Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:00 PM

36 posts, read 119,205 times

Advertisements

I'm from Alaska. I will in all probality, be moving down to Austin in the next few months. What I want to know, is how long does it take to establish residency in Texas. I've heard it can take as little as 8 months? Is this true. I need to know because I do not want to pay Out of State Tuition for University of Texas. So I'm thinking I'll take the semester off and enroll when I'm a resident... to save money.
I do not believe University of Texas is a WUE school (the program that lets Alaskan residents pay resident tuition at certain out of state schools without out of state tuition- sweet).
Basically,how long does residency take to establish in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
A quick google turned up this: University of Texas at Austin - Texas Residency FAQ

"How do I establish residency?
A.
One must be an independent (not claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes), US citizen or permanent resident, (have a green card, also known as card I-551 or the evidence of I-551 stamp in the passport) or international student who is eligible to establish a domicile in Texas and live in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment.
Return to Table of Contents
Q. How do I establish a domicile in Texas?
A.
A domicile in Texas is presumed if, at least 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which he or she is to enroll, at least one of the following applies: 1) the person owns real property in Texas, 2) the person owns a business in Texas, 3) the person is married to someone who has established a domicile in Texas, 4) the person has had gainful employment other than work-study and other such student employment in Texas."

Old 05-18-2009, 04:12 PM

36 posts, read 119,205 times
Thank you very much! You've been helpful. I think I have all the information I will need.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Keep in mind that UT can be a tough school to get into. There are other options in the vicinity as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM

264 posts, read 1,000,940 times
I think Texas needs to change that amount of time to 3 years! Too many people moving here and taking up spots that aren't Texans, leaving many Texans in a bind! Austin and Texas is now one of the top spots in the country that people are moving to, and it's not fair to give them "residency" status after life long Texans have been paying taxes and contributing to this city/state for years! The stupid media needs to stop publicizing how great of a place Austin is to live because all it's doing is making things more difficult for those of us already here and those of us who have lived here our whole lives. Go somewhere else already!!!!!! We don't want Texas becoming another California! (i.e. a piece of garbage for a state!!).

Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
Note that "independence" in this context is NOT the same as being independent for financial aid purposes! Your parent's income will have a large impact on any financial aid package until you are 24, married, or in the military

Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
No, I believe that if you are classified as independent it is seperate, at least for UT. You may beed to be legally emancipated to do so, though.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM

138 posts, read 409,875 times
A link to UT's residency page

University of Texas at Austin - Texas Residency

Old 05-24-2009, 07:53 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
There are other considerations that may result in qualifying you for in-state tuition. You might want to consult someone in UT's financial aid department.

The University has previously allowed out-of-state and even out-of-country students to "qualify" for in-state tuition based upon factors other than 12 months of residency. For example, if you are the recipient of a scholarship or grant, then the University might allow you to pay in-state tuition depending upon the source of the scholarship/grant. If you have a job with the University (research assistant, resident assistant, cafeteria, etc.) then you might qualify for in-state tuition (based on hours worked).

Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
There are other considerations that may result in qualifying you for in-state tuition. You might want to consult someone in UT's financial aid department.

The University has previously allowed out-of-state and even out-of-country students to "qualify" for in-state tuition based upon factors other than 12 months of residency. For example, if you are the recipient of a scholarship or grant, then the University might allow you to pay in-state tuition depending upon the source of the scholarship/grant. If you have a job with the University (research assistant, resident assistant, cafeteria, etc.) then you might qualify for in-state tuition (based on hours worked).
I really don't think that's fair. In state tuition should be for residents (i.e., taxpayers) of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: