Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 AM

988 posts, read 3,244,772 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm moving to NYC in 2 weeks after being here since high school and college so, I came up with a top ten list of what i'll miss:

10. Our 2 seasons, Hot and the series cold fronts that we call "Winter". Never extended periods of cold.
9. Overall Safety.
8. Laughing at all of the pseudo-hippies here (Seriously, you have nothing in common with the real hippies of the 60s, except for the BO and long hair)
7. Lake Travis in the Summer
6. Hula Hut and the Oasis
5. Very friendly and laid back population
4. Town Lake (Lady Bird)
3. Texas BBQ
2. Nightlife and the endless amount of hot chicks (eye candy only, i'm married)
1. Tex Mex

I'm excited about NYC but I will miss Austin. Overrated to many, the best city in the world to the others so I came up with another top ten list of things that I won't miss so much.

10. Lack of authentic Chinese food (please don't say PF Changs)
9. Lack of diners (Magnolia comes close though)
8. So-called hypocritical Liberals, Ex: says that it is a progressive city but at the same time gets very nervous around black people.
7. Increasing Pretentiousness aka the SoCal effect is taking over.
6. Increasing Prices across the board on Real Estate (downtown is unaffordable to most..Austonian is ridiculously priced)
5. Unrelenting long and hot summers.
4. Beyond Terrible Drivers
3. Decreasing nightlife options for older than 30 crowd
2. Insufficient Road system-Terrible traffic (IH-35, need I say more)
1. Its no longer the Austin that it used to be.

Even though it no longer suits me, I still love Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,887,126 times
"Even though it no longer suits me, I still love Austin!"

---------------

I've always liked "Black Austin", if one spends enough time on the east side of IH35, one finds that there is nothing to fear...

"Old Austin" was looooong ago...

Northeast diners are great, don't order the chili, though. You will miss Austin Tex-mex and BBQ more than you can now imagine. Also, a ham sandwich and a beer will cost you $23 in NYC.

New York state and New York City income taxes are now around 30%, add that to your federal taxes due, comrade.

The Northeast is old, filthy, and unfriendly - and so are the people. You will go home with soot, yes soot, on your body and clothing.

Get used to a 30 minute drive to go 5 miles, traffic is worse in the NYC area than it is in Austin.

Have fun living in New Jersey, it's only a one-hour there, and a one-hour back daily commute.

Say hello to mobsters, corrupt police, and on-the-take public officials.

The Bronx is 3rd World - literally.

Twelve months from now you'll weep to come home to the Armadillo.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 AM

989 posts, read 2,492,589 times
Latikeriii, you're thinking about it too much. No city is perfect; just be where you're mostly happy and have friends. If you nit-pick you'll never be content. I don't like to pseudo-hippies either, for example. But if I lived in Fort Worth I'd despise the pseudo cowboys just as much.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,266,976 times
For the record, you should check out the cafe at Asia Market and First Chinese BBQ before you go. I don't know anyone who thinks PF Chang's is the real deal.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
For the record, you should check out the cafe at Asia Market and First Chinese BBQ before you go. I don't know anyone who thinks PF Chang's is the real deal.
Agreed. The person who told me that Asia Market was authentic and highly recommended it had moved here from China, so I figured they knew.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,659 times
Just some reflections from someone who moved from Austin in August 2004, so almost 5 years now. My partner and I moved to England where we spent three years and then moved to Wilmington, Delaware in Aug 2007. That's just to put some perspective on it. I guess I should also say we lived in Austin for 19 years before the moved, and had previously lived there 1974-76. Overall, I don't miss Austin and I think you can't really "go home again". If I could have one restaurant from Austin it would be Fonda San Miguel. Other than that I don't pine for Austin restaurants. I miss the hike and bike trail at Town Lake aka Lady Bird Lake (so named after we moved away). I miss the mild winters and early Spring, but don't miss the terrible summer heat at all! I miss Central Market. In terms of bars, I miss the bar part of Guerro's on South Congress. I miss the Southwestern Hispanic-influenced culture and the particular liberal culture of Central and South-Central Austin. I miss some of our friends and social life there, and yet don't really wouldn't want to return to live in Austin and take up those relationships again on an on-going basis.

Sometimes the only way to move on in life is to move. There isn't any perfect place to live, at least over the long run, since one's needs, circumstances and tastes change over time. Every relocation brings new life experience and adds to one's discernment. Every move entails advantages and disadvantages, but it's seldom I think that any move is an unmitigated disaster.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 AM

804 posts, read 1,959,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post

Northeast diners are great, don't order the chili, though. You will miss Austin Tex-mex and BBQ more than you can now imagine. Also, a ham sandwich and a beer will cost you $23 in NYC.

New York state and New York City income taxes are now around 30%, add that to your federal taxes due, comrade.

The Northeast is old, filthy, and unfriendly - and so are the people. You will go home with soot, yes soot, on your body and clothing.

Get used to a 30 minute drive to go 5 miles, traffic is worse in the NYC area than it is in Austin.

Have fun living in New Jersey, it's only a one-hour there, and a one-hour back daily commute.

Say hello to mobsters, corrupt police, and on-the-take public officials.

The Bronx is 3rd World - literally.

Twelve months from now you'll weep to come home to the Armadillo.
Such negativity, you'd be a good fit for the northeast . No place is perfect, and the OP is looking for a better fit. Get over it.

latikeriii - good luck on your move, you'll gain a great deal of experience in NYC. Austin is changing and you have some good points, especially regarding the changing attitude...

Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,020,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Just some reflections from someone who moved from Austin in August 2004, so almost 5 years now. My partner and I moved to England where we spent three years and then moved to Wilmington, Delaware in Aug 2007. That's just to put some perspective on it. I guess I should also say we lived in Austin for 19 years before the moved, and had previously lived there 1974-76. Overall, I don't miss Austin and I think you can't really "go home again". If I could have one restaurant from Austin it would be Fonda San Miguel. Other than that I don't pine for Austin restaurants. I miss the hike and bike trail at Town Lake aka Lady Bird Lake (so named after we moved away). I miss the mild winters and early Spring, but don't miss the terrible summer heat at all! I miss Central Market. In terms of bars, I miss the bar part of Guerro's on South Congress. I miss the Southwestern Hispanic-influenced culture and the particular liberal culture of Central and South-Central Austin. I miss some of our friends and social life there, and yet don't really wouldn't want to return to live in Austin and take up those relationships again on an on-going basis.

Sometimes the only way to move on in life is to move. There isn't any perfect place to live, at least over the long run, since one's needs, circumstances and tastes change over time. Every relocation brings new life experience and adds to one's discernment. Every move entails advantages and disadvantages, but it's seldom I think that any move is an unmitigated disaster.
Sometimes you read things written by others that speak to what you were feeling yourself, but couldn't put into words....this post does the same....
in the last paragraph, that is........

We change, AND our environment, past/present/future changes as well, and hardly ever in concert.....it took reading that to realize that Austin
will never be what it was......and was changing in the "what was" period as well.........

Seems like we(I) glorify the 70's-ish Austin.....the beginnings of ACL on PBS, the Armadillo World Headquarters, cheap rents, a mix of nice and seedy neighborhoods, smaller and slower, off the national AND even Texas radar, and so on........

That place is long gone......slight wakes still lap up in the shore of time to remind us all of what that time was all about, and much of it seems
to define the appeal and selling of the place to new residents, but it is ghost images of the past.......

SXSW says it all.....what WAS a regional music scene....funky, laid-back, iconoclastic, blissed and drugged out sometimes-entertaining ALL the time, became quite the corporate thing......the world decided to join the party, and Louis Black was the master of ceremonies/ringleader....

Louis Black - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A paper stirred from the ether, and "chronicled" the changing times, and progessive climb to the national radar, in the city...

The Austin Chronicle

And they came......the city itself doubled in population in less than 20 years.......neighborhoods and "apartment colonies/pods" grew out of the vacant north/northwest land like corn in the midwest after a spring rain......the nation "discovered" this new/wonderful place, and came with dreams/money/music/ideas/time.........roads and schools and stores and bars and more stores and more roads burst at the seams......

And now we have the "Austin" of today..........never the same again, but such is life........and life never sits still terribly long, does it?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:40 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,066,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Well, I'm moving to NYC in 2 weeks after being here since high school and college so, I came up with a top ten list of what i'll miss:

10. Our 2 seasons, Hot and the series cold fronts that we call "Winter". Never extended periods of cold.
9. Overall Safety.
8. Laughing at all of the pseudo-hippies here (Seriously, you have nothing in common with the real hippies of the 60s, except for the BO and long hair)
7. Lake Travis in the Summer
6. Hula Hut and the Oasis
5. Very friendly and laid back population
4. Town Lake (Lady Bird)
3. Texas BBQ
2. Nightlife and the endless amount of hot chicks (eye candy only, i'm married)
1. Tex Mex

I'm excited about NYC but I will miss Austin. Overrated to many, the best city in the world to the others so I came up with another top ten list of things that I won't miss so much.

10. Lack of authentic Chinese food (please don't say PF Changs)
9. Lack of diners (Magnolia comes close though)
8. So-called hypocritical Liberals, Ex: says that it is a progressive city but at the same time gets very nervous around black people.
7. Increasing Pretentiousness aka the SoCal effect is taking over.
6. Increasing Prices across the board on Real Estate (downtown is unaffordable to most..Austonian is ridiculously priced)
5. Unrelenting long and hot summers.
4. Beyond Terrible Drivers
3. Decreasing nightlife options for older than 30 crowd
2. Insufficient Road system-Terrible traffic (IH-35, need I say more)
1. Its no longer the Austin that it used to be.

Even though it no longer suits me, I still love Austin!

NYC is a city unique in the whole world. While it is vastly different from Austin there are so many things to love about it that there is no doubt you will have a great time. Especially as a single person at your age.

You will give up some things to live in NYC, but you get different things in return. You will never regret living in NYC because you will learn things about yourself at the same time.

Austin is a great place to raise kids, NYC is a great place to be a single or newly married 20/30 something. I also recommend living internationally at least once as well. London, Paris,Tokyo, hong kong, singapore etc, are comparable but obviously unique as well.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,664 times
For the OP, I lived in Austin for several years, went to school there, etc., and currently in Fort Worth. BTW, someone claimed FW has pseudo cowboys, no such thing; the correct term is "rednecks" nascar lovin, racist, Jerry Springer hateful rednecks! Dallas, is no different, they just pretend that they are not, so they over extend their credit and buy things they can't afford, but no matter, they will always be rednecks. I HATE DFW!!
Ahhh Austin, to be in my twenties again, and never leave school so I can be with those hot beautiful women. So young, and so very unapproachable, oh yes they will say hello, but then be own their way leaving you aching for more. At my current age, 40, for me to get their attention I'll need to own one of those pricy cigarette power boats with plenty of powder and refreshments on board - backed up by my Porsche parked at the local marina. What a drastic change to NJ, you couldn't pay me enough money. Perhaps maybe just enough to buy one of those cigarette power boats so I could come back to Austin. Kidding of course, but you will miss Austin, and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin