Springs Rd. It's real difficult to go to any large gathering simply because of the overcrowding like Barton Springs, Twin Falls, Lake Travis (Pale Face Park), SXSW, ACL, etc. There's plenty of sprawl and traffic. If you lived DT then it would all be totally new to you because now you can go both ways on 1st street and 2nd street and there's a new place called the warehouse district full of food and clubs instead of broke down old buildings, homeless, beggars, and immigrant workers. There are nice new things too though, like The Blanton, BobBullockStateHistoryMuseum, Lady Bird Flower Center, and the Long Center. The new airport is really the old air farce base. You won't find what you remember unless you look real hard. Places might still be there but the people aren't. Good luck in your quest.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
I think that when EVERYONE decides a place is hip, and it becomes on EVERYONE'S radar, it becomes either no longer hip, or the vibe is watered down, like any cultural phenom.......sorta like, if everyone's hip, nobody's hip, or with it.......that may be the biggest change in Austin...when it was off the national radar and smaller, it had a greater chance to create its own unique vibe and ambience, and the growth and overcrowding has certainly taken away from that......If I could sum it up, Austin has simply become far more like every other mid-sized metro.......and not quite the off the radar place it once was......and is currently in the process of redefining itself and its zeitgeist with the far larger scene it finds itself in now....

Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I think that when EVERYONE decides a place is hip, and it becomes on EVERYONE'S radar, it becomes either no longer hip, or the vibe is watered down, like any cultural phenom.......sorta like, if everyone's hip, nobody's hip, or with it.......that may be the biggest change in Austin...when it was off the national radar and smaller, it had a greater chance to create its own unique vibe and ambience, and the growth and overcrowding has certainly taken away from that......If I could sum it up, Austin has simply become far more like every other mid-sized metro.......and not quite the off the radar place it once was......and is currently in the process of redefining itself and its zeitgeist with the far larger scene it finds itself in now....
That's your opinion. Many would disagree. Austin is so much more unique than other cities and the growth hasn't changed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin