Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,366 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting a new washer and dryer and both the LGs and Samsung are very high rated on Best Buy's site. But I'm hearing rumblings that if there are problems, it might be tough to get repairs done because there aren't always local service folks who work on these brands. Anyone own these brands and had problems or good luck with repairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
if it makes you feel better, I bought a Samsung washer and dryer (front loading) last year, and they are still the bomb. Quiet, no problems, no leaks, computer interface controls almost like a PC. I would recommend them to anyone - they are cheap at Loews as well, both can be had for around $1500. I wouldn't buy the matching drawer pedestal that goes with them. at $200 or more each, they are a rip-off and do the same thing as a wire shelf over the appliance but a shelf won't eff up your back from bending over.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
We bought an LG dishwasher a few years back, and it turns out it had a bum motor in it. We contacted LG for service and they sent out a local repair guy to fix it. No problems since. Not sure if he is the only guy in town or anything, though .

Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
We bought a Samsung dryer last year. It was working great and then it wouldn't turn on. I called Samsung - who asked some troubleshooting questions. They concluded a warranty service call was needed. They gave me an incident number and the name of the service people. I called them before they called me but they came out two days later (because they don't come out to the Lake Travis area everyday). The concluded that the problem was "user error" - we occasionally opened the door while the dryer was running instead of stopping it first. A switch on the drum was stuck. I suppose that is a quirk of the Samsung since we used to do that all the time with our other dryers.

In any case - it was easy to get looked at - and the Samsung people (toll free number) were extremely easy to deal with.

I would buy Samsung appliances again.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
I have an LG front-loading washer and dryer. Bought them at Sears one year ago for about $1300 for the pair. They perform flawlessly, use very little energy & water, and my clothes come out looking really nice. The only problem I've had is a funky moldy smell coming from the washer, which I have since learned isn't a problem if you just keep the door open right after running a load (Austin's humidity requires the washer to dry out a bit in-between uses) and occasionally using the tub clean cycle.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 PM

36 posts, read 99,276 times
Our LG w/d is great... just DON'T get their refridgerators.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
If you're gonna shell out that kind of cash, I would get a Miele or Bosch or hell even a top of the line Kenmore(Pro-series).

Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,366 times
Thanks for all the responses! I'm not familiar with Miele or Bosch brands - are they known to be higher quality? I've not come across those names on the reviews I've read.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I'm not familiar with Miele or Bosch brands - are they known to be higher quality? I've not come across those names on the reviews I've read.
They're high end German brands... definitely top of the line!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 AM

207 posts, read 858,871 times
We bought front load LG washer/dryer about a year and half ago and love them. We got them at Home Depot when they were running 10% off and no interest/no payment for 12 months. Knock on wood, but we haven't had a problem yet. We have some friends that have had LG's for 3 years and still going strong.

We purchased an extended warranty for about $75/each that covers an additional 4 years after the manufacturer warranty expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin