Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 PM

22 posts, read 50,071 times

Advertisements

I am not saying the biggest gripe is smiling people. Some people are shady in Austin. I have to break this down. Some people are very shady, and I just can't trust no one who smiles at me random. I can't tell what their intentions are to me or what they plan to do. Not anyone else, but the "please be real and not fake" situation is false. They are literaly fake.

Good news and bad news, a friend of mine tried to purchase a ticket for me. Bad news, (straight from my e-mail; plus I got back from Greyhound), so I see,

Quote:
I just got back from the Greyhound bus depot and I tired to buy you the ticket there....WELL
I can't buy it for the 90.00 price unless I use a credit card..and I am NOT gonna do that...sorry to tell you bud...but I can't keep my promise...even though I tried...it was $181.00 one way...and online 2week fare is 72.00 +18.00 fee.....So bud
So now that dampers my chances on moving out of Austin. I just want to get the hell out because I am unhappy here. I just want to start over back home.

Third, some people false smile because they do not really mean it. They are stuck with that because they have nothing really to show or afraid to show their true intentions about you. So, that's what I seen so far.

Last edited by Leonhardt; 05-08-2009 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: To fix a quote from a e-mail I have recieved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:57 PM

134 posts, read 491,063 times
Sheesh! I really think you are taking this whole smiling thing a little too seriously and putting way more thought into it than it deserves. I don't even know you, but I would smile at you on the street just to show you that I am a friendly person and I wish you a good day. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_ly View Post
Sheesh! I really think you are taking this whole smiling thing a little too seriously and putting way more thought into it than it deserves. I don't even know you, but I would smile at you on the street just to show you that I am a friendly person and I wish you a good day. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well you realize that I have never grew up in the South (Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, and Kentucky; North Flordia is considered too southern like) and I never realize Southern Comfort, but I do not like southern states due to it's raw history. I am originally from Phoenix, Arizona and grew up there in my childhood. I do not have time to be friends with strangers who I am afraid are going to disrespect me of what I like, how I feel, and what I am looking for in life. I just not into what the South has for me, because what I seen are not to my liking. My sister left here because she didn't like southern black men and has some same reasons me and other people have. Lily, I know it sounds funny and crappy, but I just can't trust anyone I meet and not know them well enough. You never know if they have a real crappy best friend who doesn't like you for no reason, or some friend who wants to kick your ass to make himself or herself a god or goddess, and then there are some that take advantage of your kindness. I am sorry if I typed like this, but I see what comes to what strikes towards you.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:15 PM

437 posts, read 638,486 times
Regardless, Austin is still a great city to enjoy for most. But I think it is better to live in San Antonio and just commute to Austin whenever. I used to go there often and party or have a good time going out. I would not move to Austin from San Antonio though for a number of reasons. One is that it's simply too close to home. I'd rather move more north to perhaps Dallas/Arlington.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhardt View Post
So now that dampers my chances on moving out of Austin. I just want to get the hell out because I am unhappy here. I just want to start over back home.
Anyone up for taking a collection?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,497,649 times
I hope all goes well with your relocation. Best of luck.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:34 PM

428 posts, read 1,064,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree completely. I smile at strangers and it means nothing more than I am a nice guy and I hope you are a nice guy/gal.
Me too.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:27 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhardt View Post
Well you realize that I have never grew up in the South (Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, and Kentucky; North Flordia is considered too southern like) and I never realize Southern Comfort, but I do not like southern states due to it's raw history. I am originally from Phoenix, Arizona and grew up there in my childhood. I do not have time to be friends with strangers who I am afraid are going to disrespect me of what I like, how I feel, and what I am looking for in life. I just not into what the South has for me, because what I seen are not to my liking. My sister left here because she didn't like southern black men and has some same reasons me and other people have. Lily, I know it sounds funny and crappy, but I just can't trust anyone I meet and not know them well enough. You never know if they have a real crappy best friend who doesn't like you for no reason, or some friend who wants to kick your ass to make himself or herself a god or goddess, and then there are some that take advantage of your kindness. I am sorry if I typed like this, but I see what comes to what strikes towards you.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd have to say Austin is probably the least Southern city in the South, and is less Southern than a lot of Northern cities. We have the friendliness and hospitality, maybe, but culturally Austin is much more reminiscent of something like the Pacific Northwest than it is the South.

And to judge half of the country based on its "raw history" is a pretty crappy thing to do--we have no control over what our ancestors did and most of us have moved on. Things are entirely different here now and you really shouldn't blame us for the way things were 50 or 150 years ago.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'd have to say Austin is probably the least Southern city in the South, and is less Southern than a lot of Northern cities. We have the friendliness and hospitality, maybe, but culturally Austin is much more reminiscent of something like the Pacific Northwest than it is the South.

And to judge half of the country based on its "raw history" is a pretty crappy thing to do--we have no control over what our ancestors did and most of us have moved on. Things are entirely different here now and you really shouldn't blame us for the way things were 50 or 150 years ago.
To be quite frank, I was scared of that situation when I heard about it as a kid in elementary school. That's why I get nightmares about that being in Texas.

And I just got a ticket, finally. I will be on the move. I have posted an ad for someone to take over my lease in craigslist, and now I can manage to rebuild back home.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
So, you came to a place that you had a pre-existing prejudice about from childhood, based on who knows what valid or invalid information, and you're now blaming the place because you're not comfortable here? Okay.

I do think that you need to go back home to Phoenix and regroup and figure out where you really want to be.

Congratulations on getting the ticket. Travel safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin