Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times

Advertisements

The City of Austin provides some great brochures on sustainable landscaping plants that do well in the Austin area here City of Austin - City of Austin - Grow Green They have full descriptions of the plants and color photographs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,961,740 times
hey, thanks.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,249,558 times
Try container gardening or raised beds. I agree that the *****xe is almost a necessary garden tool, especially SW. They don't call it Convict Hill because it's sandy loam!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,984 times
How do I thin out a lilac bush don't think it's a tree as it hasn't gotten taller than 6 feet. The bush has been in the ground for about 20 years and has about 6 main branches, but doesn't bloom as well as the one that has only one main stalk

Old 04-24-2010, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,984 times
Is there any one who knows anything about these bushes?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:14 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,581,981 times
I'm not growing any, so can't be of much help.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethel Jenness View Post
How do I thin out a lilac bush don't think it's a tree as it hasn't gotten taller than 6 feet. The bush has been in the ground for about 20 years and has about 6 main branches, but doesn't bloom as well as the one that has only one main stalk
Are you sure it is a Lilac bush and not a mountain laural? Did you read the previous posts on this thread about how you can tell the difference? Post a photo and we can help you identify it.

I grew up in a house surrounded by Lilac bushes in Wyoming, and would love to have them growing here, but I don't believe they will do well here.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 PM

I did take the suggestion and picked up a mountain laurel. They are very beautiful. Not my lilacs but I will grow to love them as much.

Still planting trees. Just dug another hole on the side of the house today. Don't have the tree yet, (just had my eye on one and want to be ready for it).

Also took the suggestion about pots and raised beds!! Now we're in the process of doing just that. First, I had to get over my "but I want what I had there". Once that obstacle was jumped over I feel more free to enjoy this place. (that, and the rains have made everything so, so beautiful).

I know one thing that simply loves being planted here around the back deck and that is rosemary. I absolutely love it, and the smell. It really is a beautifully-hardy plant.

Thank you for the suggestions and the mountain laurel looks very fine. Oh! and my azalea!! In the ground and blooming like crazy, (planted last summer). Just wonderful!

Hope the rains keep coming.
Love, love gardening!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Sadly the Mountain Laurel blooms don't last very long, but they are nice. I can remember the lilacs all around our backyard seemed to bloom for a month or more when I was a kid.

Ohhh look what I just found! Lilacs for Texas MG Tip: LILACS FOR TEXAS

Lilac cutleaf

S. patula 'Miss Kim'

Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Yes, I do recall someone making reference to that species "Miss Kim". I must have blocked that out. Oh, I know...I didn't want anything to interfere with my self pity.

In fact, I had that particular species at the step leading up to the door back home. That one really does have a strong fragrance and is a rapid grower and bloomer! I'm certain this is going to make me feel much better.
It would seem I am going to have to order those types of lilacs...seemingly against my will.
That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
Now, I'll have to go see if I can find a space...ah, I do believe there are a few sq ft left to plant something.
I've gone crazy with the planting since coming here. Today I planted two more trees.
Don't tell anyone I'm cutting the food budget to buy plants, trees, dirt, shrubs and mulch will you? This week it's beans, beans and more beans!

Good thing I have such a loving family, (that loves beans).

Thank you for the reminder cptn!

Oh, and before anyone calls child protective services...no one is going hungry around here, I was joking around.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 04-26-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin