Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,219 times

Advertisements

The original poster mentioned not being able to find a career job, though didn't mention what line of work he (she?) is in. That matters a lot no matter where you live. Graduate from university with a flimsy major, then expect flimsy opportunities. I have had 3 different recruiters contact me about the positions below (as example, and others like it). Yes this is during a recession. I'm not interested in this position because it's a tech job and I am R&D. Though it indicates what a company is willing to pay right now for an IT job. I have had similar positions forwarded my way. All I did was post my resume on monster.

Hi ILikeSmartHippies, I came a crossed your resume on Monster, I thought that I would reach out to you to see if you would be interested in this position with AT&T. [etc etc] This is a 1 year contract position. Hourly W-2 pay rate will be $45.00 to $50.00 Hour. [etc etc] Qualifications: 1) VoIP Testing Expert Required 2) Unix Skills Expert Required 3) SIP Protocol Analysis Expert Required 4) Diameter Protocol Analysis Expert Desired 5) LAN Networking Intermediate Desired. Responsibilities: VoIP IMS Lab Support Project Description: Project is to provide lab and Field support for the IMS labs being used to develop, test, and support the Consumer Voice Over IP project for Project Lightspeed. These labs are in Austin, TX. Job Description: Contractor will be responsible for operations, maintenance and testing in the Systems Integration and Production support Lab. Will also include testing with the Field instance. [etc etc etc]

... The funny thing "about this job market" is that I had 3 recruiters call me for the same position. My normal contractor rate is $100/hr. Though $50/hr for a test tech position seems solid. I would certainly like more opinions on the career job position thing here in Austin. I haven't really started looking yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhardt View Post
1. I do not feel comfortable with strangers here in Austin. I feel better with only a small group I know in Phoenix. And get that not everyone in Phoenix knows me. I only know 10-12 people I grew up with.
Quote:
8. I am really homesick.
I really do feel like these are the main true reasons why you don't like it in Austin.

I have old friends that moved away, were separated from their long-time social circle, and became homesick. They found every reason to be unhappy with their situation...mostly to convince themselves that the only option is to move back to what is familiar.

That might not be your situation and Austin may simply just be a bad match, but from my experience, it isn't Austin that's the problem - it's the fact that you can't seem to (or can't wait to) establish yourself here (socially, financially, etc). But that isn't uncommon - I had the same problem when I first moved here to go to school at UT. Fortunately for me, though, some of my best friends I left in Houston ended up moving here, so I sort of lucked out on the whole "establishing" myself thing.

Best of luck to you in finding some meaningful employment.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,331 times
Sorry to hear it's not working for you. It took me 8 months to find a job when I moved here in 2005. When I did find a job, I hated it so much; it was the worst job I ever had but I got up and went every day. I worked hard to to move up, got promoted and finally left it after 18 months. I love the job I have now and have good friends that I made at both places.

I miss my friends, family and diners too. But not enough to go back to NY!

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
Phoenix is 6% black. Less than Austin.
Nationally, the US is only 13% black, so Austin isn't that different. Most of the black population in the US is in large Northern cities or in the rural Deep South. Austin is neither of these, yet it's still very close to the national average for blacks. So if how black the city is is a major concern to you, and you're leaving Austin for Phoenix, prepare to be shocked, even if it is your hometown.

Just because there isn't a huge black population does not mean that the town isn't diverse. You also have to remember that the whites and hispanics are coming from very, very different backgrounds and this also provides diversity.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM

22 posts, read 50,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Phoenix is 6% black. Less than Austin.
Nationally, the US is only 13% black, so Austin isn't that different. Most of the black population in the US is in large Northern cities or in the rural Deep South. Austin is neither of these, yet it's still very close to the national average for blacks. So if how black the city is is a major concern to you, and you're leaving Austin for Phoenix, prepare to be shocked, even if it is your hometown.

Just because there isn't a huge black population does not mean that the town isn't diverse. You also have to remember that the whites and hispanics are coming from very, very different backgrounds and this also provides diversity.
You do not understand diverse. And yes, I seen St. Louis reputation, they have a equal number of whites and blacks. Please, do not make me change thought about Austin, because I already bought a bus ticket with a help from someone. My decision to leave Austin is final. Plus, how diverse when most whites in the south come from the German and Irish. I studied U.S. History in ACC, so I would know there isn't much to whites but German and Irish. As for hispanics, Aztecs. Mexico = Aztecs. Please, enroll in U.S History and they will explain about those parts of the states. And my instructors name is Jack Bucco. I got to go, but I never seen any diversity here at all, I am shocked at the changes in Arizona, but I wasn't going to be there that long, i.e St.Louis, Miami, San Diego (the three places I will settle after school before Canada).

Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,386 times
Quote:
I am shocked at the changes in Arizona, but I wasn't going to be there that long, i.e St.Louis, Miami, San Diego (the three places I will settle after school before Canada).
Being a Canadian, your last comment attracted my attention. What part of Canada are you considering relocating to eventually? I agree that many cities in Canada are very diverse with large populations from around the world, most parts of the country will not be all that different from Austin for what you are complaining about.

Don't fool yourself. No place is perfect.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
Quote:
You do not understand diverse. And yes, I seen St. Louis reputation, they have a equal number of whites and blacks. Please, do not make me change thought about Austin, because I already bought a bus ticket with a help from someone. My decision to leave Austin is final. Plus, how diverse when most whites in the south come from the German and Irish. I studied U.S. History in ACC, so I would know there isn't much to whites but German and Irish. As for hispanics, Aztecs. Mexico = Aztecs. Please, enroll in U.S History and they will explain about those parts of the states. And my instructors name is Jack Bucco. I got to go, but I never seen any diversity here at all, I am shocked at the changes in Arizona, but I wasn't going to be there that long, i.e St.Louis, Miami, San Diego (the three places I will settle after school before Canada).

But on a more serious note, that is just factualy incorrect. Mexico does not equal Aztecs. The Aztecs were one of a large number of indigenous tribes in Mexico before 1519. Since then, the Spanish have come and intermarried, as well as brought Africans with them, resulting in mestizos, mulattos, zambos, white Hispanics, black Hispanics, and indios. Then you have to look at the large Hispanic population in Austin from outside Mexico--because it does exist. The white population in the south is actually much more Scotch-Irish and English than Irish and German. The Irish and German immigrants largely settled in the Northern US. There is a big German influence in Texas, not so much an Irish influence. There are a lot of Scots-Irish descendants from Appalachia and Tennessee who make up the stock of many Texan families today. The Scots-Irish and Irish are two different peoples with a completely different history.

Half white and half black in St. Louis is not that accurate. The St. Louis metro area might be half white and half black, but it's not integrated at all. The black community is largely in St. Louis City and East St. Louis, while the white community is in St. Louis County and the suburbs. Austin's is much more integrated--there is not really a huge, centralized black community in Austin. The simple fact is that Austin is much more representative of the national racial distribution than a city that is half black and half white. St. Louis does not have a very large Hispanic community, for instance, while in the US the Latino community is now larger than the black community and much faster growing. It doesn't mean you have to like it, but it's a fact. Diversity is also not just black and white--it's red and brown and yellow and a whole bunch of other colors, as well as cultures and attitudes.

No one is trying to stop you from leaving--go ahead. All we are doing is correcting the many misconceptions you've listed for those who might read this board in the future.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-08-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
Quote:
I am suddenly very troubled by the thought of what is now passing for a college level history at ACC. It's true that German an Irish may have been the initial settlers in this area (I don't know that but will take your word for it) but TX hasn't been frozen in time. Over the past two hundred years there have been waves of immigrants into this country from eastern and southern Europe and they didn't all stay in the Northeast after getting here. Heck, my husband is half Italian and half French Canadian and we live here. Consider what a mobile people Americans are and how the invention and of the automobile and airplane have affected population changes.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 AM

98 posts, read 295,208 times
I don't think anyone on here is trying to talk you out of moving. If you don't like it then go, to each his own. I think it is more that you are trying to have your opinions become fact. This is how you saw the city and everyone else is able to say, I see it a different way. They are not saying stay, just I don't agree with you. You posted on a forum and that's what you will get. If you are looking for everyone to support you maybe you should be talking to your friends and family and not strangers on the internet.

Good luck, with your move.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,645 times
Quote:
...Plus, how diverse when most whites in the south come from the German and Irish. I studied U.S. History in ACC, so I would know there isn't much to whites but German and Irish. As for hispanics, Aztecs. Mexico = Aztecs...I got to go, but I never seen any diversity here at all...
You should visit the Institute of Texan Cultures in San Antonio to learn more about the ancestry of Texans.

Meanwhile, take the initiative to make self-improvements (everyone has to), toss perceptions based on ethnicity (your own and other's) and you will do better, wherever you go.

Good fortune and happiness to you in your new surroundings.

Last edited by capcat; 05-08-2009 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin