Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 23,065 times

Advertisements

Am I welcome in Texas? Austin is #1 for jobs, and pretty much so is all of Texas- I need to find work but will the culture shock be too much and will I just get run off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Shoot!

Where to start? Lordy. Texas women could vote and own property before much of Europe!

Have you been taken in by old saying "Texas is hell for dogs, horses, and women"?

I wouldn't worry too much about the men, but there is a breed of lady-like yet tough as nails Texan woman (check out who saved the Alamo, started opera companies, and run historical societies in every texas town) who will eat your lunch!

(is it a mistake even to respond? is this a classic troll?)

Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
FYI- My husband is in IT. We moved here for my job and he still can't get one. Luckily, his old company back east is letting him work remotely indefinitely.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Circle C is the answer to all of life's problems. I'm guessing they have a welcome wagon that you can hitch to. I keep writing and deleting what I write in response to your post...that was fun. (I'm afraid none of it was appropriate)

Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprecho View Post
Am I welcome in Texas? Austin is #1 for jobs, and pretty much so is all of Texas- I need to find work but will the culture shock be too much and will I just get run off?

If you want some genuine feed back you need to write a lot more about your state in life.

It's also not wise to just move somewhere without having visited it first, unless someone who knows you well and lives here can vouch that it's a fit for you.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
FYI- My husband is in IT. We moved here for my job and he still can't get one. Luckily, his old company back east is letting him work remotely indefinitely.
That's great, lucky it worked out so well. Last year my husband was in California every other week for his job, this year he is able to do much more work remotely.

How goes the house hunt in 1A/1B?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Just curious, so I can offer a better answer, how does being a feminist manifest in your everyday interactions with others? In other words, if someone didn't know, what would be their first clue? Do you act a certain way, say certain things, have a distinctive appearance, share unsolicited strident views? What is it you think would get you "run off"?

I ask because a lot of people I know label themselves this or that, but in fact actually live their everyday lives like every other vanilla wafer doing the 9 to 5. I really wouldn't know one way or the other if they didn't tell me.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
So you announce you're an atheist in your Salt Lake City question and announce you can't be changed. You picked a city known for a particular faith.

I think you are a troll and simply want to provoke people. For some reason you pick Austin as a place you suspect might be hostile to a feminist? The state that produced Ann Richards?

Get serious.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think you are a troll and simply want to provoke people. For some reason you pick Austin as a place you suspect might be hostile to a feminist? The state that produced Ann Richards?
...and Barbara Jordan.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I was wondering from the thread title if somehow feminist was a job description in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin