U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:10 PM

101 posts, read 246,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
There's some low income housing near downtown Round Rock that is pretty much the only part I wouldn't move to. But, then again, there are some extremely nice homes around there too. And though I disagree on certain aspects of the neighborhood behind HEB Plus with another poster here, I don't think I'd really move there either. Pretty much everywhere else is fair game.

I've lived in Houston, I graduated High School there. We lived in the Clear Lake area near the coastal side. That's probably one of my favorite areas. My in-laws live in Katy. Katy is nice, but I like the coast better Woodlands, West University, Friendswood, Sugarland, Pearland, League City....all nice places around Houston. West University/Inner Loop is inside the City, but nice area.

Love roses, what is HEB PLUS?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:17 PM

101 posts, read 246,520 times
Default Demographics of Round Rock???

I read that the white pop. of Round Rock is @ 75%, but yet at the same time, I read that it is a pretty diverse city. If that no. is accurate, then that is not the balance I thought it was, especially when you hear the word diverse.

What does HEB Plus mean?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,134,482 times
HEB Plus is a grocery store with lots of extras...like electronics, furniture, party store, books, movies, cooking demonstrations, etc.

H-E-B Plus!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 AM

166 posts, read 636,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
my advice: Don't.
Why are you saying don't move there if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,062,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madlion7 View Post
With 3 growing children, 8,6,3, wanted truthful experiences re: diversity in schools and neighborhoods.
Your perception of Austin's ethnic diversity will be based a lot on what you're used to. My black friend from Boston visited me in Austin last year and said that Austin is one of the whitest cities he's ever been to. This comment, of course, is coming from someone who spent his whole life in Boston, a city far more ethnically diverse than Austin.

On the other hand, if you're from a small town in Texas, you'll probably find Austin to be incredibly diverse. Me? I don't think Austin is that diverse, though we're growing and getting better at it. More importantly, most Austinites are pretty open-minded and tolerant, so you'll be fine if you move here.

If you really want diversity in Texas, Houston's got it.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 AM

We are trying to move from Houston. We hate it with a passion and thought that Austin would be better. My husband loves it there, but since doing my research I'm not sure I want to subject my family to being the only blacks in the schools, in our organizations (kids sports), restaurants, etc. I don't want to feel like when we walk in the building that we are making anyone uncomfortable with our presence. I don't want my children being called names and what not.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 AM

2,201 posts, read 6,640,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady View Post
We are trying to move from Houston. We hate it with a passion and thought that Austin would be better. My husband loves it there, but since doing my research I'm not sure I want to subject my family to being the only blacks in the schools, in our organizations (kids sports), restaurants, etc. I don't want to feel like when we walk in the building that we are making anyone uncomfortable with our presence. I don't want my children being called names and what not.
Instead of digging up all these old threads, how about coming to Austin for a visit? If you're at all familiar with internet forums, you'll know that a lot of people just spout off a bunch of garbage to get a reaction. Do yourself a favor and quit reading these threads. Instead, start planning a family vacation to Austin. You live so close by that you can make several visits before you decide if you like it better than Houston.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Instead of digging up all these old threads, how about coming to Austin for a visit? If you're at all familiar with internet forums, you'll know that a lot of people just spout off a bunch of garbage to get a reaction. Do yourself a favor and quit reading these threads. Instead, start planning a family vacation to Austin. You live so close by that you can make several visits before you decide if you like it better than Houston.
Well, regardless if their old or not I "searched" for topics on this because I was interested. We are planning a trip there but it doesn't hurt to do a little research on these topics either . Thanks for taking the time to reply though. Have a good day.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady View Post
There is an objective way to see the racial make-up of a school. (Instead of going on other peoples' impressions.) If you go to the TEA website you can search school report cards and it will tell you the % for each race, for students and for teachers. Here's an example for Stony Point in Round Rock:

Student Body Ethnic Distribution:

African American 404/17.4% (district wide) 10.4%
Hispanic 733/31.6% (district wide) 25.3%
White 1,085/46.8% (district wide) 53.1%
Native American 7/0.3% (district wide) 0.4%
Asian/Pac. Islander 91/3.9% (district wide) 10.8%

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...008/index.html

Old 08-16-2009, 07:15 PM

And to compare with a neighboring district...

Leander High School Ethnic Distribution:

African American 177/7.8% (district wide) 5.3% (state wide) 14.3%
Hispanic 611/27.0% (district wide) 19.7% (state wide) 47.2%
White 1,405/62.0% (district wide) 69.9% (state wide) 34.8%
Native American 12/0.5% (district wide) 0.5% (state wide) 0.3%
Asian/Pac. Islander 61/2.7% (district wide) 4.5% (state wide) 3.4%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or