Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

I will stay out of judgments as I don't want to get sucked into the argument, but I will say what I do. I *always* park my car in the garage. I do this for practical reasons mainly. In the summer, my car that's been parked in the garage is the same as the ambiant temperature, around 100 degrees. If I park my car in the driveway in the blazing heat, my car is like 140 degrees. In other words, a garage makes the heat easier to take. I can have my car cooled in seconds versus minutes.

The same is true in the winter. I've noticed my garage usually is around 50 degrees in the winter whereas it can be 20 degrees in the morning with frost outside. It's a lot easier to just press a button to open a garage door, get in a car and turn on the heat and drive away than it is to put defroster on high to warm up car, scrape ice, then get into a still freezing car. Again, my car is warmed up in a few minutes instead of 10-15 minutes like it would take on really cold mornings parking in the cold.

That's just me, I'm practical. But I don't judge others for parking in the driveway. If they like getting into a car where they burn their hands on the steering wheel, more power to them. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Oh and I also seek the shade at parking lots at the grocery store... Maybe that's why the heat doesn't bother me as much as other people here who are purposely parking in the sun in a hotter than hades climate and then complaining about the heat?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Even I'm tired of this thread... just park inside your garage and there won't be anything to talk about
Or, get a hobby that isn't worrying about what other people do with their own property, and there won't be anything to talk about, either!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Before I saw this thread (what, a year ago?), I never even thought about parking in the garage vs. not parking in the garage....and totally stopped thinking about it until I saw this thread again

Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 18,588 times
No, our garage is not full of crap. Moderator cut: off topic/personal We are not slobs or use our garage for storage. And what is it your business anyway what is in someone's garage? Geez!

We are one of two condos that have the smallest garages. We will be lucky to be able to get into our cars.
No, the driveway is not short. No sidewalks.
Its for aestetics reasons only.
Yeah, I agree this is tiring...Swore we would never move into a place with an HOA again.
Thank goodness we are renting. As we will be moving when our lease is over.
Problem solved.
NEXT.

Last edited by Bo; 01-18-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times
Most people in Austin don't park in their garage because most garages aren't meant for Tahoes,Suburbans, and F-150's. Many people in Austin use their garages for storing their junk, or making another room to enjoy their longhorn games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
So while I was walking today I noticed something interesting. In the area of my neighborhood with the lowest priced homes most people park their cars in their driveway even though they have a 2-car garage. In the mid-priced area there are more cars in the garage, in the higher priced there are few cars in the driveway and in the highest priced section there aren't any cars parked in the street or the driveway (despite the same HOA regulations across the neighborhood). Anyone ever noticed this? I know it is a weird question but I'm just wondering why. For the record we sometimes park in the driveway when we have stuff in the garage but usually we make the effort to keep it clean so we can park inside.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Most people in Austin don't park in their garage because most garages aren't meant for Tahoes,Suburbans, and F-150's. Many people in Austin use their garages for storing their junk, or making another room to enjoy their longhorn games.
This is so annoying in my neighborhood. These people watch loud games, listen to loud music, and have loud parties in their garages late at night. I am not sure why they can't do these things inside their house. Then early in the morning I get woken up to them reving their trucks engines for ten minutes. It's like these rednecks want nothing more than to disturb my sleep. The kicker is these people are all middle aged with families and I am the mid twenties single guy that should be waking them up.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Or, get a hobby that isn't worrying about what other people do with their own property, and there won't be anything to talk about, either!
Sorry, call me crazy but I like to maintain my property value.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbybluebell View Post
sorry, call me crazy but i like to maintain my property value.
no bluebell! Dont let her draw you in again like she did last time!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 18,504 times
Well, might as well add my fire to the flame.

I have two vehicles, only one fits in the garage -- and it's not due to having too much "stuff." Sometimes one car will be in the garage, sometimes not.

I keeps the robbers guessing I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin