U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,303,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosselord View Post
OK M-7 How did you make out?
I have just been presented with the opportunity to relo to the Austin area. I have 2 daughters, 12 and 9. They are pitching a "hissi' " about relocating from VA. This is a perfect opportunity for me career wise, and I know the kids will fair well. I just need to minimize the stress for them. They are LAX players, swimmers, and flute & violin little peole. What are any thoughts on best schools and neighborhoods in the 250-300K housing arena? Thank you all in advance!!! I love this group!
Your daughters are young for this, but McCallum high school has a lacrosse team, as well as Anderson High School. When my son played lacrosse at McCallum in the mid 1990's, we were pretty persistent in getting recognition for lacrosse and getting the school to allow our team equal access to facilities. You can visit the boys lacrosse team's website, which is connected to the school. The girl's website doesn't appear to be active now. I'm not sure what that says about the team's existence. In addition, McCallum has a fine arts academy, which might also fit well with your daughters' interests. Elementary schools like Gullett and Highland Park feed into McCallum. But, when the girls are older they can apply as students of the fine arts academy and if accepted, can attend from anywhere in AISD.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 AM

101 posts, read 246,668 times
Default Thanks for your reply. What about Hutto?

Racially diverse, safe, friendly etc.?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 48,568 times
For someone who really wants diversity why not stick to Houston or Dallas??

Plus, for the person who said the ATL is not diverse... LOL.....

From my research the suburbs of Austin are mainly white areas..

Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,175,958 times
Hutto is all of the above.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:16 PM

Default Round Rock etc......

I read that Houston is very diverse, but alot of crime, with very hot and humid summers etc. I know someone that lives in Dallas, and was told that it was pretty segregated. That is not diverse, that is sad - still in 2009.

Are there any particular areas of Round Rock to stay away from? ie: the north side, south side etc.?

Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 PM

Round Rock is pretty safe, really doesn't have any "bad" areas. I can think of a couple I don't think I'd want a house in but they aren't dangerous ghettos.

Houston just depends what area you are in. Some areas have lots of crime but lots don't. Dallas, I'm not sure that's really true either. I have lots of family in the area and so I spend some time there. I think it may be a little more true in some of the areas outside of Dallas, but not Dallas itself.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Default That was quick

Love roses that was quick.
You know, it is hard to say not being there. I have been told by more than one that Dallas was more segregated than Houston/segregated in general, but maybe it does depend on where you live. We have to see for ourselves basically.

What part of RR, are you referring to? I think in terms of RR being smaller than Houston, but with diversity, we may just check out RR first to see what it is like for ourselves.

We talked about Houston, but we were trying to stay away we from such a big city. So we will see. We may just check it out just so that we can compare. If we could find a nice safe area/ neighborhood away from the crime, but at the same time has diversity/friendliness, we may consider Houston.??? Know of any like that there?

Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM

There's some low income housing near downtown Round Rock that is pretty much the only part I wouldn't move to. But, then again, there are some extremely nice homes around there too. And though I disagree on certain aspects of the neighborhood behind HEB Plus with another poster here, I don't think I'd really move there either. Pretty much everywhere else is fair game.

I've lived in Houston, I graduated High School there. We lived in the Clear Lake area near the coastal side. That's probably one of my favorite areas. My in-laws live in Katy. Katy is nice, but I like the coast better Woodlands, West University, Friendswood, Sugarland, Pearland, League City....all nice places around Houston. West University/Inner Loop is inside the City, but nice area.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 PM

Default HEB Plus?

Also, we really like the beach. Any nice beaches there where we will see a nice diverse group of people/safe/clean/ family oriented? Galveston Beach was briefly mentioned on another site, but I have no idea what to expect. Not alot of details were mentioned.

Thanks for the info. on the Houston neighborhoods. Was the one that you lived in, basically what I have described as far as what we are looking for?

What is the particular name of the neighborhood to stay away from in RR?

Thanks,
musicmom

Last edited by musicmom; 07-26-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 PM

I don't remember the names of the neighborhoods, but I'll try and pay attention next time I'm over there. Do a search on Galveston Pics and South Padre Island pics on City-Data. There is a poster, RGV, who has a lot of beach pictures.

Clear Lake/League City/Seabrook are excellent areas. Virtually no crime, a little more on the upscale side of things, but middle class too. Lots of NASA folks in that area...engineers, astronauts, defense contractors, etc....Remember, Houston is a port city so is going to be very diverse racially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or