Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 02:46 PM

12 posts, read 39,759 times

Advertisements

A little over a year ago I moved to Phoenix and kept my car registered at my old address in Houston, ditto for my license, mainly because I knew I would be going back to Texas eventually.

Well, that day has finally come, but instead of Houston, I'll be calling Austin home. Now, here is my issue, a few days ago I traded in my car for a truck here in Phoenix. I was given a 90 day temporary AZ plate and Carmax filed a Texas title form for me because I would not be registering the truck in this state. They told me to have the County Tax Assessors call them (Carmax) when I get back to Texas and they will relay the information to them.

Now my question is will I be responsible for paying TX sales tax even though the truck was purchased in AZ? Carmax did collect AZ sales tax on the transaction, so my natural fear is that I will end up paying for it twice. Is anyone familiar with this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:02 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,882,004 times
You will be liable for a Texas "use tax" if you register the car in Texas after purchasing the car in another state. Rates vary for many reasons:

"Vehicles Purchased Out of State

There is a 6.25 percent use tax on the selling price (less trade-in allowance) of a motor vehicle purchased outside of the state and later brought into the state for use on Texas highways by a Texas resident. The tax also applies to vehicles leased in another state and registered in Texas by a Texas resident. With proof of payment, similar tax paid on the vehicle to another state can be credited against the tax due."

Taxes on out of state purchases can be complicated, especially vehicles, check with your DMV office first to avoid any surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: