Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 AM

260 posts, read 904,583 times

Advertisements

To answer the original question-- I'm definately not considering pulling my son out of school. We only have 5 weeks left and I'm keeping my fingers crossed our school district doesn't see any cases so we can remain open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
The difference between school closures and UIL cancellations are that UIL events bring kids together from different areas. I think school closures are premature at this point, but closing schools does, of course, stop the spread of illness. The spread of many less (potentially) serious illnesses have been stopped by a week off for spring break. I don't think we're to that point yet, so my child will remain in school for now. I plan to take the media coverage fwiw, go to the doctor if we get sick and, overall, continue to hope for the best. This one's different, but I vaguely remember the swine flu scare back in the 70's and lining up for a flu shot then. Also, many other illness scares over the years.

Last edited by capcat; 05-01-2009 at 07:27 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 AM

99 posts, read 421,745 times
Apparently the doctor's email is real, but he is backtracking on some of his statements:
Dr. Gitterle's Swine Flu Email Overblown, Officials Say

And a bit of good news, an article in the LA times states that in fact this flu may be less severe than the typical seasonal flu.
Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild - Los Angeles Times

Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Did anyone hear about the flu making it's way to Williamson County? I heard a rumor at work yesterday that a case was discovered in either Taylor or Thrall but can't find confirmation. A friend just sent me an email about Hutto canceling their UIL's and other extracurricular events, like the Cinco de Mayo program and Mother and Fathers day parties. They also made a rule that parents aren't allowed past the front office.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Did anyone hear about the flu making it's way to Williamson County? I heard a rumor at work yesterday that a case was discovered in either Taylor or Thrall but can't find confirmation. A friend just sent me an email about Hutto canceling their UIL's and other extracurricular events, like the Cinco de Mayo program and Mother and Fathers day parties. They also made a rule that parents aren't allowed past the front office.
That is statewide love roses. There are lots of schools in Texas closed.
All field trips are cancelled too..just those up to and including 5/11.
Any field trips, events past 5/11 are still on schedule unless the state decides otherwise.

Pflugerville ISD has up to date info on their web page and says no PISD students reported sick.

Check Hutto's main web page for updated info. From what I've seen/read only 2 schools in Austin closed for "suspected" flu symptoms..nothing confirmed in our area that I have heard or read.

Here's PISD's website with the info:

http://www.pflugervilleisd.net/news/index.cfm#swineflu2
snippet:
Yesterday, on the recommendation of Dr. David Lakey, Commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services, and in consultation with Texas Education Agency Commissioner Robert Scott, the University Interscholastic League altered its schedule of events due to the outbreak of the swine flu in Texas. Yesterday, all UIL competitions were suspended until May 11. As a precaution, Pflugerville ISD has also canceled all extra-curricular events effective immediately until May 11. As of Friday, May 1, the following cancellations and postponements apply:
  • All facility rentals
  • Field trips and other student travel
  • Non-District use of any facility except church service rentals
  • PTO meetings, campus programs/presentations where the public is invited
  • Field Days unless totally operated by campus staff

Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM

326 posts, read 764,754 times
I heard some fundraising activities were postponed in Bastrop due to "one confirmed case and 7 suspected cases". But I don't know how and who confirmed the case or it's just a rumor.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Well, it's not Taylor because I was just there doing some errands (and getting some Louis Meullers bbq, which I've not yet had but am REALLY enjoying right now! But that's another story). The High School was open. The Bastrop rumor is kinda scary. I was just in Bastrop for that Yesterfest and ate at a restaurant there afterwards. Hope I didn't touch any infected stuff

I guess Hutto is just following the State rule then. But they also follow what Pflugerville and Round Rock do so If they cancelled things other than UIL then so would we.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Not much choice when the state calls the shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin