U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,172,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady View Post
We are trying to move from Houston. We hate it with a passion and thought that Austin would be better. My husband loves it there, but since doing my research I'm not sure I want to subject my family to being the only blacks in the schools, in our organizations (kids sports), restaurants, etc. I don't want to feel like when we walk in the building that we are making anyone uncomfortable with our presence. I don't want my children being called names and what not.

Look at towns East of 35. These will be the areas with more diversity than you will find West of 35.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,135,487 times
Another school from the same county...

Hutto High School Ethnic Distribution:

African American 173/16.3% 14.4% 14.3%
Hispanic 309/29.1% 34.1% 47.2%
White 560/52.7% 49.8% 34.8%
Native American 0/0.0% 0.1% 0.3%
Asian/Pac. Islander 21/2.0% 1.6% 3.4%

Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 PM

101 posts, read 246,649 times
Smile Vintagelady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady View Post
We are trying to move from Houston. We hate it with a passion and thought that Austin would be better. My husband loves it there, but since doing my research I'm not sure I want to subject my family to being the only blacks in the schools, in our organizations (kids sports), restaurants, etc. I don't want to feel like when we walk in the building that we are making anyone uncomfortable with our presence. I don't want my children being called names and what not.

If you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me why you hate Houston? We have been contemplating moving to TX . We talked about Houston, but hear it has alot of crime. Of course crime is everywhere, but some places seem to attract the criminal element more than others and Houston seems to be one of them.

Also, re: Austin. I do understand a mother's heart. Please don't think of it as making them being uncomfortable with your presence. It is a sick choice that they make as you know. It is an act of their will to be uncomfortable, simply because they have decided who you are based on your skin color. If anything you should feel uncomfortable by their ignorance.

Sonya Carson told her son (Now Dr. Ben Carson), that if you walk into a room full of racist, it is their problem, not yours. ( I am not quoting her word for word, but that is the gist of it ). I am not telling you what to do, you have to feel comfortable, but I have never ever let whites (the ones with those type of attitudes) stop me from enjoying activities. If they don't want me there, then my attitude is "have fun, it is their problem, not mine." Their ignorant/racist attitudes can sometimes be overwhelming, but only if we let it. Our (my family) experience has been that when they see that we are ignoring their stupidity, they don't bother us. We (no matter what minority group we are from)don't have to take their crap anymore, this is not 1955! ( Race should not have been an issue in 1955 either, but it was, due to their willful decision to make it so).

You can send me a private mess. if you'd like.

"Those put others down in order to prove their superiority, continuously prove their inferiority with each breath".

Old 08-28-2009, 06:05 AM

14 posts, read 30,354 times
I've recently moved to Round Rock and I like it a lot. My hubby and I are separated military and we stationed in TX, Hawaii, and England. Since leaving the military we've lived in NY state (Rochester area), Chicago (hubby's fam), Missouri, Florida, and now Round Rock. From what I see there isn't much crime here, there is an awesome outlet mall 5 minutes away and an IKEA across the street from the outlet mall. There are lots of good places to eat, and plenty of really nice neighborhoods in your price point. There is a huge amount of development and brand new housing, at least from my perspective. As someone who has traveled a lot I think Round Rock is nice, safe, and fun. I have 2 young children, my oldest just started Pre-K and she loves it. My advice is to visit Austin first if you can, I would suggest anyone looking to move somewhere, try to visit first if you can afford too!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
I am 25 years old and I grew up in th Austin area. I grew up in Pflugerville, but have been grounded in all of the areas in Austin. Austin is a very diverse city to reside in. The ratio for blacks to whites is not too important as long as the city respects that there are blacks in the city. I love that Austin celebrates the black holidays faithfully. The statement that, if you African American, your children will be the only black child in their class is not true at all. And it definitely depends on which part of the city you reside in and which neighborhood you decide to live in. Which is applicable in any city you decide to live in no matter what nationality you are. If you are white and you live in Atlanta you would have to pick and choose your residence because the city is heavily poplulated with African Americans. So that statement is irrelevant. 20 years ago when I was being raised in Pflugerville, the city was predominantly white. I had enough black friends in school to accept diversity. I am grateful for the city of Austin because you do not run into racism often here, if ever. I grew to accept everyone and I have friends from all walks of life and nationalities and I love it. Being focused on just the race that you are is not always the best option. I do understand at times though where the feeling comes from. At times when I would like to be a socialite, and socialize with other young black men and women, it can be hard tracking that type of atmosphere. Also, finding black meeting groups or social single or professional gatherings is slim pickings. Those types of events are not as readily accessible as they would be in Houston. I think it is mainly because there are alot of black FAMILIES so wide spread in Austin. Alot of the young black people move away from Austin, and seem to return after they have created a family. Most of my black friends moved to Dallas or Houston after highschool, and the ones that seem to be here are just party goerers, loners, "doing nothing" or have created a sound family life and socializing is not important. Nonetheless if you love the hippie life, enjoy just being around people from all nationalities and races, great schools, safe (low low crime rate) neighborhoods and party life, great job opportunities and a beautiful scenery....COME TO AUSTIN! You will never leave, trust me you can find the African Americans here and your kids will to...it's not a Where's Waldo book AT ALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or