Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM

207 posts, read 858,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
You said you're going to wait, but isn't there a certain timeframe between the hail storm and when you need to file a claim and have the work done in order for the insurance company to pay-out?
The only time frame stipulation I have is for depreciation. I have one year to fix the roof to recover the amount of depreciation. It was only $180 so I'm not overly concerned about it right now.

My check was made out to me and my mortgage company. In my case it was Chase bank. I walked in there, they made a phone call to verify that I wasn't behind on my mortgage (or anything else they could check I presume), made sure the check was good, photocopied my drivers license, and endorsed the check and I was on my way.

I decided that for now that money would better benefit me if I invested it in a nice high-yield corporate bond fund with monthly dividends and a 9.5% yield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Just curious....in these situations (not my case), if someone were to sell a house with a discalimer that the roof needs replacing and offers cash back at closing to allow for that, is that still considered insurance fraud?
Because of the many changes in mortgage financing these days, a good portion of mortgages are FHA loans, and the roof would have to be replaced prior to closing.

And in a nut-shell, it's never a good idea to disclose you know something is wrong and tell the buyer they can fix it after closing. They have way too many things to worry about and it just complicates things. If you know it needs to be replaced, just do it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
[quote=tourbound129;8684874]

I decided that for now that money would better benefit me if I invested it in a nice high-yield corporate bond fund with monthly dividends and a 9.5% yield.[/quote]

If you're getting those kind of numbers on anything 'safe', I'd put more than the 'roof' money in it!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 AM

207 posts, read 858,746 times
[quote=10scoachrick;8696359]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourbound129 View Post

I decided that for now that money would better benefit me if I invested it in a nice high-yield corporate bond fund with monthly dividends and a 9.5% yield.[/quote]

If you're getting those kind of numbers on anything 'safe', I'd put more than the 'roof' money in it!
I certainly did. My wife and I will probably max out our IRA contributions for the year with that fund and I also cashed out some savings bonds that were paying 4%. I'm shoveling as much as I can afford in there right now.

I guess its as safe as a "junk bond" fund can be.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,392 times
In Texas, it is illegal for the roofing company to pay the deductible for you. Doing so is insurance fraud for both the home owner and the contractor. Most roofing contractors know this even if the homeowners don't. I know it's tempting to take the money and run, but it's fate that your tempting. The insurance companies almost always keep a portion of the money until after the job is complete. This is called the Recoverable Depreciation. The only way this can be obtained is by turning in the invoice showing what you have been billed and what you have paid the roofing company. To get the full amount, you have to submit these documents saying that he is charging you the full amount of the estimate including your deductible. If he is charging you less, then the insurance company pays less of the Recoverable Depreciation. You can't get your deductible paid without submitting a falsified invoice. Not only are you breaking the law and risking heavy fines and potential jail time in extreme cases, but you are dealing with a crook.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
I work for a roofing company & you all do not have a clue what you are talking about.....I don't know you, so I have no reason to lie to you. The insurance comapny gives you some money upfront & the "depreciation" check, once the new roof is put on. If a roofer does the work for less than the insurance money, then the insurance company keeps the difference- it doesn't go in the homeowner's pocket. Lets say you are getting $10,000 for the roof. Ins pays you $6,500 upfront. Once roof on, then ins pays you the remaining $3,500.................... Let's say you talk the roofer into doing it for less, say $8,000. Then the roofer sends a final invoice to the ins company for $8,000 & ins pays you $1,500 more. You have no more money in your pocket & the insurance company kept $2,000. You might as well pay the roofer more, since you don't keep anything anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: