Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:00 PM

92 posts, read 761,471 times

Advertisements

HAHA!! I was with 4 girls when we found him and we all were screaming and making such a commotion! All of us were too scared to touch him to get him away from the house, but we had to take pictures! I hope he's not poisonous, because he went into my back yard and I have a 5 lbs. dog that he would probably want to eat!

I live in Manor in a new subdivision. I have no houses on either side of me, so I'm guessing that I'll be seeing these kind of things for awhile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 03:12 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,209 times
Is there a place where they sell those snake catchers to the public? They are like long tongs and you pick the snake up, just back from the head. If I can get one of those, I won't be afraid to deal with them. I refuse to kill them, unless there is imminent danger to a life.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:09 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
This is a great resource for identifying the snakes of Texas. Our coral snake was poisonous.
http://www.bugsinthenews.com/Texas%2...t_Venomous.htm

Old 05-06-2007, 03:15 AM

9 posts, read 39,417 times
Default Wow...

that almost looks exactly like the snake I saw off of 2222! I did some research and I think it might be a diamondback watersnake (not venomous)... a site called Austin Reptile Service has lots of pictures of snakes that can be found in the area. Mountain lions? I've only heard about that once... but now that I've heard about it again, it's kind of creepy. I thought you can only find them in Big Bend (as far as Texas goes) or something.....

Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Okay, enough snake talk.

On a lighter, less creepy note, has anyone else been enjoying the fireflies lately? I can't get over how many we have here. I lived in Florida for over 30years and never saw one. They're awesome.

Okay, back to snakes if you must.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:06 AM

92 posts, read 761,471 times
Sorry, back to snake talk. My snake was a rat snake. It's not poisonous, but it will bite if angered. They eat rats and mice. I better not find either of those near or in my house!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I do know that there are mountain lions near Tyler. My grandmother lives in the country outside of Tyler and they do have them. There was a rogue one that was hunting dogs not long ago, and they had a warning out to keep your kids and small animals inside, since it was hunting very close to people. I never heard if they caught it, but noones told me anything more. Tyler is close to Dallas, and Dallas is North of us, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few. Never seen one here, though. Houston still has Bobcats.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,146 times
Default He's Ok

I would agree he's a Rat Snake. those are essentally harmless, they wont bite till you REALLY bother them. He has a valuable job of eating , mice, rats etc. and the less of those there are the less likely another type of snake (Rattler) will have enough food to move in. Chase him off with a broom and leave him be. Heck I'd name him and call him a yard pet! Snake are everywhere, not just in TX, if you havent seen one, you havent been outside enough!
Our neighbor had a Coral snake also in her garden, now thase ARE dangerous.

Also the Wildflower Center supposedly had a Mountain Lion for a bit last year..

So why not forget the "yechy" animals for a bit, and say who has what?

Driftwood: ---we've seen--

Fox
Coyote
Wild Hog
Turkey
Ringtail
Skunk
Raccoon
Lizards
Herons
ducks
Hawks
Mexican Eagle
rabbits
Jackrabbits

I will not list deer, if you havent see one in Texas, you're blind..

(:>
G

Old 05-08-2007, 12:27 PM

Hutto: I'll also say what I've seen in RR:

Snakes
rabbits
coyotes
Hawks
bats
lizards (large grey striped ones)
turtles
ducks
geese
skunks
squirrels
possums
hummingbirds
mockingbirds (my neighbor has heard them)

Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Oh, I forgot one:
It's a bird, mostly seen at dusk, and it looks sort of like a small sea gull. They have a high pitched chirp. Does anyone know the name of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin