Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 996 times

Advertisements

I've lived in southern Delaware (notice I say southern) all of my life, and I'm pretty sick of the winters up this way. Where I live here is in the middle of all of the major metropolitan areas, but still isolated due to us being on a peninsula. So the pay sucks, but the area is still pretty rural, which I love. A steady influx of retirees from the surrounding metropolitan areas has caused the local market to skyrocket unfortunately, and I don't feel salary is reflective of cost of living. So I've been checking out cities down south for awhile now that I might have a good chance of finding work in (I'm currently in IT management for local government), and Austin seems a good fit. I'm a bit of a backwoods redneck though, I drive a 25 year old Chevy pickup and a motorcycle in all my spare time, the hotter it gets, the better. I love being outside and out in the country. How far out of the city do you need to get to live in the country and have some good, affordable acreage around you? (I'd like to be able to shoot my guns and run around buck naked if I feel like it). I wouldn't mind a commute up to an hour if I did decide to work in Austin, but I'd be ok with a job in a nice town as well as long as it paid the bills. Thanks ahead for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
When I lived in the Balt/DC area I used to visit the beaches along the Delaware coast. Very pretty country there for sure.

I think you'd love Texas, it's definitely warmer than Delaware (84 degrees tomorrow in Austin on November 2nd to give you some perspective and y'all just had a blizzard a few days ago I heard).

Everyone and I mean everyone owns a gun here (even liberals do!) Everyone drives pickup trucks here too, but it's mainly city slickers pretending. Give me an old beatup Ford pickup truck (sorry I'm privy to Ford not Chevy) and I'm good to go. But once you get out west into Hill Country, you'll find some of what you're looking for.

I'd probably recommend Dripping Springs or somewhere out there for what you want. Lots of rural areas and plenty of areas to drive your pickup truck and shoot guns. And if you want to run around buck naked, it's legal at Hippie Hollow and that's fairly close to that area.

We ARE the mecca in the US right now. Everyone wants to live here and job competition is fierce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: