Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,957,229 times

Advertisements

Let me second the Gullet and Allandale suggestion! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Overall, I'd say that Gullet Elementary in the Allandale neighborhood best meets your criteria, close to a great park and greenbelt and walkable to shops and restaurants. Getting in under 300K might be tricky but with a good realtor and patience can be done.

good luck!
Gullett would be my choice as well. The 'problem' would be the middle school- Lamar- which doesn't have a great reputation, but you have time!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
.The 'problem' would be the middle school- Lamar- which doesn't have a great reputation, but you have time!
It would definitely depend on the needs of the child. I have friends with kids in Lamar right now who are having a wonderful experience. I think that the Gullet kids tend to "rule" at Lamar, while HP kids tend to go private. I think (and hope) that Lamar is rapidly improving. But you have to judge for yourself as your child gets closer to that age. There are also well-regarded magnet middle school programs.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM

105 posts, read 378,928 times
Wow thanks for all of the feedback. I really like the sound of Allandale and Gullet, but am concerned about what we can get for $300k. My husband would love a newer, suburban style house (which seems like what we'd find in SW austin feeding into Mills and the other area schools, right?) but my style is more vintage bungalow.

I'm trying to find a compromise for us and be realistic, because I know on our budget I'm not going to find a big remodeled Craftsman near a great school. Hence, my search for a neighborhood more centrally located that doesn't feel so suburban but a house that's not a tiny cottage in need of lots of repairs.

I think after reading all of your comments, I should continue to monitor Allandale and SW Austin. If anyone has any other suggestions for keywords or neighborhoods I should be including in my search I really appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It would definitely depend on the needs of the child. I have friends with kids in Lamar right now who are having a wonderful experience. I think that the Gullet kids tend to "rule" at Lamar, while HP kids tend to go private. I think (and hope) that Lamar is rapidly improving. But you have to judge for yourself as your child gets closer to that age. There are also well-regarded magnet middle school programs.
The anecdotal evidence I've heard is that Lamar is kind of 'rough', and has gang issues. Of course, this is one or two parent's opinions. I'm sure there are great kids and teachers there, too!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
SW Austin is a great place to raise young kids. Many of us are former central austin dwellers who migrated toward more modern homes and better schools but who at heart are still funky central austin people. We're like baby-boomer 2nd gen hippies who make money, cut our hair, bathe our kids, drive mini vans and occassionally wear Dockers and shirts with collars.

But don't let that fool you. My wife's CD changer in the Odyssey is loaded with Eric Clapton, Santana, and Beatles cd's.

Steve

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Quote:
When looking for a good realtor, do you all think it's best to find someone who has very specific experience/interest in the neighborhood you are looking for?
Absolutely. But just as important, you want to be a good fit with personalities. Some Realtors are very script driven and follow the ABC (Always Be Closing) mindset and others are more laid back and don't mind letting you go at your own pace.

The basket of potential errors and mistakes that can be made in buying a home is very large though, so you don't want a greehorn who doesn't know what they don't know and thus can't protect you as well.

Steve

Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM

105 posts, read 378,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

But don't let that fool you. My wife's CD changer in the Odyssey is loaded with Eric Clapton, Santana, and Beatles cd's.

Steve
wow, Eric Clapton... really funky Steve! Sorry couldn't help myself.
I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to keep looking in Allandale and SW Austin. I think they are totally different vibes and types of houses but will be good to see what comes up in our price range.

Another plus for SW Austin would be that the schools are good all the way through HS right?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Quote:
Another plus for SW Austin would be that the schools are good all the way through HS right?
Pretty much. Bowie is a very good HS, and Austin HS is good, while Crockett is considered not so good. There will be a new HS in the next 3-5 years, probably, out on 1826, which should be a decent HS by the time it has a few years to get its footing.

For middle school, I think probably Clint Small is probably hard to beat in the AISD system, although there is also a new one opening on Slaughter.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:17 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,346,146 times
Barton Hills and Barton Hills elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin