Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 22,047 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody. My hubby lost his job 4 months ago. Ever since then, our 4 year old stayed at home with him.

I was a SAHM, now I am working in a restaruant to get some money. I am tired everyday after work because I need stand 5 hours non stop. I am no long 21-year with full energy. So I do not have energy to bring kids out for activities after working. My hubby is not good at teaching kids and bringing him out. I wish there is some low cost or free daycare for the family like us. We can not afford daycare now. But he does need some playmates and social activities.

We are new to this town, not much friends here. I hope somebody can give me some idea.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM

477 posts, read 1,580,640 times
What part of town do you live in? I don't know of any low cost day care (but may need some - my husband just got laid off today). But maybe in the meantime you can join a playgroup to give your son can get some interaction with other kids and you get a break. It helps fill the time - I know the days can get long!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:12 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Where do you live? You might find some of the church based preschools are less expensive. It would give your husband a break and your little one some social interaction. You could also consider doing some Vacation Bible Schools this summer. Austin is full of them and they are usually free.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM

44 posts, read 270,530 times
Have you thought about enrolling your child in Pre-K that is offered by AISD? You can call the nearest school for specifics. I don't know the requirements or deadlines for Fall enrollment.

I would also contact Family Connections as they have a child care referral program and can get you in contact with subsidized child care.

Good Luck.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,648 times
I found some services that might be useful that I would like to share.

There is a free online database of childcare centers called [url=http://www.DaycareIndex.com]Daycare Index - Parenting & Childcare Resources[/url]. I found this site to be easy to use and helped me in choosing a good daycare, at least pointed in the right direction as they have thousands to choose from that can be narrowed to your area. There are also free parenting articles, coupons and games!

[url=http://www.DaycarePI.com]Daycare PI[/url] is another good resource if you live anywhere in Texas. You can go to the site, look up any daycare and order a public investigation report on it. It's pretty affordable and a great way to find out the scope of a particular center.

Both of these services helped me so I wanted to pass the word along!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 18,179 times
Default Thank you

I am planning on moving out of massachusetts, i don't have a set destination yet, but from what i see in this forum i like Austin people
great feeling to see how many people offered help on this thread, Happy holidays everyone.

Cheers!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
bost09, I think you will find that most Austinites will go out of their way to help out or provide sound advice. Austin is a very friendly town. Good luck wherever your destination takes you.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:29 PM

97 posts, read 263,933 times
Lisy,

We need to know where you live!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinAustin View Post
Lisy,

We need to know where you live!
Uhm, you're aware that this thread is 7 months old now, right?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 AM

97 posts, read 263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
Uhm, you're aware that this thread is 7 months old now, right?
D'oh! Forgot to check.

Merry Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin