Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:09 PM

80 posts, read 251,093 times

Advertisements

You know, I think that we're going to see theft like this go up exponentially. As part of my certification training, I had to sit in on night court. Was talking with one of the detectives, and he said that they anticipated a steady rise in burglaries/theft for at least 18 months (this was in December).

Two carjackings have occurred in my neighborhood - Old West Austin. I tend to think that area is safe, but one of the victims was my next-door neighbor who was coming home. Time to start locking your car doors when you drive ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 04:30 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
You know, I think that we're going to see theft like this go up exponentially. As part of my certification training, I had to sit in on night court. Was talking with one of the detectives, and he said that they anticipated a steady rise in burglaries/theft for at least 18 months (this was in December).

Two carjackings have occurred in my neighborhood - Old West Austin. I tend to think that area is safe, but one of the victims was my next-door neighbor who was coming home. Time to start locking your car doors when you drive ...
What kind of car does your neighbor have? Are the carjackers picking higher end vehicles or just random vehicles?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:30 PM

15 posts, read 55,418 times
Car thieves have two general goals. Either to joyride or to part out the car. The most valuable cars to part out are popular cars that have long lifespans, such as Ford F-150s and Honda Accords and Civics.

A few people are noting that it's 'common sense' not to leave valuables in plain sight. That's true, but there's no need to be unkind. A lot of common sense is overlooked in our society. It's not your fault if someone steals your car or your stuff, even if you leave the keys in the ignition. It's smart to be careful, but some people are happier if they trust their neighbors more than the most careful of us do. It's a shame that Austin's crime rate continues to grow. It's not as safe as it used to be, and while many people boast that Austin is a much safer place than other towns of its size, this is a huge problem that needs to be addressed.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 AM

106 posts, read 309,421 times
I'm just wondering why they stole my backpack full of school papers. Clearly they have no use for it, and I know it ended up in the trash. Same thing with the stereo. Instead of taking the whole thing they took my faceplate so I can't use the stereo anymore...

Do they do this just to **** people off?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,331 times
FYI, here's an alert that I just received from the Travis Co. Sheriff:

Bunny Run / Aqua Verde Neighborhood

Vehicle Burglaries are occurring in your area.

There have been several vehicle burglaries in the area of Aqua Verde in the last couple of weeks. For the most part, the unknown suspects have entered unlocked vehicles and have stolen property.

You can sign up for alerts if you're so inclined at www.citizenobserver.com

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoran View Post
I'm just wondering why they stole my backpack full of school papers. Clearly they have no use for it, and I know it ended up in the trash. Same thing with the stereo. Instead of taking the whole thing they took my faceplate so I can't use the stereo anymore...

Do they do this just to **** people off?
They took the backpack because most backpacks have either a laptop, Ipod, or Nintendo DS in them.

They probably took the faceplate because they're not very smart and assume that it has some value. I guess maybe it could have some value on ebay. People that go around breaking into cars aren't the brightest people anyway. They just try to take as much as they can as quickly as possible and they sort through it later.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritterbride View Post
The is the problem with a hatchback, station wagon or SUV. There isn't a trunk to hide anything. I have yet to find a solution except putting things under the seat. I always have my laptop with me on my way home from work, so if I stop anywhere then I'm a target.
I take my laptop inside with me... I keep it in a backpack so I can tote it around easily. Losing the data would be worse than the actual laptop in my case.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,331 times
KXAN is on the case!

Burglaries on the rise in 2009 | KXAN.com

Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 AM

106 posts, read 309,421 times
There have also been several home invasions/burglaries in the middle of the night in the Cedar Park area.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Default The Domain Parking Garage

Some months back our son's car window was broken and thieves took his radar detector. There was a security patrol, but they can't be in all places at once. In addition to his BMW, there was a Jetta nearby broken into. My brand-new Subaru was parked just a few spaces away, and I had left my purse in the floorboard. Duh!

mlb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin