Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 27,016 times

Advertisements

I got a job with the university and I would like to walk to work. But I'm in my 40s, so I want to avoid student housing -although studios and efficiencies are fine. I look on Craig's List everyday. Which neiighborhoods are best? I had heard Hyde Park was nice, but what I saw looked dirty.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,479,085 times
You might want to consider North Campus, but what do you consider "nice"? (That's a very subjective term.) And what do you consider a reasonable walk to work? And, what's your price range, are you looking to rent or buy, are you looking for a house, townhouse, condo, apartment?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,911,679 times
Clarksville, bryker woods, old enfield

Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,911,679 times
Oh I just saw that you want to walk. West campus, north campus and Hyde park would be it- but it looks messy in parts bc so many students live there. Lived living there when I was at ut- couldn't imagine living there now, unless I had the money for one of those beautiful non-rented Hyde park mansions!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM

625 posts, read 1,135,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestontoAustin View Post
I got a job with the university and I would like to walk to work. But I'm in my 40s, so I want to avoid student housing -although studios and efficiencies are fine. I look on Craig's List everyday. Which neiighborhoods are best? I had heard Hyde Park was nice, but what I saw looked dirty.

thanks!
"...but what I saw looked dirty."

When do you need a place? Do you know where (school/dept/bldg?) on campus you will be spending your time? Even in nearby neighborhoods, like Hyde Park, most people are commuting, via-bus (UT shuttle) or bicycle, unless you are a few blocks away. Especially now with the heat, your walking radius (tolerance) might be shorter than you think. Plus, you're paying a lot more (overpriced) for less, in a student-dense area just off campus.

Also, are you aware that as a UT employee, you can commute for free using any of the capmetro bus services, including rail?

https://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/capmetro/

It sounds reversed, but if it were me, and I wanted to be close in, and mostly walk/bike/bus, I'd figure out which UT shuttles and bus routes have stops convenient to my work (bldg) on campus. Some stops might be opposite side of campus to where you need to be, and you might not want to have to trek from one end to the other! Then I'd learn which areas those routes go, and branch out from there on your house hunt. Use the trip planner to calculate total commute time (type 'UT' for some areas/bldgs):

Trip Planner: Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

At least then, you've got a backup plan (FREE) for bad weather (heat, rain, etc) when you don't want to walk/bike as much.

For starters, you probably do not want anything to do with West Campus (think Guadalupe "the drag", to 29th, to Lamar, to MLK); mostly undergrad population.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:17 AM

554 posts, read 1,062,347 times
I just looked at a decent 2bd duplex near Hemphill Park today. $1500 for like 1250 sq ft. Very nice street, quiet, easy walk to UT. The speedway area is where many of the students are. Hyde Park / North Campus has some very nice streets.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,082,273 times
Quote:

thanks!
I agree with the others. North campus is more of a mix of grad students, lower classmen, UT professors and staff. Plus a lot of people not related to UT at all.

The other area to check would be off Manor Rd east of IH35. Good mix there too.

Otherwise, not knowing your budget, the advice to locate further north near metro bus is good if you don't want to pay a premium for proximity. My wife's cousin works at UT, lives north of 183 off Rutland, and rides the bus daily.

Steve

Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 AM

625 posts, read 1,135,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I just looked at a decent 2bd duplex near Hemphill Park today. $1500 for like 1250 sq ft. Very nice street, quiet, easy walk to UT. The speedway area is where many of the students are. Hyde Park / North Campus has some very nice streets.
Surprising...usually slim pickens around here during this time of year! Lots of crappy 2/1 rent houses abound north of 38th for more than $1500. Stuff that used to go for $1200 has definitely gone up!

A friend just leased their small 2/1 house off 29th for $1800/12 mo lease! Whoa...

Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,146,289 times
Quote:

thanks!
Take a look at the condos and lofts just South of Campus near MLK & Lavaca.

Greenwood Towers Condominiums
1800 Lavaca Street, Austin, TX (512) 476-9710 Cambridge Tower

1801 Lavaca Street, Austin, TX (512) 478-7218

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,348 times
Good Luck! Everyone wants to live in Hyde Park and landlords know it. Depending on your budget I would try the Brentwood or Clarksville area but except to pay 1700 plus for a updated place. Keep it mind you also have to make 3 x your rent to even qualify for a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin