Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
One of my favorite Pink Panther scenes - you have to wait till the end.

YouTube - Does your dog bite?
that is one of my favorite funniest jokes of all time. thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 AM

114 posts, read 471,994 times
ok pass on the .45. Try a knife or better yet, a baseball bat to the side of Mr rottweilers head next time you see it and you feel "threatened"....

Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
What is with the people who advocate taking baseball bats to dogs? You do realize that that constitutes animal cruelty and can get you in trouble with the law, right? Not to mention, such behavior is a strong indicator of the same kind of behavior to humans that happen to annoy you, sooner or later. (Not my theory, the FBI and other such agencies have found this to be the case.)

If you really have issues with fear of a dog, take pepper spray or something similar with you. Easier to carry than a bat, too. I, for one, wouldn't want to take on an attacking Rottweiler or anything else with a knife, though - too close quarters for comfort.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What is with the people who advocate taking baseball bats to dogs? You do realize that that constitutes animal cruelty and can get you in trouble with the law, right? Not to mention, such behavior is a strong indicator of the same kind of behavior to humans that happen to annoy you, sooner or later. (Not my theory, the FBI and other such agencies have found this to be the case.)

If you really have issues with fear of a dog, take pepper spray or something similar with you. Easier to carry than a bat, too. I, for one, wouldn't want to take on an attacking Rottweiler or anything else with a knife, though - too close quarters for comfort.
Seriously!

I'm not a violent person, but if someone took a bat to my dog because they "felt threatened," (not because she was attacking them) I would hunt that person down and give them the exact same treatment.

Some of us love our dogs as much as you love your children.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM

well then you havent seen any children mauled by dogs have you. Ive seen three personally, and for the record they were each attacked by the beloved family pets. Have you ever been attacked by a dog, ive witnessed it. A dog is an animal. If the owner can not or will not control it, then that is in your hands. On the subject of animal cruelty, killing a violent animal when it threatens you is self defense, not animal cruelty.

Oh and as to the pepper spray... do your research it is not effective with any certainty against animals and thats assumiong you can actually get the large dog as he runs at you or lunges at you with the spray, not too mention even have it avail for use.

So there appears to be some out there not living in the real world and oblivious to the POSSIBLE consequences of a dangerous animal. My original comment was only about half sarcastic to begin with. OH and as stated above, all animals are potentialy dangerous, not too mention one thats already showing signs of it. SO Id reiterate.. next time you get on the high horse, think about the 2 year old without a face because someone just talked to an irresponsible owner or thought theyd carry pepper spray.

End of my rant. Juts rest assured if the violent fido comes down the street with my kids anywhere near biting distance.. it will be the last time he did it.

Oh and you are right.. most normal people love children more than their animals.

Amazing ignorance

Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarmer002 View Post

Amazing ignorance
I couldn't agree more.

Pretty ironic you, who apparently has no problem bashing a dog w/ a baseball bat when he "feels threatened" (do you carry it around with you all day "just in case?"), has no problem "informing" us what "normal" is.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM

take a poll...

oh and the baseballs back could be a stick could be a flashlight whatever. The simple point is you either protect the dog or protect other people. you do what you want....

Im not rweally concerned about what "readymade" deems is normal.. back to the original poster... make it clear to the owner you will not tolerate an aggressive animal.. period.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Yes, there are dangerous dogs (and other animals). However, I'm really more concerned with dangerous people who think that it's entirely appropriate to advocate beating any living creature to death (or knifing it) over other more humane ways to deal with the situation. Why? Well, as I said earlier (and linked to in another thread on a similar topic), that attitude towards dogs and other animals all too often carries over to people and you get your serial killers and abusive spouses and other such delightful creatures.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
If a very large dog is actively trying to clamp onto my throat, I'm not just gonna sit down and let it happen. Feeling threatened and actually having the dog mauling you are two different things. If I feel threatened I'll back away. If I'm becoming dog food then I'm fighting back.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 PM

And the instance of being threatened to dog food is about a second...hence my point. I guarantee none of the ladies on twho are flamming me have that skill set, physcial or mental to control a threatening dog. Which by the way is why I am sure the original poster brought it up as they didnt know what to do.

oh and as to the adovcate of torturing animals ) im not) and a serial killer ( definately not) ,,

(In fact have an undergrad in veterinary science)

So everyone can take a deep breath and rest assured i do not adovcate torturing helpless animals, serial killing, beating spouses. ( yes i have run a dv clinic for spouses and filed about 500 protective orders) etc,. I advocate people being responsible with their animals and if they fail to do you do it for them. And that includes eliminating a threat if they pose one. Remember again for those too emotional to read. I said threat. No some helpless lil dog that gives a yelp when ou walk by. A threat as defined by a 100 lb rottweiler witha violent history as the poster originally outlined.

Thats my last comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin