Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 06:58 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times

Advertisements

As Rodney king said in 1992..."Why cant we all just get along".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
As Rodney king said in 1992..."Why cant we all just get along".
I wish stuff like that never had to happen. Here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,614 times
Default My response to yours is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I find it odd that anyone would care whether someone parked their car in the garage or in the driveway on their own property (with the obvious exception of someone parking a nonrunning vehicle permanently in the driveway and never washing it. If it's washed and looks like it was driven, big whoop.

So, for me, the real question is, for those for whom this is an issue, why do you care?
My response to your's would be why does it bother you that someone is curious about the lack of garage usage? I can add that some people actually have people living in their garage temporarily as I heard of someone's daughter living there when there wasn't any room for her and her kid inside her father's small house after she had moved back to his state.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM

16 posts, read 32,248 times
We relocated to Oregon a year ago and moved on a street with 500k homes. We have a 3 car garage and park both cars in the garage. Isn't that the logical place to park a car? The neighbor across the street has a 3 car garage and park both of their cars in the driveway. The next door neighbor has a 2 car garage and park both cars in the driveway. Both neighbors have so much crap in their garage; they can't get a single car in it.

As you go down our street and homes get smaller, cars seem to increase for some strange reason. Not only do these people park in the driveway, they park all along the street.
Really downgrades the look if you know what I mean plus I agree, there is a safety issue as well as a hell of a lot of oil slicks where these cars have parked, another unsightly look.

After all these years, I'm still trying to find a neighborhood where people take a little pride but I am beginning to believe it doesn't exist.

Last edited by 23runner; 01-05-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23runner View Post
We relocated to Oregon a year ago and moved on a street with 500k homes. We have a 3 car garage and park both cars in the garage. Isn't that the logical place to park a car? The neighbor across the street has a 3 car garage and park both of their cars in the driveway. The next door neighbor has a 2 car garage and park both cars in the driveway. Both neighbors have so much crap in their garage; they can't get a single car in it.

As you go down our street and homes get smaller, cars seem to increase for some strange reason. Not only do these people park in the driveway, they park all along the street.
Really downgrades the look if you know what I mean plus I agree, there is a safety issue as well as a hell of a lot of oil slicks where these cars have parked, another unsightly look.

After all these years, I'm still trying to find a neighborhood where people take a little pride but I am beginning to believe it doesn't exist.
Well, we have a ton of pride in our house and park in our driveway. It is my property and my right to park in my driveway. I'm sorry that you don't like seeing cars in driveways. But that is your opinion and taste not everyones.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM

13 posts, read 66,044 times
People that park their car in the driveway/street = people that mow and then blow their trimmings in the street AND leave them there = the same people that cover their yards with gaudy plastic blow up decorations during Christmas. Come on people, have a little pride in your home and neighborhood!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM

22 posts, read 69,432 times
I bet it's more convenient for them to park outside the garage. Though, I think if that's the case I can't blame the one who does it.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Well, we have a ton of pride in our house and park in our driveway. It is my property and my right to park in my driveway. I'm sorry that you don't like seeing cars in driveways. But that is your opinion and taste not everyones.

I have to agree here. If the car is in good shape and the only thing "wrong" is that it is parked in the driveway that is, indeed, designed for parking in, I fail to see any issue with it other than a need to control what others do to suit one's personal taste.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kau1890 View Post
People that park their car in the driveway/street = people that mow and then blow their trimmings in the street AND leave them there = the same people that cover their yards with gaudy plastic blow up decorations during Christmas. Come on people, have a little pride in your home and neighborhood!
And you get this connection how? I haven't observed that to be the case just because some people choose to park in their driveways. I think you're stretching here.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,581 times
I use to live in south Austin near Bee Caves and Barton Creek (I wouldn't consider that area low income).
Not many people in our neighborhood put their cars in their garage.

The only time we ever put our cars in the garage is when...

- There's a hail storm.
- We expect a lot of people so we make room for parking space.
- If it won't be used for a while, like when we go on vacation.

The rest of the time it's just too much of a hassle to open and close the garage door every time we need to leave. Everyone in my family has a car because we need it. We all have different schedules.

The way our neighborhood was designed allows for parking on the side of the streets because the streets that run through are very wide. Even if there are cars parked on both sides, there's still plenty of room for two way traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin