Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 AM

85 posts, read 566,891 times

Advertisements

Can there be 3 good reasons to move to Austin Texas and beable to call it my home town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 26,729 times
Thumbs up 3 good reasons to live in Austin Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl

Can there be 3 good reasons to move to Austin Texas and beable to call it my home town.
Yep!

In no particular order...

Great Music
Awesome BBQ
Friendly Folks

I moved here two years ago from the Los Angeles area...no regrets.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 PM

106 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl
3 reasons not to move to Austin...
  1. It's too hot!
  2. I'm not into scorpions or roaches thanks
  3. It's in the middle of nowhere (where is the nearest mountain? national park? decent ocean?)

Old 07-26-2006, 03:00 AM

118 posts, read 561,625 times
No decent ocean nearby? Does that mean the Corpus Christi area (or would it be Padre Island??) is not a good coastal area? Or just not close enough? I love the Gulf Coast of Florida... is the Texas Gulf not as nice?

We are thinking of moving from Los Angeles, and easy beach access is something we're not sure we can do without.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanas4
No decent ocean nearby? Does that mean the Corpus Christi area (or would it be Padre Island??) is not a good coastal area? Or just not close enough? I love the Gulf Coast of Florida... is the Texas Gulf not as nice?

We are thinking of moving from Los Angeles, and easy beach access is something we're not sure we can do without.

The Texas Gulf Coast is not the Carribbean by any means. It is even different than the Gulf Coast along Mississippi, Alabama & Floriday. Things have improved though. The days of the beaches in Galveston being awash in oil are gone. No more "WIPE YOUR SHOES/FEE" signs with large mats outside of EVERY establishment (thank goodness). You also have Corpus Christi, N. Padre Island, Port Aransas, S. Padre Island. If walking in the surf and listening to the waves crash on the beach is what you are looking for, it does still have that just like any other beach.

What you do have access to in Austin is a nice culture scene. Great music venues of all different varieties. The South By SouthWest (SXSW) is held in Austin every spring. You have the Hill Country, The Hill Country River Region that has an AWESOME State Park (one of the best in the state w/ the Frio River, Garner State Park), the Piney Woods of East Texas and then you can head out to West Texas for a change of scenery (it is NOT all flat, there ARE mountains in West Texas. Might not be Pikes Peak but they are "mountains"). You can head up to the Panhandle and check out Palo Duro Canyon and the show "Texas".

There is LOTS to do in Texas and in Austin.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanas4
The Corpus beach is not decent. Not by a long shot.

Flordia beaches/coast owns that of Texas, hands down.

Quote:
Then Houston or Corpus are you options, but if you're looking at Florida as well, then I'd go there for beach/ocean action.

Ours are downright shameful.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 AM

118 posts, read 561,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
The Corpus beach is not decent. Not by a long shot.

Flordia beaches/coast owns that of Texas, hands down.

Then Houston or Corpus are you options, but if you're looking at Florida as well, then I'd go there for beach/ocean action.

Ours are downright shameful.
Thanks for that info about TX beaches.... I was starting to get the impression that they aren't that great, but you've confirmed it.

Florida would be ok with me (perhaps) but my boyfriend has vetoed it. Austin is about the only place we can agree on. We're planning a recon trip in about a week to check things out.

I hope we can make do with the lakes in Austin. We love SoCal, but are so tired of working 24/7 just to scrape by. I guess with all the money we'll save on expenses, we can take trips to CA or FL to see the ocean.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
I don't know if I would call TX beaches "shameful", but no, they do not compare to Florida or some other tropical area. South Padre is beautiful. I have not been to Galveston in 20 years, so I can't comment on it. Still, if you just want to feel some sand under your feet and take a swim you'll be ok here.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 26,699 times
I need to contact people from Panhandle Texas.....Any help?
I´m from argentina and I,ve been in Austin in 1983...I think is a beatifull city. By the way, in the library of the University park I think ,there is a statue of Sarmiento, considered the father of letters in Argentina. Hugs. Javier

Old 08-08-2006, 08:19 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
The Port A and South Padre beaches are not shameful by any stretch,even if not Caribbean.We were in Ft. Walton Beach a few years ago,and while they are pretty,extremely white,and cleaner (no seaweed),after the initial impression of beauty wore off I found them to be sterile compared to Port A.No shells wash up,no starfish,no coyotes in the early AM wandering around.The wave action was pitiful compared to the long in and out waves of Port A.I think the beach rises out of the Gulf in Ft. Walton too quickly,and cuts the wave action down to about 6'.By about 5 in the PM the waves had eroded a little 1 foot cliff into the sand.By contrast,waves at Port A will run 20-30' up the beach,leaving sand dollars and other shells for scavenging.I guess it is all what you like.I find laying out on a pretty but sterile beach boring after a few hours,and enjoy roaming the Texas beaches more.To be honest,aside from the initial beauty of the white beaches at FWB/Destin,I found it not very different than sitting around a big swimming pool with sand dumped around it.I will probably never waste a trip to Florida again just for the beaches.

Last edited by lifertexan; 08-08-2006 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin