Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,754 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Austin sometime over the summer with my girlfriend who will be entering a PhD program at UT in the Fall. I’m currently looking for entry level GIS jobs and so far I’ve had minimal luck to say the least. Over the past couple of months, I’ve applied to numerous positions that I am qualified for, but nothing has really come of it yet. As the fall is quickly approaching we are getting more and more nervous about job prospects in the area.

I graduated a year ago with a BS in Geography and for the past year I have worked as a Geospatial Analyst primarily on DOD contracts. I primarily work in stereographic feature extraction with a lot of quality control thrown in there for good measure. I do enjoy parts of my current job more that others and would even be open to entering another field. I have somewhat of a background in environmental issues and conservation as well. I have had a great experience at my current employer. I honestly wish I could take them with me. Anyway, I know that overall the job market is kind of soft right now but I just want to know what the local job market is like from someone preferably in the field. If anyone has any additional tips, ideas, or even some potential connections it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM

804 posts, read 1,957,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIScott View Post
I'm moving to Austin sometime over the summer with my girlfriend who will be entering a PhD program at UT in the Fall. I’m currently looking for entry level GIS jobs and so far I’ve had minimal luck to say the least. Over the past couple of months, I’ve applied to numerous positions that I am qualified for, but nothing has really come of it yet. As the fall is quickly approaching we are getting more and more nervous about job prospects in the area.

I graduated a year ago with a BS in Geography and for the past year I have worked as a Geospatial Analyst primarily on DOD contracts. I primarily work in stereographic feature extraction with a lot of quality control thrown in there for good measure. I do enjoy parts of my current job more that others and would even be open to entering another field. I have somewhat of a background in environmental issues and conservation as well. I have had a great experience at my current employer. I honestly wish I could take them with me. Anyway, I know that overall the job market is kind of soft right now but I just want to know what the local job market is like from someone preferably in the field. If anyone has any additional tips, ideas, or even some potential connections it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I've seen GIS jobs advertised frequently in Houston, occasionally in Austin.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:13 PM

107 posts, read 209,395 times
Have you tried consulting firms like HDR, HNTB, and URS?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM

BlueBear1 -- I have looked into HNTB and URS as well as a number of other companies. I have a list of about 15 companies that I check on a daily basis, ha! I haven't looked into HDR though, I'll check it out.

And you're right, nomore07, there does seem to be a lot more opportunities in Houston as well as Dallas. We're hoping we don't have to go that route, we've been doing long distance for the past 4 years so we're ready to finally move somewhere together...not to mention, it'll be a lot easier for my girlfriend to afford living in Austin if we can share expenses.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,692,397 times
Try the local city gov'ts like Austin, RR, GT, Cedar Park, S. Marcos, etc. Gov't agencies like LCRA, TxDOT, CAPCOG, Tx Econ. Development, TCEQ, TNRIS, TPWD and TWDB.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 AM

verybadgnome, I'll have to spend a few minutes decoding some of those acronyms but thanks a lot for the ideas. I haven't heard of a couple of those agencies, but I'll look into them.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,307,261 times
lots of DOD work in Austin and SA....not a lot of it is advertised. Lots of contractor work....better bet if you are willing to commute to SA. I'm a GIS professional too, I am a DOD contractor.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,307,261 times
actually meant to say north of Austin....there is an Army base.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,692,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIScott View Post
verybadgnome, I'll have to spend a few minutes decoding some of those acronyms but thanks a lot for the ideas. I haven't heard of a couple of those agencies, but I'll look into them.
Yeah these acronyms are not at all like the ones in the state I grew up in. Also add GLO (Gov't Land Office) and TxDIR (Dept. information resources).
There is also a Tx State Data Center (State Demographer) but I've never seen a place for postings on their site.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM

103 posts, read 320,522 times
My son graduated with the same degree as you last May. He just got a job after nearly a year of searching. He had several promising interviews, but nothing came of them. The only jobs he was offered were in San Antonio making $10/hour. Most of the people he has talked to have told them they have openings, but have a hiring freeze at the moment. Thankfully he starts his new job in June. The jobs are posted here, but they are difficult to get, but since you have some experience you may have an easier time. Just keep trying and maybe something will turn up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin