Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I think that's a bit overstated. All that shows is that out of people that use UHauls many are moving to Austin. Whenever we've moved long distance we've used a long haul moving service, same with most people we've known.
Allied Van Lines and other full service movers track the same stats. Call them to price a move from Austin to California versus the other direction. Or from anywhere for that matter. It costs more to come to Austin than to leave for somewhere else because once they unload you in Austin, they don't have another load to pick up and head out with, so they leave Austin with an empty truck.

It's not an overstatement. It's simply a fact that can be proven, and I used it as an example because it's not subject to opinion or debate.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Steve, as most here know, you and I don't agree on some things
I wasn't aware that we disagree on much. On what issues have we disagreed?

Steve

Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Not really sure what you're asking... but yes, I have been a resident of Austin for several years (though not currently living there) and have the opinion it's just a bit overhyped and sugar-coated... and I do get slammed for saying that but it's true. You should be able to tell residents that our city has some shortcomings and isn't all that, without having them look at you like you just farted (or give you the same look when you mention you enjoy another Texas city).
This point was never further discussed in the thread, but I agree I heard a lot of this both while living in Austin and after having moved away. I hope some of this hysteria has faded a bit since then, but who knows. There are a few cities in Texas that seem to always get good press, and a few others that seem to get nothing but bad press and trash-talking. I don't think I even need to name the specific cities because most people know what I'm talking about. I don't know exactly why this is, and a lot of it is based on untruths or the way the cities were decades ago, but it is misleading and unfair for sure.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
...a few others that seem to get nothing but bad press and trash-talking. I don't think I even need to name the specific cities because most people know what I'm talking about.
I'll name them for you: Arlington, Beaumont, Waco, Longview, and anywhere in the Valley.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM

587 posts, read 1,419,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
No offense, but that's the kind of reaction you could expect anywhere when longing for your beloved insert other area or state here instead of where you and those you're communicating with live. Maybe share it with people in New England if you want a different reaction? Again, no offense intended, just a thought.
I agree with this so much. For example, we are currently leaving Phoenix to relocate to Austin for a MULTITUDE of reasons. There are so many things that we find "wrong" with Phoenix for our family that we can't get out of here fast enough.

That being said, look at my posts on the Phoenix boards. The only thing you'll really see me complaining about publicly over there is the schools. I don't see any reason at all to air my complaints about the city on boards where people love it. That's so counter-productive, because they're obviously not like-minded people or don't have the same desires for themselves that we do right now.

I would expect people to jump all over me if I were to post all the things I disliked about Phoenix, because those same things may be things those people value or enjoy. To me, it would simply be rude to put down things they may love. I guess I just don't see a point in doing it.

Remember, I chose to move to Phoenix 10 years ago, just as people chose to move to Austin, for whatever reason. Phoenix was a great fit for me 10 years ago, but I've changed a lot and now it's not such a great fit. Does that mean that Phoenix is terrible for everyone? Of course not!

I'd just rather talk about what I am looking forward to on the Austin boards than complain on the Phoenix boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROQO View Post
I don't live in Austin, but I can tell you this, whereever you go, where will be good and bad. This is not paradise yet, if you go to the Netherlands, Costa Rica, New Zealand, Africa, you will find problems.

Just do your research, explore, and hope for the best. Let's not complicate life so much. Anywhere you go will not be a paradise, you just got to make it as close to paradise as you can.
Exactly! We're not expecting Austin to be perfect and we're well aware of some things we'll miss about Phoenix that Austin doesn't have. But seriously, why dwell on those things ~ make the best of your life and what you have and you'll be a much happier person. No place is perfect!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Nowhere is a paradise, however, there are some towns and cities that seem to have far less problems.
Name them, because I don't know of any.

If by "far less" you mean "different", then I agree...that your word choice was poor. But like you said, nowhere is paradise, and various "problems" hold different weight to different people and different regions.

This thread is silly and pointless.

If there are specific issues you'd like to discuss, then do so. Don't just open a thread to say "Austin sux and everyone hates me for saying that" ... because, yes, everyone does hate people who crap on things with no apparent reason or rationale.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-01-2009 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Maybe our reasons for disliking a certain city are very personal and private.

City preferences and problems are subjective.

Sometimes there were people in the city that caused us a lot of pain and we couldn't under any circumstance find somebody to be our friend or to be supportive. Who wants to be in that predicament? It's too painful. If you can't relate or sympathize. Then that's not my issue, it's yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Name them, because I don't know of any.

If by "far less" you mean "different", then I agree...that your word choice was poor. But like you said, nowhere is paradise, and various "problems" hold different weight to different people and different regions.

This thread is silly and pointless.

If there are specific issues you'd like to discuss, then do so. Don't just open a thread to say "Austin sux and everyone hates me for saying that" ... because, yes, everyone does hate people who crap on things with no apparent reason or rationale.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:57 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post

Personally, I don't hate people doing that, I just feel kind of sorry for them. Obviously, the city's not a good match and the person is either not resourceful enough to make the best of the situation or does not have the resources to get out, and that's sad. Now, just because I don't hate someone doesn't mean that I don't tire of hearing about it.

By the end of my stay in Seattle I was starting to feel downright miserable, but I was very careful not to rant and rave to mere acquaintances about it, I only forced my very close friends to put up with it. I imagine that if I vented to most people I knew about how I found the city overpriced, dreary, small-minded, and overly pretentious, they would have become defensive and likely would have told me they didn't want to hear it. People everywhere react that way.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Excellent post. At least you can relate.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Personally, I don't hate people doing that, I just feel kind of sorry for them. Obviously, the city's not a good match and the person is either not resourceful enough to make the best of the situation or does not have the resources to get out, and that's sad. Now, just because I don't hate someone doesn't mean that I don't tire of hearing about it.

By the end of my stay in Seattle I was starting to feel downright miserable, but I was very careful not to rant and rave to mere acquaintances about it, I only forced my very close friends to put up with it. I imagine that if I vented to most people I knew about how I found the city overpriced, dreary, small-minded, and overly pretentious, they would have become defensive and likely would have told me they didn't want to hear it. People everywhere react that way.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
OP - there are many opinions on Austin that aren't "sugar-coated" so to say... you may just not find them as often.

Look who won this poll
//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...as-austin.html

Austin's "uniqueness"
//www.city-data.com/forum/7249421-post12.html

Underground (or maybe not so much) drug problem
//www.city-data.com/forum/7249421-post12.html

"Overhyped" Austin
//www.city-data.com/forum/6850222-post43.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/7401604-post62.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/7362252-post1.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...appointed.html

Now, whether or not all of these posts are completely legit or fair, I won't get into that. However, I do hear similar stories outside of this forum from real people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin