Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM

38 posts, read 95,689 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Looking for advice on moving my family of four (mom, dad and tow girls 10 and 6) near Austin. We are looking to buy a 3 bedroom house for 150k and would like the following:
* A smaller, established family oriented community (this is not based on Church choice) that has lots of fun activities for kids (parks, bike trails, swimming pools, tennis, library, community center, etc...) and some shopping and ideally a charming walkable town center/main street.
* A place that has things going on (concerts in the park, outdoor cafes, farmer's market) and does not entirely depend on Austin.
* A safe, nice, well established, quiet neighborhood where kids can play outside (lots of trees would be great!).
* A neighborhood that has a neighborhood feel and decorates for the holidays. We want a true sense of community and neighborliness
* A good school district is important
* Hiking, biking trails
* Near lakes/water

We have kind of narrowed our search to Round Rock, Pflugerville and Georgetown and would now love to hear from those who live there (and those who have recently gone through this agonizing search themselves). Which of these places is most likely to give us (some of) the things we are looking for? Also any ideas of neighborhods and subdivisions?

Also, are there things to watch out for - property taxes, insurance, etc.

Thanks.

We
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Sounds like Georgetown or maybe near the center of Leander.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 PM

142 posts, read 501,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksea View Post
* A smaller, established family oriented community (this is not based on Church choice) that has lots of fun activities for kids (parks, bike trails, swimming pools, tennis, library, community center, etc...) and some shopping and ideally a charming walkable town center/main street.
* A place that has things going on (concerts in the park, outdoor cafes, farmer's market) and does not entirely depend on Austin.
* A safe, nice, well established, quiet neighborhood where kids can play outside (lots of trees would be great!).
* A neighborhood that has a neighborhood feel and decorates for the holidays. We want a true sense of community and neighborliness
* A good school district is important
* Hiking, biking trails
* Near lakes/water
Your first criteria eliminates P'ville and RR in regard to the town square.
Georgetown fits all of your criteria except for maybe school district. That one I don't know, but I've never heard anything bad about GISD.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,438 times
While I agree that Georgetown has a cool town square, it really doesn't have a ton of shops there. In my opinion, it's not a place that you keep going back to just to walk around. If anything, I find San Gabriel Park to be a better attraction. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't rule out Round Rock, Pflugerville, or Leander because of the town square in Georgetown.

You need to be aware of the property taxes in any of the areas around Austin. It sounds like you've narrowed it down and a visit is probably in order to all of these places. I know that Georgetown Village is really nice, but you'd have to get lucky to get something for 150K. I do see two listings for $149K in Georgetown Village, but they are already pending, so it's possible. Those appeared to be great deals and I assume that's why they're already pending.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
There are family friendly neighborhoods in Georgetown besides Georgetown Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin