Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM

14 posts, read 103,900 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone out there in cyber-space,
Young ,Northeastern,African-American family seriously considering moving to Austin, TX. Have been researching via web and will be visiting area in late Apr/2007. With 3 growing children, 8,6,3, wanted truthful experiences re: diversity in schools and neighborhoods. My husband is a School Administrator and I am an R.N. Looking to cash-out of our areas real-estate bubble and live the proverbial "good-life". Want to purchase our home on one salary and would like to spend around $250k. Like to stay active with swimming, roller-blading, basketball (husband enjoys playing in mens' leagues), hockey and ice-skating (important to kids). Any suggestions of neighborhoods to consider visiting? Any that stand out to avoid? Need to make move while kids are still young and prices still affordable in Austin. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 22,315 times
Default Diverse neighborhoods

What about Steiner Ranch? Is this a diverse community? I am interested in relocating to Austin, but am very concerned about racial issues.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
I'm only responding to this on heresay, but people I've talked to say it's not very diverse. But since I don't live there, I couldn't tell you for a fact.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 20,270 times
I personally don't know any African-Americans who live in or around Steiner Ranch, but I don't think the people who I do know would have a problem with it. I would probably endorse Pflugerville as having the best combination of ethnic diversity, less expensive houses, and better schools. You could also look into Wells Branch (which I believe is in the Pflugerville school district). There is also a fairly nice ice rink in the area which is where most of the local hockey clubs practice.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 22,315 times
Thanks for the responses. It is unbelievable that the City of Austin had to put together a task force to deal with racial issues.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:08 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,095 times
I'd say Steiner Ranch is fairly homogenized as far as communities go, but I don't think any ethnic groups would feel unwelcome there. it'd be more a question of whether you'd feel isolated from an ethnic standpoint or if you wanted more ethnic diversity in the community. HTH

Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. It is unbelievable that the City of Austin had to put together a task force to deal with racial issues.
Austin, for the most part, craves to have a more ethnically diverse city. The problem is how to you convince 'pioneers' to move to Austin and establish a cultural identity? I believe Austin would be a great place to be if you had to be a minority, but you are STILL a minority (a small one, at that), and that isn't very appealing to most people.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,373 times
Quote:
It is unbelievable that the City of Austin had to put together a task force to deal with racial issues.
Better to deal with the issues than to ignore them.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM

654 posts, read 1,908,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someicg View Post
I personally don't know any African-Americans who live in or around Steiner Ranch, but I don't think the people who I do know would have a problem with it. I would probably endorse Pflugerville as having the best combination of ethnic diversity, less expensive houses, and better schools. You could also look into Wells Branch (which I believe is in the Pflugerville school district). There is also a fairly nice ice rink in the area which is where most of the local hockey clubs practice.
I second Pflugerville. It is east of I-35, but that really only applies to Austin, not northeast where Pflugerville is. The schools are better than in Ausin, there is a nice mix of people so diversity shouldn't be an issue for you. One drawback is the water bills, which are higher here than in the rest of the area.

In general, I think you should stay in the suburban school districts for you children. The schools there are better with less drama than the Austin district.

You might find some info at this link which will tell you what you need as far as schools go. http://yahooed.greatschools.net/sear...&submit=Search You can search there also for districts for other areas you are interested in.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 41,632 times
For out-of-staters...Austin in a great place to get your TEXAS legs. Austin is politically much more diverse than the rest of the state. I grew up in Texas and went to college just outside of Austin in a city called Georgetown, but I now have a family and know what issues are important to you. Your kids will more than likely be the only Af American students in his or her class...possibly one of two. But, it's not that big of a deal anymore, because in this new mobile America...there is plenty of that. You've got to pick your battle...and if the alternative is to have your children go to sub-par schools just to be around other black students that they probably have little in common with anyway, then you're better off going to the less diverse school. Soon, they'll develop friendships, and more than likely, they will be the only Black kid in their social circle. Don't worry about it too much, because as they get older, they'll find that the other Black people they meet will also have that experience. It just takes time to find your cultural legs when you live in a state that still has pretty segregated neighborhoods.

The good thing about Austin -- and Texas in general is that is has a robust church life (if you're into that). I'm not talking about the mega-churches necessarily, but I am saying that you are more than likely to find a church to suit your needs in terms of size, preaching style, and membership. You may have to travel to find it, but it's there. And honestly...that's a great way to establish some heritage in your kids, and it never hurts to expose a child to faith in God.

Another way good way to remain "culturally aware" is to join groups of people who are in your situation. There are "Jack and Jill" clubs set up to help black couples and families network with other black couples and families. Also...try signing the kids up for city club Track & Field. My experience with city track in California was great...not so much the actual activity...but the friendships we developed with the parents and families. At your kids' ages, I'd be careful to find a group that is more concerned with nurturing kids attitudes towards competition and not so focused on the fastest kid on the field. As with all athletics...there are some crazy parents out there...just find some like minded parents and run with it.

Lastly, don't be afraid to jump in with both feet in the community; whether it be school PTA or sports mom/dad, or city volunteer. You may think you're the only one out there, but as soon as you start engaging in activities...you'll see many more faces that look like you. Not just the African American aspect, but the kind of people that are like-minded and family centered. You will draw people to you because they see you out there involved and they'll be more likely to network with you.

Thanks for reading my opinons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin