Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
I'm a big fan of chinese food and some of the best I've ever had outside of Chinatown is at DragonGate in Davenport Village on 360.

I also like NY style pizza. A friend at work recommended Homeslice. Has anyone here had it, or know of a better place?
As a Northeast Transplant, I recommend Saccone's (Leander, 620@Anderson Mill, and Round Rock locations) or Tony C's (Hill Country Galleria)for pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Trudy's, to me, is okay, but not really anything special.
I've never been to the South location, but I find the Trudy's on campus (near campus on 30th) to be much better than the Burnet location. The service is much better as well as long as you don't go there on a day when UT is having a major event.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
I also like NY style pizza. A friend at work recommended Homeslice. Has anyone here had it, or know of a better place?
I'm not versed whatsoever in pizza "styles", but I can tell you Homeslice is one of the best pizzas I have ever had. Here are a couple of reviews:
Home Slice Pizza - 78704 (South Austin) - Austin, TX

Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
This really describes all Tex-Mex in Austin. It doesn't really hold a candle to Dallas and San Antonio in this regard.

Maybe you just haven't been to decent places to eat?

La Fuentes (off S. Congress @ E. Wm. Cannon) for breakfast.
El Gallo for Lunch.
Baby A's for dinner.

But, there are alot of other good places to eat. Mostly I go to the ones in South and East Austin: Mi Madres, Chilitos (for tacos), Nuevo Leon, El Mercado, Casa Moreno on Burleson next to Post Office, and Austin's own Serrano's.

Most over-rated = Guero's Why? Wait forever to get mediocre tacos.

Rule of thumb when going to a Tex-Mex/Mexican resturaunt: If you walk in and don't see anyone of Mexican decent eating there then it's probably not that good. Ie: Matt's El Rancho, Vivo, Pappasitos, and Trudy's. Way over priced for the quality of food too. Unless, of course, you don't like eating with Mexicanos.

Lastly, I know this place gets alot of positive plugs, Polvos, on S. 1st. And rightfully so, they have good food. But, last time I went there with my wife for breakfast there was a group of people eating outside with their dog and it was licking itself. Not an image for breakfast. Needless to say we left and haven't been back. I have a dog of my own and I love animals but I don't need/want to deal with that when I go out to eat.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Lastly, I know this place gets alot of positive plugs, Polvos, on S. 1st. And rightfully so, they have good food. But, last time I went there with my wife for breakfast there was a group of people eating outside with their dog and it was licking itself. Not an image for breakfast. Needless to say we left and haven't been back. I have a dog of my own and I love animals but I don't need/want to deal with that when I go out to eat.
I usually plug Polvo's, but I agree with your post. Plus, the food has been hit or miss lately; some of their food, like the cerveza fajitas, almost tasted more asian than Tex-Mex.

So I'll say for now, Azul Tequila is tops on my list (The interior Mexican menu is an added plus), although Maudie's isn't bad for a cheap Tex-Mex meal.

Moonshine, Malaga, and Vespaio are few more of my favorites.

For NE-Style Italian, and it is basically impossible to find here, I'd suggest Reale's near Anderson Mill and 183.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:

El Gallo for Lunch.
Baby A's for dinner.

But, there are alot of other good places to eat. Mostly I go to the ones in South and East Austin: Mi Madres, Chilitos (for tacos), Nuevo Leon, El Mercado, Casa Moreno on Burleson next to Post Office, and Austin's own Serrano's.

Rule of thumb when going to a Tex-Mex/Mexican resturaunt: If you walk in and don't see anyone of Mexican decent eating there then it's probably not that good. Ie: Matt's El Rancho, Vivo, Pappasitos, and Trudy's. Way over priced for the quality of food too. Unless, of course, you don't like eating with Mexicanos.

I think I'll have to second this. Some of the best places I've been are full of Hispanic people not speaking English and the wait staff sometimes speaks broken English as well. There's a dirty little dive in Taylor near the DPS building but it's almost always packed and the food is very good. Like I say, dirty little dive..but food has never been off.

There's also a little carneceria near Rundburg (sp?) that sells really good fajita meat and another one in Taylor that sells the best fajita meat ever. They added a little snack bar/cafe to the store but haven't tried any of the food from it yet.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

225 posts, read 851,228 times
Taquerias Arandinas in Round Rock is also a great hole in the wall Mexican, also in same plaza... we love Teji's Indian and Hao Hao is very good also!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
As far as Tex-Mex goes, I think Juan in a Million is one of the best in town. And cheap.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
As far as Tex-Mex goes, I think Juan in a Million is one of the best in town. And cheap.
This.

The Don Juan may be the single greatest food item available in Austin.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Quote:

El Gallo for Lunch.
Baby A's for dinner.

That comment is generally true, but Matt's is in my opinion the best Tex-Mex in Austin. It's run by Hispanics as well. I've seen plenty of Hispanics eating there. Trudy's is good but it's more of a fusion between Southern US and Tex-Mex, not purely Tex-Mex, so it's acceptable. Papasitos I will agree with.

But you really lost any credibility when you listed Baby A's as good. That place, other than the margaritas, is absolute crap. El Mercado, which you listed, is pretty good, but it is not as good as any number of Dallas places.

I've not been to Serrano's but I've heard from multiple people that it's pretty good; I will have to try it.

I really like El Arroyo but it's more of a place to chill and drink than to eat really good Tex-Mex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin