Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I am going to have to disagree with you. The Catholic church has no right to say what I can or cannot do with my body, especially since it's not an elective procedure, and my husband is in complete agreement. I find the notion outdated, backwards, and potentially harmful.

I am sorry for jumping to the conclusion on the potential of this being a "texas" or "southern" thing! A religious thing makes it all the more insane.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
Jenbar, the Catholic Church isn't telling you what to do or not to do with your body. They're telling you that they don't want to perform the procedure you require at their hospital. I may or may not agree with Seton's policy, but honestly, it doesn't matter because they have the right to conduct their business as they see fit.

I'm sure that if your procedure is medically required, your doctor will have no problem finding a suitable hospital for you.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope it all turns out well.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Hopefully your doctor has another hospital he is with. There are some doctors that only use one hospital especially if they don't want to be spread out all over town. Or they may be with one organization.

I do have to say I do side w/ Jenbar on this. The hospital is there to serve the needs of the community. The community at large if they find that certain medical procedures go against their beliefs then they should not be in the business. The state recently had a huge debate about pharmacists filling prescriptions for birth control and the morning after pill. It falls into the same catagory. If they don't believe in it that is fine just don't push your beliefs on me when it comes to something MEDICAL! The board of directors of a hospital and individual pharmacists are NOT going to know every medical condition of a patient/customer. They have doctors for that and it is the doctors and the patient to determine what best suits their situation not some people sitting in an office or a pharmacist that does not know me. If they are so strongly against it they should not be in that field.

If the hospitals are free to be against procedures that are "normal" and required for other uses besides just birth control then they are telling people what they can or can not do with their bodies. What happens if your in an area that only has one hospital and they are against it?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:47 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
I agree with AT...it would be no different if the hospital were owned by Presbyterians, Jews, or Jehovah's Witnesses, to me - they are running the hospital and they have to answer to their superiors (the Vatican). It's a private organization and unfortunately this is a situation where medical and religious can butt up against each other.

I have to believe that there is somewhere in the Austin metro that can perform whatever this procedure is. If not, then it sounds like there is a great opportunity for a non-religiously affiliated hospital organization to come in and shake up the Seton monopoly. Or, doctors should ask for privileges at other hospitals to protest the policy. But just as people have the right to refuse blood transfusions for religious reasons, the hospital has the right to refuse procedures as well.

That being put aside, I hope you can find a resolution quickly to your medical issues, Jenbar.

Last edited by gigi927; 04-04-2007 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: error

Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 PM

I can get the procedure done at an outpatient facility (Bailey Square) however, that will cost me a huge amount more of out-of-pocket money because it's a stand alone facility.

At least in my experience with doctors - they have affiliations to specific hospitals - usually one main one, with some also serving at a Children's hospital, if that falls into their specialty. His affiliation is with the Seton Healthcare system - so no, he couldn't go and schedule time at say - Round Rock Medical, etc...

It's ridiculous, in my opinion. I agree with Momof2 on this one. They are here to serve the medical needs of the community - and not pass thier judgements and convictions on those who don't share the same belief system. They should be there to HELP - and not turn away those in need of help.

Basically, it's discrimination. The vatican is also against homosexuality - will Seton turn away those they believe are gay?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
Jenbar, have you considered getting a second opinion? I think it would really help in two ways. First, a second opinion is really warranted for any operation, and second, you obviously will never feel comfortable having a procedure done at Seton, so perhaps the second opinion doctor has privileges at another facility.

As a woman, I feel a hysterectomy is a really drastic and possibly life-changing operation. If it's necessary, then of course you have to have it done. But definitely go into it with eyes wide open. Having the best doctor and a facility you feel comfortable with is most important. I just don't see religion playing a part in this decision, especially since you have said you're an atheist. You're not going to change Seton's philosophy or policy, so concentrate on your health. That's what is important at this point.

Again, I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 PM

39 posts, read 154,100 times
I can remember my (non-catholic) Physician explaining to me why I couldn't have a sterilization procedure performed at my preferred Catholic surgical center - "We would get in a lot of trouble....maybe for forever". We went down the street to another surgery center - no biggie!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Glad it worked out so easily for you.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

128 posts, read 394,849 times
Default This country was built on seperation of church and state

What a shame - -I do not think this is what our forfather's had in mind.

Good luck!

SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin