Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,775,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
Capcat must work for the tourism bureau!!! What great advice makes me want to go explore all those things (I have been here 6 yrs and have still not done ALL those things

Another suggestion would be the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center in the S/W area. (Stop by on your way to the Salt Lick!!! Its right on the way
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin
Hope you have a wonderful stay and a safe trip.
Thanks! And, I agree about the Wildflower Center. My daughter and I went there last year (my first time) so she could complete a wildflower project. I hadn't expected to enjoy it so much, but it goes down as one of the memorable times we've spent together. A very worthwhile trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,785,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The annual pun-off is on May 16th at the O'Henry museum. Tiny, but might be worth it to get a "real Austin" experience. You might even enter and even win a prize!
forgot -- O'Henry Pun Off information can be found here: PUN-OFF 2009

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,962,409 times
WOW! The kids are going to LOVE, LOVE, Schlitterbahn!! Thanks for the link!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM

477 posts, read 1,574,629 times
You HAVE to to to the Oasis. The view is incredible. On Friday night, there is a live band. You AND the kids will love it!

Last edited by CATXTransplant; 04-21-2009 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Good suggestions above - but I think Threadgills is perhaps 20 years running the most overrated eatery in Austin. Yeah I understand the history and legacy of the place but Chilis has better chicken fried steak.

Go to the Oasis and drink/snack there. The food is 20 years running mediocre at best.

Rent a boat or jetski on Lake Travis or take an evening boat ride.

Eat Chuys Special at the original Chuys on Barton Springs.

Eat crepes at Flip Happy Crepes.

Definitely see some music somewhere!
I have found the food at the Oasis to have improved in the last several years. I disagree regarding Chuys, its the most over rated food in Austin. Its certainly not Tex Mex, I'm not sure what it is. I have eaten mexican food from San Miguel de Allende, New Mexico, Arizona, Southern California and all over Texas. Its almost all better then Chuys.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
I agree that Chuys is nothing special - there are many much better places to eat Mexican food in Austin. The view at the Oasis is spectacular, but I prefer Iguana Grill, with a comparable view.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,798,865 times
Blanton Museum of Arts, Hamilton Pool Preserve, Pedernales state park, McKinney Falls State Park, arrive on 6th street before 9:30 or you will face horrendous and slow moving traffic ala: Manhattan.
You can check out the mountain tops in Austin. Hill Country Galleria outdoor mall is one of a kind. Whole Foods and Central Market are cool to roam. Mount Bonnell is an actual mountain that you can climb. http://www.actlab.utexas.edu/~captai...html#MTBONNELL

Other than that I don't know what else there is to do there. It's a nice place to visit for a week or less. It's good if you have family there. Enjoy Austin. Ignore the weird flaky folks as much as you can.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-21-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,328,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I agree that Chuys is nothing special - there are many much better places to eat Mexican food in Austin. The view at the Oasis is spectacular, but I prefer Iguana Grill, with a comparable view.
Are there great sunsets at Iguana Grill? If so, where is it located at?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM

544 posts, read 1,659,716 times
iguana grill is on 620 on the south (or is it west?) side of the dam -- they usually have live entertainment thursday through saturday -- wendy colonna's gonna do some gigs out there this spring which should be fun -- food's ok but margarita's are better

Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
Chuys isn't wonderful food. But some days chicken enchiladas with chicka chicka boom boom sauce just hits the spot.

The Iguana Grill has better food than the Oasis - but I hardly think the view is comparable. Iguana sits on a bend of Lake Travis and doesn't face west like the Oasis does. Don't mean to say Iguana isn't worth going to.

Just don't go to a stupid place like Carlos and Charlies. Unless you like saline/silicone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin