Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As there were in the North - does that make the Northern states Southern?
No, it makes them hypocrites.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
There were no slaves in the Southwest, nor in the western half of Texas. Point being, Austin was a part of the "Old South" and still retains much of the heritage of the Anglo-American settlers that came mainly from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri. Does Austin reflect the "Old Deep South" of Mississippi and Alabama? No it does not.

The Texas capitol was located where it is because its location has been a crossroads of cultures for centuries: Spanish, Native, Black, French, Mexican and Anglo, hopefully, the modern City of Austin reflects the best of those who came and passed through...

Last edited by Danbo1957; 09-01-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 PM

18 posts, read 37,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
There are cacti all over the place in Austin.
They don't dominate the scenery. Its not like the rest of the southwest where everywhere is dirt, cactus and maybe palm trees.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
There were no slaves in the Southwest, nor in the western half of Texas. Point being, Austin was a part of the "Old South" and still retains much of the heritage of the Anglo-American settlers that came mainly from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri. Does Austin reflect the "Old Deep South" of Mississippi and Alabama? No it does not.

The Texas capitol was located where it is because its location has been a crossroads of cultures for centuries: Spanish, Native, Black, French, Mexican and Anglo, hopefully, the modern City of Austin reflects the best of those who came and passed through...

Exactly

Old 09-04-2009, 09:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
The Southerners ruled Austin during the Civil War and got the boot post Civil War. After the Civil War many Union soldiers who were part of a garrison to secure the peace here took a shine to the place and settled here.
Many fairly recent German immigrants who were Unionists found themselves in positions of power in Austin after the Civil War.

The main influence on modern Austin is Germanic and Northern as they were the power base here post Civil War. So definitely I would not call Austin Southern at all.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The Southerners ruled Austin during the Civil War and got the boot post Civil War. After the Civil War many Union soldiers who were part of a garrison to secure the peace here took a shine to the place and settled here.
Many fairly recent German immigrants who were Unionists found themselves in positions of power in Austin after the Civil War.

The main influence on modern Austin is Germanic and Northern as they were the power base here post Civil War. So definitely I would not call Austin Southern at all.
Austin is a melting pot of cultures but geographically and historically it is Southern. Unionists were in power all over the country after they won the civil war, so you don't make any sense.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx58 View Post
Austin is a melting pot of cultures but geographically and historically it is Southern. Unionists were in power all over the country after they won the civil war, so you don't make any sense.
Its not a Southern city sorry. I've lived in the South and feel able to make that call.

It feels more Midwestern than Southern. Midwestern/bohemian I'd call it but I'm getting a little esoteric I realize. There are some Southern influences here but they're in the background not in the forefront.

Actually most of this region of Texas was settled by Middle European immigrants after the Civil War and almost none of Central Texas feels 'Southern'.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Its not a Southern city sorry. I've lived in the South and feel able to make that call.

It feels more Midwestern than Southern. Midwestern/bohemian I'd call it but I'm getting a little esoteric I realize. There are some Southern influences here but they're in the background not in the forefront.

Actually most of this region of Texas was settled by Middle European immigrants after the Civil War and almost none of Central Texas feels 'Southern'.
Now it's being compared to the Midwest too? I don't think so, we don't call soda "pop". I guess my teachers in AISD were wrong when they taught us in school that Austin is in the south.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Given the discussion on this thread I was interested recently to see in one of the regular publications of the APA's Division of Psychoanalysis the non-Texan president of the division refer to San Antonio as Southwestern (she was commenting on the 2009 Spring Conference of the division, which was held in SA). If SA is thus seen as southwestern, surely Austin would be as well. I just thought it was interesting in terms of being the assessment of someone from outside the region.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
San Antonio is not a Southwestern city either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin