Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 17,197 times

Advertisements

Hi, my boyfriend and I are moving back to Austin in a couple of weeks and we have a 3 year old pitt that is coming with us. I have been looking and have found a couple of places that don't have breed restrictions, but for some reason or another it just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. (and I'm not being too picky. lol) I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on places to live. If so I'm all ears.

(If you don't like pitts please keep you thoughts to yourself. I have heard it all and I'm not going to give up my dog.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
The problem is going to be that most property insurance companies have breed restrictions for liability reasons, so there's going to be a limited number of places. Are you looking for a house, apartment, what?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 PM

19 posts, read 59,013 times
Sunrise Bluff Apartments in South Austin has no breed restrictions.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM

I don't really care. I would like to have a house or duplex, but those can get costly so really whatever I can get.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,205,495 times
You might want to PM JustTheTemp and ask her about her complex. And view this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...erous-dog.html

Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 AM

What's your price range?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM

313 posts, read 783,018 times
lots of desperate people who can't sell houses are renting them. they'll not ask any questions I imagine. there was a thread recently about leasing houses: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...se-leases.html

I know there are realtors with clients who can't sell houses. you'd be doing each other a favor by calling them (assuming the dog is well behaved and just unfairly stigmatized)

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
lots of desperate people who can't sell houses are renting them. they'll not ask any questions I imagine.
Consider the possibility that their homeowner's insurance won't pay if the dog of the breed in question causes damage to someone, they very well might ask questions. (Not that the OP's dog would do any such thing, but that the insurance company can decline to pay a claim if a dog of a breed banned in its policy does, which might give landlords pause.)

Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,205,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Consider the possibility that their homeowner's insurance won't pay if the dog of the breed in question causes damage to someone, they very well might ask questions. (Not that the OP's dog would do any such thing, but that the insurance company can decline to pay a claim if a dog of a breed banned in its policy does, which might give landlords pause.)
Yeah, people are desperate... not stupid. I rent a house and I had to put lots of info about my cats & dog (names, ages, what they look like, breeds), and I even brought my dog in to meet the management company. I had to put down a (fairly large) deposit on each pet, and I agreed to have the carpets steam-cleaned when I move out. I'm pretty sure there were breed restrictions as well. I've only been living there since August. (my dog is a terrier, though, and not a restricted breed)

If your dog is well-behaved, I suggest offering all the above.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Yes, my dog is very well behaved. He actually is certifed by the state of Texas as a good citizen. He has been through all the classes and was used as a training dog. He is great with people and just wants to be loved on. He doesn't mind other dogs either. I was told that some places will accept him because of his certification, but the places that I have talked to that have breed restrictions won't even consider it.
As far as my budget, I would like to keep it under $700. And maybe lower if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin