Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,762 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am considering moving to austin this summer but I still do not know where. I have three children (20 (college), 18 (college), 14 (high school)), and I am really concerned with education and safe neighborhood. I have also started some research ( read also the posts concerning questions about relocating), and found houses for rent to own incredibly huge and not that expensive ( but those adds in craigslist don't show the area's name)
As my research did not lead to anything I have some questions

Where do you think I can find a 4br house for $1500/m rent (or may be less for a place with good high-school where they don't have problems with drugs)?
In which area can you find houses that matches with this post (or similar)
http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/1170901671.html (broken link) ?

Thank you so much in advance for your time, help and answers !!!

P.S: I am from Sterling VA
P.S 2:if you need more information to answer, please feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Some of those craigslist ads are terribly misleading... like the one you quoted. First off, the pics look like an apartment complex not a house... second, no address or even part of town is given -- too vague -- they just want to lure you in and they'll show you whatever properties they have available. Third, the 800 number.

Look for real addresses in the ads, local numbers, and then call/map those listings. You can get a little idea of what the place will look like with Google Streetview, but nothing beats actually visiting.

As for the "details" given, where can you find a 1700 sq ft home, near greenbelt, on a .27 acre lot in Austin for $1100 a month? Many places. 1700 sq ft would probably be a little older, like 15+ years old. Perhaps places like Anderson Mill / Far NW Austin, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Pflugerville, South Austin, etc. Which would be best? Probably depends on where you are going to be working.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Note that that ad mentioned houses in all states.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM

A quick search of the MLS turns up houses of that size in that price range in a variety of areas, but you might want to look in Cedar Park, Round Rock, and there's even one today in Village of Western Oaks. There's also a handful in the NW MLS area that are in the Round Rock School District.

Where are you likely to be working, do you know? That would help a bit in guiding you towards the best area for you.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Thank you for your answers! I do not work (stay-at-home mother, and some community work), but I'd like to live in a nice place close to shoppings, buses, librairies...
I read about Westlake HS and I really want my daughter to go there, but I don't know if West lake hills or rollingwood is affordable. One of my two other sons is transfering to UT, and the other is going to a ACC, but I guess they will have to find new part time job (I don't give pocket money anymore)

Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily98765 View Post
Thank you for your answers! I do not work (stay-at-home mother, and some community work), but I'd like to live in a nice place close to shoppings, buses, librairies...
I read about Westlake HS and I really want my daughter to go there, but I don't know if West lake hills or rollingwood is affordable. One of my two other sons is transfering to UT, and the other is going to a ACC, but I guess they will have to find new part time job (I don't give pocket money anymore)
Single-family homes in Westlake/Rollingwood will be much pricier than $1100 to rent. However, there are duplexes in the area which rent for about that much. For proximity to shopping and buses, though, NW Austin (like Anderson Mill) would probably work better. I think that is RRISD / Westwood HS.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 AM

Well, those are pricey neighborhoods. However, on the MLS today, there are 3 duplexes in the Westlake school district that fit into your price range with 3 bedrooms. The houses for lease start at $1850 and quickly move upwards from that.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 AM

I am taking notes. I also don't mind to go to RR, but in greatschool.com the HS is not really good ranked ( I am going to see westwood HS profile...)
Please what you think about the area with this zip code 78724? What is it? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin