Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 PM

45 posts, read 198,084 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I finally need to get a TxTag. Their website is not entirely clear.

It looks like they do not charge for the TxTag, but elsewhere the website states:

Roadway Toll Plazas: In the Austin area, you can pick up a TxTag at all mainline toll plazas on Loop 1, SH 45, and SH 130. Purchase your tag from a toll booth attendant, and you'll be ready to roll with $20 in pre-paid tolls. Only cash is accepted at toll booths.

So does the mean that if I can find a toll plaza with an attendant, I need to have $20 cash for a TxTag? If I acquire a TxTag elsewhere (AAA?) is the tag free? Do I have to preload it with $20 right then?

Any advice or clarification appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I got mine on-line, I think that's the easiest way to do it. You do the online application, and it will ask you for a credit card or bank account # to charge the first $20 on (it's not a fee for the tag, but they do require you put at least $20 on it initially). About a week or so later you receive the TxTag in the mail. After that, they will charge an additional $20 (or whatever amount you specify in advance) to your card/bank account whenever you reach a certain minimum balance. Doesn't matter how long it takes -- I hardly ever use the toll roads, and I think it's charged my credit card for an additional $20 two times in about 3 years. But it's great to have, the tolls are discounted and it works in DFW and Houston also. At the DFW airport, you can even pay their $2 "entrance/exit fee" (a minimum charge they apply even if you aren't going to park, but just drop someone off) with the TxTag.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I guess if I want one in the next couple of days, before heading down to Houston, I can buy one at AAA.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 AM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
Yes, the $20 you pay will be your balance available for tolls.

FYI, you can cancel the "auto refill" charge on your credit card that they recommend when the balance gets below a certain level. I called and took that off....now I just have to remember when to recharge. That is fine with me because I so rarely use the toll roads and I also get electronic statements from TxTag, so I know what my balance is.

But for the few times I do use the toll roads, I'm so glad to have the TxTag. So convenient!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:05 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
You can also get them at the manned tollbooths or they have an office on the northbound frontage road of Mopac north of Parmer (just past Fry's).

Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Let me google that for you

Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
You can also get them at the manned tollbooths or they have an office on the northbound frontage road of Mopac north of Parmer (just past Fry's).

How do I locate the manned tollbooths?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:41 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASgeek View Post
How do I locate the manned tollbooths?
I'm not a frequent toll road traveler, so I'm not exactly sure. I do know that some of the toll points are TX Tag or pay-by-mail only. According to the website it says:

Roadway Toll Plazas: In the Austin area, you can pick up a TxTag at all mainline toll plazas on Loop 1, SH 45, and SH 130. Purchase your tag from a toll booth attendant, and you'll be ready to roll with $20 in pre-paid tolls. Only cash is accepted at toll booths.

Sadly, I don't know which ones are "mainline" and have toll booth attendants. I went to the office off north Mopac to transfer a tag from a car I sold and got a tag for my husband's car. I know I've seen exits with toll booths that have someone inside, but I can't tell you exactly where they are. They tend to be the ones where you pay at the exit as you get off the toll road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin