Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to sell my bed and buy a new one--no mattress needed. I am hesitant to buy from Rooms to Go b/c I have heard bad things about them, but I've also been to Star Furniture and Haverty's and don't know if their quality is that much better to justify the price difference. I'm not willing to spend a grand on a king size bed, so pricier stores are out of the question. Does anyone know a good furniture store w/ good quality that's affordable ($600-800)? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 AM

477 posts, read 1,580,640 times
Check out Big Lots. They have Serta Mattresses there. I have been told by several people in the furniture business that they are the exact same models sold in more expensive stores, but with different model numbers as they are bade by Serta just for them. They have 2 models, don't get the least expensive one I've been told.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:51 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
I'm looking to sell my bed and buy a new one--no mattress needed. I am hesitant to buy from Rooms to Go b/c I have heard bad things about them, but I've also been to Star Furniture and Haverty's and don't know if their quality is that much better to justify the price difference. I'm not willing to spend a grand on a king size bed, so pricier stores are out of the question. Does anyone know a good furniture store w/ good quality that's affordable ($600-800)? Thanks
The only suggestion I have in that price range is to check out headboards, rather than a bed with a footboard and wooden frame. You might want to visit House of Oak (? or whatever the unfinished furniture place in North Village is called) for that. Applying finish is tricky, but they will do it for you for a fee.

We replaced our entire household of furniture two years ago after 30 years of bargains that didn't last. In our search, we found that, at many places, you get what you pay for and maybe less than you pay for. We found the latter to be true at the Scandinavian stores and stores that specialize in contemporary and mid-century modern style furniture (although that is what we had wanted). Sadly, it was over-priced for the product.

Look carefully, wherever you go. Often, what looks good is actually constructed of particle board underneath, with poor quality construction at the joints. That can turn into a rickety product that is like throwing money away. We purchased a breakfast-area set from one of the places you mentioned and ended up getting rid of it soon after. Although the construction looked fairly good, it wasn't.

Bassett furniture has a decent midrange product, which is where we bought our bedroom set. However, we found examples of better quality on sale at the same or a lesser price at Louis Shanks. You have to wait for that and look at everything they have. Much of it is Tuscan style, which is absolutely not to my liking, but they have other styles that were.

In all of this, I wanted it to be the last time I went through the furniture-buying process, and that may not be your goal.

Last edited by capcat; 05-16-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
One thing to watch out for with Rooms to Go is that they do not allow returns under any circumstances. We spent over $3,000 with them and wanted to return 1 $200 rug the day after it was delivered because it simply would not fit into the space we bought it for, and there was absolutely no way they would accept the return.

In addition I was very annoyed to find that when I gave them a digital signature to authorize my credit card, the printed it on invoice forms that had huge amounts of fine print on the back, claiming that I had there by agreed to those contract terms. This included the statement that they would accept no returns. I was never given an opportunity to read those terms prior to their attaching my signature to them, and was not told that they would do this. Their claim of a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee is totally bogus.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Have you tried Gage or Furniture Market? I've had good luck with both of those places, but you do have to wait a while for delivery, especially with Furniture Market. Furniture Market lets you look through all their catalogs and they can order you just about anything. However, recently I've had better luck finding what I need at Gage.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Try Crate and Barrel downstairs housewares. They have several beds, very nice ones that aren't as expensive as the furniture upstairs. I would rather go there and get a quality piece that is stylish than go to Gage, RTG or Furniture Market. The downstairs beds are in your price range.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Try Crate and Barrel downstairs housewares. They have several beds, very nice ones that aren't as expensive as the furniture upstairs. I would rather go there and get a quality piece that is stylish than go to Gage, RTG or Furniture Market. The downstairs beds are in your price range.
Interesting. I didn't know that Crate and Barrel even carried a lot of furniture in their stores. I personally wouldn't categorize Gage and Furniture Market with Rooms To Go. You can get brands like Lane, Broyhill, and Flexsteel at Gage and Furniture Market. I believe the stuff at Rooms To Go is a step down from that.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Still, look carefully at what you're getting at Crate and Barrel. That's one of the places that we found over-priced for the quality. I don't recall if we looked downstairs.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:04 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
C&B is not overpriced for the quality, especially downstairs. Upstairs, all sofas are made in North Carolina, you won't find that at Star and Gage.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
C&B is not overpriced for the quality, especially downstairs. Upstairs, all sofas are made in North Carolina, you won't find that at Star and Gage.
imo, it is. From the construction to the fabric. Not saying at all that Star is better, Gage might be better for chair upholstery fabric, since those can be chosen by grade. I was surprised at what you could get elsewhere for the same amount of money or less. This was after almost a year of searching and comparison shopping, but to each his or her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: