Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,423 times

Advertisements

New to Austin and bought a house in North part of Austin. Thinking of installing a hardwood flooring. If you have any recomendation based on personal experience, please let me know.

No idea where to start and what to choose between Laminated / Engineered / hardwood. Any recomendations which one is good for Austin weather.

Advance thanks for your time and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,533,525 times
If you can afford it get hardwood and have it finished. If done right should last a lifetime. Really doesn't matter abut the weather;its just a lifetime product.The only place I don't like it is in wet areas incase of a leak but some still do it and take the chance.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:30 AM

183 posts, read 684,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP.AUSTIN View Post
New to Austin and bought a house in North part of Austin. Thinking of installing a hardwood flooring. If you have any recommendation based on personal experience, please let me know.

No idea where to start and what to choose between Laminated / Engineered / hardwood. Any recomendations which one is good for Austin weather.

Advance thanks for your time and help.
We just (as of last week) has Lamett Bianco laminate flooring installed and I LOVE it. Everyone that has seen it asks if it's real hardwood. We paid about $4.25 sq. ft. installed at Carpet Mills. Carpet Mills has gotten some bad reviews, but we had an excellent experience with them. If you decide to use them I would recommend Rashid at the RR location (across from Sam's Club)

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,700,541 times
Take this into consideration:

A well-maintained hardwood floor can last a lifetime, and floating engineered hardwood floors can last anywhere between 40 and 80 years. On the other hand, a laminate floor is estimated to last up to 20 years.

This is b/c hardwood and most engineered wood floors - depends on the top layer thickness on the latter - can be refinished a number of times where a laminate floor will never again look as good as it did when you put it down.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,102,526 times
Unless you have solid handscraped floors, which can't be refinished because of the texture. But it looks so nice.

Is there any way to refinish then?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,423 times
Thanks for various input. Based on input we will try to go to hardwood / enginneered wood. I got one recomendation Carpet Mills. Any more suggestions ?

Adance thanks for your time & help.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM

7,993 posts, read 10,337,609 times
We used Austin Hardwood Flooring and were really happy with them.

I would go with hardwood over laminate. Laminate really doesn't look as good and doesn't do an much to boost resale on a house.

We went with pre-finished hardwood floors, but they can be refinished if we ever want or need to.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM

198 posts, read 498,720 times
Austin Hardwood Flooring just finished installing Anderson Virginia Vintage in the downstairs of our house. We also are very happy with them. Excellent installers and good value.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,700,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP.AUSTIN View Post
Thanks for various input. Based on input we will try to go to hardwood / enginneered wood. I got one recomendation Carpet Mills. Any more suggestions ?

Adance thanks for your time & help.
Some of the engineered wood floors are floating which means it is not so hard to install yourself if you want to save a few bucks. If you are going over vinyl or lineoleum you don't even have to remove it first as long as it is fairly level.

Larger stores in Austin for flooring:

Floor and Decor
Lumber Liquidators
Lowe's
Home Depot

Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 PM

29 posts, read 151,909 times
I've used Floor Coverings Int'l a couple of times. Their van is their showroom and they'll bring it right to your house so it's very easy to see multiple options right where you're considering using it. They're a local, family owned franchise. They do great work and are top-rated on a local, membership-based website in terms of both quality and value. Have you heard of Angie's List?

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-13-2008 at 11:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin