Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 06:22 PM

31 posts, read 68,719 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm fairly new in town and looking to try and get out on the lake in the summer. I've never thought of trying Wakeboarding till I moved here...

That said, it feels like everyone has done it! If anyone would be willing to take a tourist out this summer then I'd happily supply copious amounts of alcohol. I'm keen to meet some new people and try and expand my circle of friends.

That said, I've no idea when the water warms up - I'm originally from London so while this might be cold weather to you guys it's pretty warm for a Brit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,305 times
We just moved down to Austin a few months ago but from what we have learned most people ride between April and November on Lake Travis. If you're willing to ride with a wetsuit, there are plenty of people that ride year round. Lake Austin is cold year round since the water comes from the bottom of Lake Travis but usually has the best water since it is so twisty you can usually find a section protected from the wind. You should check out 360 Wakeboard Club, it is the local wakeboarding club. Look at the forum, there is a section find a pull, there are a lot of people on there looking for people to ride with.

Chris

Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
My husband and I ride with dry suits in the winter if it's above 50 degrees outside, and wet suits in the in between months when the water isn't quite so warm, so there is no "real" wakeboarding season if you don't mind the cold.

There are many "islands" in the lake right now, so not sure when we're going to take the boat out, but you can always DM me as the weather gets warmer and we could meet up. We keep the boat off 71 right now, but my inlaws have a house on the lake that we might dock it at over the summer for immediate access.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,102 times
Default Wakeboard Reviews

Hi,

Before you start, let's take a look first [URL="http://wakeboardsreviews.com"]Wakeboard Reviews[/URL] which is best fit wakeboard like you beginners.

Enjoy the experience!

Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
The water in Lake Travis is fantastic RIGHT NOW and will be usable without wetsuit into October.

As said - Lake Austin is always cold. Lake Austin is very narrow, shielded from the wind in many places. But the narrowness makes it a safety risk at times. That's why PWCs are banned on Lake Austin on major holiday weekends. You need a boat driver paying attention all around, especially on weekends.

The lakes have two personalities - the weekend personality and the weekday one. Weekends can be crowded - but weekdays are far calmer and enjoyable.

Don't mean to scold - but copius alchohol and wakeboarding are a bad combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin