Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

Nowhere is a paradise, however, there are some towns and cities that seem to have far less problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROQO View Post
I don't live in Austin, but I can tell you this, whereever you go, where will be good and bad. This is not paradise yet, if you go to the Netherlands, Costa Rica, New Zealand, Africa, you will find problems.

Just do your research, explore, and hope for the best. Let's not complicate life so much. Anywhere you go will not be a paradise, you just got to make it as close to paradise as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
One is the U-Haul website. Check the price into Austin versus out of Austin with any city in the U.S. It costs a lot more to rent a truck coming here, because more people want to be here than anywhere else. That's an objective fact that can't be argued.
I think that's a bit overstated. All that shows is that out of people that use UHauls many are moving to Austin. Whenever we've moved long distance we've used a long haul moving service, same with most people we've known.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No.

When I visited the south area of Austin it was very cool. The shopping and hills were awesome, however, I didn't get to meet anybody there. So I could have missed out on the liberalness there. I missed Eeyore's birthday party too, now that looks liberal.
No, what? No, you didn't attend school at UT or work in Austin? (So what was the bit about how biased your Austin co-workers were against gays, then?)

But I'm not arguing that Austin is liberal, nor is it conservative. It's more independent than that, generally. Some people confuse independence and live and let live as liberal, when it's really no such thing, quite the contrary, in fact. We just don't care if you ARE a liberal, or a conservative, or straight or gay, or pink with purple polka dots, or Leslie - we just care what kind of person you are in your interactions with us, and the rest is your own business and as long as you don't try to make us be just like you or carry your flag, it'll remain that way. That confuses some people.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Perhaps it shows that the DIY yourself crowd is moving here. It could mean a lot of things, but I'm going with Steve on this one - it shows net inflow. Perhaps to get the full picture, check out the prices on ABF moving systems, Ryder, PODS or any other moving service.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
It might show a net inflow but does it really show "more people want to be here than anywhere else?" That was my main point, that's quite a leap. Maybe more people want to be in Hawaii but it is not practical to move there. I personally would love to live in Manhattan, and if I had endless amounts of $, I'd live there. But we don't, so we can't. That's not to say that I don't really like it here a lot and am happy to live here, and in the real world this is the best place for our family, but I think that looking at moving truck prices and concluding that more people want to live here than anywhere else is quite a leap.

Last edited by Jennibc; 05-01-2009 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Perhaps it shows that the DIY yourself crowd is moving here. It could mean a lot of things, but I'm going with Steve on this one - it shows net inflow. Perhaps to get the full picture, check out the prices on ABF moving systems, Ryder, PODS or any other moving service.
What is DIY? and what does it mean to be one?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:37 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Do it Yourself.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Maybe more people want to be in Hawaii
maybe you should checked the Uhaul rates.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 AM

important sidenote: when you use Uhaul and you fill out the agreement, check the fuel level before you sign the agreement (that shows terms of service, and fuel gauge level), don't take UHaul's word for it on the fuel. When I moved here gas was 3.50. I signed the paper saying it had half a tank, got about 5 miles away before I realized there was 3/8 of a tank. It was one of the big trucks with like a 80 gallon tank. I didn't think much of it until I got down here, and they were sticklers about it to the 1/32 of a tank. that descrepancy in the paperwork they gave me cost me $50 in gas as a result. I argued with the guy down here explaining what happened to no avail. I called the guy names I can't repeat and fists almost flew over it.

CHECK THE FUEL GAUGE BEFORE YOU SIGN THE PAPER - EVEN IF THERE IS A LINE OF 12 PEOPLE BEHIND YOU AT THE UHAUL.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Steve, as most here know, you and I don't agree on some things (shocking! considering we're both real estate agents and everyone knows all agents think exactly the same ), but this is an excellent post and this sentence sums it up nicely.
Austin-Steve put it very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin