Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This one person would just leave the phone ring off the hook (often from clients) without answering it, if no one else was available. When asked, he replied "I don't wear a skirt".
Heh, that would be a quick way to a short career at our company. Although, there is a group of employees that are somewhat technology challenged that we would never expect to be able to answer the phone and transfer it successfully (granted, the phone system has a million options). Maybe this guy is trying to cover up his tech deficiency .

Sexism exists in every city and every country, to some degree. Austin seems to have a bit less than other places, imho. I work at a 'woman owned business', and it is not some kind of gimick. The company was started (grass roots) 15+ years ago by a group that was comprised mainly of women and I doubt that one of them would even list sexism on their list of hurdles they had to overcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I have yet to be called a Yankee! What the hell, Austin? Why are you holding out on me?!
You are a Yankee! There, happy now?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM

326 posts, read 764,570 times
Quote:
Sexism exists everywhere. I'm sure here, too.
I was trying to convince myself more than anything. To this day (it happened a few years ago) I still can't believe how an educated professional thinks/acts that way in this day of age, given that most women in the office were doing much better jobs than he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Heh, that would be a quick way to a short career at our company.
That was the other thing that bothered me equally, if not more - the tolerance of this kind of behaviors from everyone else (including management). Besides making jokes behind his back, nothing was said or done to him. He continued not helping with phone calls (except that no one questioned or expected it anymore) and continued getting pay raise as everyone else.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
His choice of words was poor, no question. But, I guess if I was hired and paid well for a particular skill, and had a busy and demanding work load, I might feel it was a poor use of my time and my bosses money to answer the phone. Apparently his bosses felt likewise, as they continued to show that they valued him by giving him raises.

I didn't spend all those years getting an education, then getting licensed in my profession and putting in tons of overtime while I developed my skills, so that I could sit and answer the phone.

If everyone in the work place were equally skilled and the bosses made it clear everyone was expected to pitch in with the administrative tasks, then yeah, I don't understand why they didn't make it clear it applied to him as well. It sounds like it was a management issue.

I have had bosses like that, who were afraid to take on some employees over behavior or grooming problems. One lady had such bad B.O. numerous employees complained about it to the boss. The bosses response was "Well, summer is almost over so maybe it will get better soon."

Old 04-23-2009, 12:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
What exactly does it mean to be a feminist today?

What does a feminist believe in and how does it affect their daily life?

Serious question....

Old 04-23-2009, 01:05 PM

326 posts, read 764,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If everyone in the work place were equally skilled and the bosses made it clear everyone was expected to pitch in with the administrative tasks, then yeah, I don't understand why they didn't make it clear it applied to him as well. It sounds like it was a management issue.

I have had bosses like that, who were afraid to take on some employees over behavior or grooming problems. One lady had such bad B.O. numerous employees complained about it to the boss. The bosses response was "Well, summer is almost over so maybe it will get better soon."
lol, have to love a response like that from the boss.

All the managers and above were "expected" to chip in with the phone deal, but it was never clearly announced, because it only needed when the receptionist was absent, at lunch, or was pulled away to do other tasks.

The boss didn't like to be the "bad" guy. He would rather answer the phone himself, which he did, than having to deal with an employee over an issue like that. The same thing goes with raise, everyone got the same %, so no one could say anything (saved evaluation time and explanations).

Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Oh God, what's worst? A liberal feminist Yankee or a liberal atheist feminist Californian??? It's a draw.......
Ha!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,084 times
Quote:
I have yet to be called a Yankee! What the hell, Austin? Why are you holding out on me?!
Are you in the city or in the suburbs? Although, when I worked at UT, they all called me "the Yankee" also, so maybe it doesn't matter? I wear the label with pride, lol.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,493 times
What exactly do you have in California that you're looking for - as far as feminism goes, that is... I moved from CA to Austin recently, and I find it much more live and let live than many places in CA.

I'm wondering, what are your preconceptions of Texas? What are they based on?

Why not come for a visit, and see if you even like it before you invest your time in stressing about why you won't?

Oh, and about the jobs... The entire country is slowing down in that department. Don't move until you have one. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,229,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
Are you in the city or in the suburbs? Although, when I worked at UT, they all called me "the Yankee" also, so maybe it doesn't matter? I wear the label with pride, lol.
I'm in the city. Maybe it's time to break out my awesome Boston accent ovah heah?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin