Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,401 times

Advertisements

From Forbes' "The Business of Nightlife" section dated 08.22.06, 6:00 PM ET

Link: America's Drunkest Cities - Forbes.com

Quotes:

Each city was ranked in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism. Each area was assigned a ranking in each category, based on quantitative data, and all five categories were then totaled to produce a final score, which was sorted to produce our rankings. ( Click here for the complete methodology.)

Rounding out the top five drunkest cities are Columbus, Ohio; Boston; and Austin, Texas.

... Of course, just because a city ranks high on the list doesn't make it a den of debauchery. A top-drinking town could be populated by grandmas who imbibe a glass of wine every night to keep their heart healthy. And just because someone tips back a few beers doesn't make them irresponsible.

#5 Austin

State Laws 3(score out of 9*) Drinkers 10(rank out of 35) Heavy Drinkers 6(rank out of 35) Binge Drinkers 8(rank out of 35) Alcoholism 14(rank out of 35)
* An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the range of scores for State Laws as 1 to 8, instead of 1 to 9. The correction does not affect the city rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Oh I'm loving Austin more and more now. I'm very surprised New Orleans wasn't even in the top 5, much less number 1, at least by the sheer weight of having the most liberal alcohol ordinances in the country alone.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:12 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,401 times
I wanted to edit the subject of this post but couldn't figure out how. the forbes title is a too sensationalistic. It should be, "America's Highest Imbibing Cities" or something (unless Austinites are also very drunk regularly, which according to the rankings it's not). Anyway it makes it seem like a microbrew could be a good business, who knows. Just kidnap someone from Belgium first.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Okay, this is interesting. On my old street in Circle C Ranch, there was consistent imbibing almost each and every day, at the end of every day, in the warmer months of the year. Were people drunk all the time? No. Rarely actually. But there was definite drinking happening...mostly beer, rum and cokes or whatever in the big colored plastic tumbler with ice and our street rented a margarita machine a few times. I am not a big drinker so I was constantly hassled (in good fun) and I didn't think much of it until I moved to Seattle and I don't see my neighbors drinking much. Is it because people in Seattle don't drink? I think not...it's more likely that the warm weather in Austin is conducive to getting people out the house, socializing and having fun. My Seattle neighbors are inside drinking wine and I just can't see it! Although my BF in CCR moved away as well and she noticed in her new neighborhood they don't drink nearly as much (she's in Frisco TX)...so maybe it was just our street. Loved those people though...fun bunch. And I have to say, what a stupid list to have!!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
There should be a list of things NOT to tell people about yourself: 1. you don't drink and 2. you're a Christian. Those two things alone in Texas will be enough for the Austin demographic to hate you. We should all drink, do drugs, pass out, tell everyone higher powers are for sissies and consider ourselves liberal. (i can't believe i just said that)

Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
There should be a list of things NOT to tell people about yourself: 1. you don't drink and 2. you're a Christian. Those two things alone in Texas will be enough for the Austin demographic to hate you. We should all drink, do drugs, pass out, tell everyone higher powers are for sissies and consider ourselves liberal. (i can't believe i just said that)
Wait, aren't you the one moving here?

One thing you should know about Texas...we like our beer. And our wine, margaritas and so on. It's part of who we are. We don't knock people who don't, but we don't take kindly to being talked down to. You don't have to drink, no one cares.

You might consider Salt Lake City if you're going to feel so singled out.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM

Not feeling singled out minimom, just saying that it works both ways. People that choose to not imbibe don't like to feel talked down to either. Some of us don't take kindly to that. I certainly will not begrudge anyone the right to drink themselves to complete death if that is what they want to do. I've watched it so many times I've learned it's the freedom of choice to drink, do drugs, pass out, whatever.

The point I was making is some people DO knock others that don't do the same. It's difficult to know someone from just these forums. If you knew me you'd know I really do have an understanding that people love to drink, do drugs and whatever. Again, the point I try to make is it seems considered odd that those that DON'T may get the cold shoulder. That is why I say it works both ways.

Lastly, since I'm on a soap box, I have an understanding that many people drink without causing any problems whatsoever. However, and I only speak from experience here, there are many more that turn into complete an utter azzholes. I respect the power of choice.

And yes, I AM the one moving there...and I vote. Scary, I know. Sorry, no Utah for us. Although I've seen pictures and I wouldn't mind living there...it looks absolutely breath taking.

Oh, and I don't know why anyone would want to feel proud about being in the top of the drunkest cities. Perhaps I need enlightening.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I absolutely believe that Austin's ranking on this is due to 50,000 undergraduates in Austin. After all UT regularly ranks very high on the party school lists.

As a whole - from someone who has lived in Austin since 1984 - Austin doesn't per se have a drinking problem. Most of my friends drink - and none of them are problem drinkers.

Austin has some events where there is a lot of drinking. Mardi Gras, Halloween, and a few others on 6th St. are well known. And I suppose some of the bigger concerts attract many drinkers.

But that's the kind of city Austin is. Thumbs up from me.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Not feeling singled out minimom, just saying that it works both ways. People that choose to not imbibe don't like to feel talked down to either. Some of us don't take kindly to that. I certainly will not begrudge anyone the right to drink themselves to complete death if that is what they want to do. I've watched it so many times I've learned it's the freedom of choice to drink, do drugs, pass out, whatever.

The point I was making is some people DO knock others that don't do the same. It's difficult to know someone from just these forums. If you knew me you'd know I really do have an understanding that people love to drink, do drugs and whatever. Again, the point I try to make is it seems considered odd that those that DON'T may get the cold shoulder. That is why I say it works both ways.

Lastly, since I'm on a soap box, I have an understanding that many people drink without causing any problems whatsoever. However, and I only speak from experience here, there are many more that turn into complete an utter azzholes. I respect the power of choice.

And yes, I AM the one moving there...and I vote. Scary, I know. Sorry, no Utah for us. Although I've seen pictures and I wouldn't mind living there...it looks absolutely breath taking.

Oh, and I don't know why anyone would want to feel proud about being in the top of the drunkest cities. Perhaps I need enlightening.
The nanny state again. Just become some people don't know how to drink, no one should? I'm confused. You think that people in Austin look down their noses at people who are conservative, live in the suburbs, are religious and don't drink (which, btw, I totally disagree with....we are live and let live kind of people..). So. Why do you want to move here?

I vote, too.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The nanny state again. Just become some people don't know how to drink, no one should? I'm confused. You think that people in Austin look down their noses at people who are conservative, live in the suburbs, are religious and don't drink (which, btw, I totally disagree with....we are live and let live kind of people..). So. Why do you want to move here?

I vote, too.

Um, I'm not sure what the nanny state comment is about.

I'm guessing my last post did not clearly state my thoughts. If you would so kindly point out where I said no one should drink I would appreciate the insight. For clarification purposes I should also say that I'm being very narrow minded in some of these discussions because I'm only basing some of what I say from what I've gathered on these forums. (even though I know better)

I am not saying everyone in Austin looks down at people who don't drink, drug, and whatever. What I'm trying to say and obviously having some difficulty with is it seems that ON THESE FORUMS it's very acceptable to be of a certain view while having a different view is not so accepted. It does seem all rather contradictory.

Perhaps if I simplified it I might be able to understand it myself: the so called liberals seem more intolerant than the so called conservatives. I find this rather interesting. I'm also open to the idea that my lack of understanding or my lack of my OWN tolerance leads me to type as I do.

Yes, I would agree that the student population would indeed skew everything.

Also, the live and let live slogan, in my opinion, is simply rhetoric. Whoops, and to answer the question of why I want to move there. I don't. However, I DO want our family to be together and will do whatever it takes. I'm hoping that my negative little attitude about moving there will change because it's going to be so darned wonderful I'll have to cave and you'll find me showering flowerpetals on these forums!

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 04-27-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin