Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,817 times

Advertisements

I'm a liberal feminist Yankee (by way of New England) who has lived in Austin for the past 3 years, and not only have I not been run off, but I genuinely feel welcomed. I work in suburbia with a vast majority of people who don't agree with me at all on religion, politics, social issues, etc...but they (endearingly) call me the liberal Yankee and I (endearingly) roll my eyes and tell them how they're "such Texans" (which they take as the greatest of compliments) and we all get along great.

As long as you don't lecture or point out how people "should" act/feel/believe, you'll get along great with Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
I'm a liberal feminist Yankee (by way of New England)
Oh God, what's worst? A liberal feminist Yankee or a liberal atheist feminist Californian??? It's a draw.......

Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I can live with a liberal feminist yankee transplant with a great sense of humor like traceyr13 sounds like....after all, one of my very best friends that lives in NY is one and we can joke or spat with each other and still be friends

Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
I work in suburbia with a vast majority of people who don't agree with me at all on religion, politics, social issues, etc...but they (endearingly) call me the liberal Yankee and I (endearingly) roll my eyes and tell them how they're "such Texans" (which they take as the greatest of compliments) and we all get along great.
Sounds like me and my neighbors (except the conservatives are outnumbered here)! Agreed, Austin is a great place no matter who you are.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 AM

41 posts, read 91,730 times
I wonder why this feminist has such an inflated opinion of herself that she thinks it will actually matter to the people of Austin whether she's there or not?

Why would anyone give a damn?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
I have yet to encounter any sexism here. While I don't walk around proclaiming myself as a feminist, I am one and live my life that way. No one's had a problem about it as of yet. I work as a web designer at a marketing company with a lot of computer guys (and women). No one has ever talked down to me in regards to computer stuff... which HAS happened in SoCal & Boston.

As for religion. People definitely tend to be more religious and/or open out their religion here than either Los Angeles or Boston, I've found. More "in-your-face" about it. Since moving here there's been a lot of "Well I'm christian so..." and "I spent the weekend with my church group." People here seem to want you to know their faith, and there have been a few weird "religious" incidents since I moved here in August. Nothing major, though.

For the most part, people tend to be "live & let live" here. I've had a few pretty interesting discussions about religion with people.

Being from the east coast, I found LA to be pretty friendly, actually. The first time someone in a supermarket asked me if I needed any help, I thought he was hitting on me! He wasn't... he was just being helpful. Austin is a lot friendlier in LA. People do tend to (sometimes) just say hi for no reason, which is cool. Depends on what neighborhood you're in and the attitude you're putting out. The people here seem more genuine and genuinely nice as well.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I wonder why this feminist has such an inflated opinion of herself that she thinks it will actually matter to the people of Austin whether she's there or not?

Why would anyone give a damn?
Maybe it's because she gets prejudged and called names simply because she is an open feminist. Weird, huh?
She probably just wants to check the temperament of the place where she intends to move. Maybe she should rule out Alaska/Algeria but she will do fine in Austin because here, even when people do "give a damn" about such things, they generally remain polite.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I'm a liberal feminist Yankee (by way of New England) who has lived in Austin for the past 3 years, and not only have I not been run off, but I genuinely feel welcomed. I work in suburbia with a vast majority of people who don't agree with me at all on religion, politics, social issues, etc...but they (endearingly) call me the liberal Yankee and I (endearingly) roll my eyes and tell them how they're "such Texans" (which they take as the greatest of compliments) and we all get along great.

As long as you don't lecture or point out how people "should" act/feel/believe, you'll get along great with Texans.
I have yet to be called a Yankee! What the hell, Austin? Why are you holding out on me?!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 AM

326 posts, read 764,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I have yet to encounter any sexism here.
Sexism does exist here in Austin. It's just majority are not and act professionally in the office leaving very little room for the sexism to show.

I worked for a small company where everyone, except one guy, helped answering the main phone line while the receptionist was away from her desk. This one person would just leave the phone ring off the hook (often from clients) without answering it, if no one else was available. When asked, he replied "I don't wear a skirt". (He is well educated too - a very well known college graduate.)

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
Sexism does exist here in Austin. It's just majority are not and act professionally in the office leaving very little room for the sexism to show.

I worked for a small company where everyone, except one guy, helped answering the main phone line while the receptionist was away from her desk. This one person would just leave the phone ring off the hook (often from clients) without answering it, if no one else was available. When asked, he replied "I don't wear a skirt". (He is well educated too - a very well known college graduate.)
Sexism exists everywhere. I'm sure here, too. I just haven't had any issues or run-ins with anyone. And people in the computer field can be fairly sexist... nothing major but a lot of guys don't expect a woman (actually, they don't usually expect ANYone, to be fair) to know how to troubleshoot, etc...

As of yet, I haven't found that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin