Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM

34 posts, read 76,246 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to talk my husband into moving to Austin for years. He has never lived anywhere else, born and raised in Hopewell, Virginia. I used to live in Copperas Cove as my dad was stationed at Ft. Hood. My husband works for DuPont, and we will find out today if he gets laid off.

We have planned on visiting Austin in September to research jobs and housing. If he gets laid off, then I may move my trip up. I believe my husband currently earns around $28 or $29 an hour as a Class A Operator working with chemicals. He worked for Honeywell years ago but they closed the section of the plant he was working in and got laid off, however, he got paid about the same as what he makes at DuPont. After he was laid off by Honeywell, he was employed by Infineon, which became Qimondo and they just went belly up. He was only paid $11 an hour there working with computer chips .

With that said, it makes me wonder what Dell pays since they are in the computer business and as I understand it, the largest Austin employer.

Can anyone tell me what manufacturers in the Austin area pay high salaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:20 PM

260 posts, read 904,386 times
I'm in the semiconductor industry and I'll tell you that locally, companies have been laying off. Pretty much every high-tech manufacturing company has laid off employees (AMD, Dell, Samsung, Applied Materials, and a few others).

In terms of salary-- I don't have much insight into that. I've seen a few craigslist ads advertising temp manufacturing jobs for very low pay.

With a chemical background, I would suggest targeting some of the new "green" jobs opening up. I saw a really article on the top "green" jobs:
10 hot green job industries in 2009 - Going Green- msnbc.com

Hope you hear good news today!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
Chemical jobs are more prevalent in Houston and Corpus.

I can't think of any major chemical production in Austin...but I don't work anywhere near that industry so I could be completely wrong about that. If there is, they are good about keeping it on the down-low.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
There are several lab companies and some chemical distributors in town, although I would be hard pressed to come up with the names. Lab tech jobs are probably in the $15 - $20/hour range, if you can get em.

Huntsman used to have a chemical plant site right off of Lamar, but I think it is shut down now. The local power plants might have operator type positions as well. There is a coal unit in the La Grange area and a few more a little further out.

Typical operator jobs will be on the coast, and there are lots of them. Some are unionized, some are not, am not sure on the price of any of them.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM

I just need to know what manufacturers in the Austin area pay that kind of a salary. It doesn't have to be the same job he does now. We are just trying to find out if he can get any job that pays well in order to determine if we can move there.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoxley View Post
I just need to know what manufacturers in the Austin area pay that kind of a salary. It doesn't have to be the same job he does now. We are just trying to find out if he can get any job that pays well in order to determine if we can move there.
Its not whether they pay. Its whether they are hiring. Most places right now are not hiring.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Along those lines, if he does find work that is similar to what he has done before, it would help get a job. Austin is not really a manufacturing town, though. Some of the more industrial sites that I can think of:
Texas Crushed Stone
Lehigh Cement (may have another name now, down in Kyle)
LCRA (power plants and such)
Austin White Lime
Dell
Freescale
Samsung

Gah, I know there are more, I just cant think of them off the top of my head.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM

We are not looking to move right now. Obviously, we have to wait until they are hiring. I'm just doing research, my homework if you will, to find out who he would be submitting his resume to when the time comes and I would like to start finding out who pays what so we can skip over the low paying companies.

I read something a while back that said that Austin's employment should rebound by the third quarter of this year. So, maybe that won't happen, maybe it will be more like the first quarter of next year. We'll move when the jobs market opens back up.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
My husband tells me applied materials is about to move all their manufacturing to Singapore.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:14 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Huntsman used to have a chemical plant site right off of Lamar, but I think it is shut down now. .
Not only is Huntsman shut down but that entire has been redeveloped, it is "Crestview Station" now! Some retail has just opened, apartments are under construction, and homes will start going up soon. The rail line will stop there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin