U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM

122 posts, read 331,234 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to Austin for grad school with my spouse in the fall, and we need an apartment. I DON'T want to live by students since I will have to study.

1) I want 900 or more sq feet
2) $1000 / month
3) 2 bedrooms
4) workout room
5) preferably lots of light and an open kitchen

I have looked in Barton Skyway, but for that price many of the apartments are pretty old (mission, the ridge, the woods).

I have heard that Arboretum might be nice (nicer than far west maybe?) and that we could get a nice apartment in our range.

Does anyone know SPEcIFIC streets to look at in Arboretum or specific places?

Also, I have heard that it's easier to commute in to UT via MOPAC than it is on 35. Can anyone comment on this?

I love this forum and appreciate yall's imput. I know it probably gets old with so many people moving there, but I am a fellow southerner, so at least I'm not invading from the north. =)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 PM

4,496 posts, read 10,187,401 times
There are some nice apartments in the Arboretum area and your price range should get you there. Be careful though, there are some areas just south and east of there that list themselves as "Arboretum" that really aren't. If you concentrate your search in the 78759 zip code, that should put you in the right area. I did a Yahoo Yellow Pages search on apartments in the 78759 zip code and came up with several options.

Arboretum area is a little newer than Far West -I can't say for certain that they are "nicer". Some street names to look at would be Jollyville, Great Hills Trail and Morado Cir. Riata is a nice complex just a bit north of the Arboretum but still in range.

The commute via Mopac is easy, but brutal in rush hour. If you have to travel during prime time - 7:00-8:30 AM - it can be quite congested, otherwise not too bad.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 PM

938 posts, read 3,258,341 times
On commuting to the UT campus:

One of my classmates lived in the Arboretum his first year here. It took him around 35 minutes to get to campus during rush hour. He ended up moving closer to campus after his lease expired. Parking on the UT campus is also a royal pain. While you can buy a parking permit, it only gives you the option to park in the specified lot if a space is available. "C" lot permits are relatively cheap ($120/year), but the "C" lot fills up before 8 AM most days, and is a good 15 minute walk from the heart of campus (although closer to the law school). "A" lot permits are around $170/year, and the lots are slightly closer, but they still often fill up quickly. I also think you may have to be a TA or a faculty member to even get a "A" lot permit, but I'm not sure. Coupled with the cost of gasoline, wear & tear on your car, and general frustration that commuting to campus can produce, I'd strongly recommend getting a place closer to campus, or at least on a UT shuttle bus line (totally free for students).

Hyde Park is generally quiet, and much of it is in walking distance to UT, or a short bus ride aways. I live(d) (moving on Sunday) in the Windsor Park neighborhood and enjoyed a 15 minute bus ride to campus. My neighbors are also older and the street is very quiet. There are plenty of apartments just north of Dean Keeton which appear relatively quiet, are probably within your price range, and would put you within walking distance of campus. You want to avoid the West Campus area, as this is where the undergrads live, and is the stereotypical loud party neighborhood.

If you want a newer apartment complex, and are willing to put up with the hassle of commuting/parking on campus, than that is your own personal choice. However, from my personal experiences as a graduate student at UT, it is worth it to get a place a little closer in and avoid commuting. That extra 1+ hour a day you spend in the car could easily be put to better use studying or doing something you enjoy, as you will likely be very busy as a graduate student. Also, the gym facilities on campus are excellent, and if you go at an off time, not very crowded at all. Gregory Gym is much nicer than a Gold's Gym I paid for a membership at in another city.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 AM

194 posts, read 401,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo1984 View Post
Hello,
I am moving to Austin for grad school with my spouse in the fall.
Law school?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM

No, education. I am starting the program, not him. That may have been unclear.

So, for anyone on the bus route, doesn't it take awhile to get to UT on the bus? Does the bus run at night if I take a night class?

THANKS yall for all the helpful info.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM

19 posts, read 53,015 times
When my wife was going to grad school at UT, we lived in the townhouses on Old Quarry Lane near Far West, on the UT shuttle route:

78731 - Google Maps

Ours was about 1100 square feet, two bedroom.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 PM

8,739 posts, read 17,417,841 times
^^ I think those are called the Townhomes of Northwest Hills. Private owners, but many are typically for lease. An apartment locator might be able to find one available for you. It's a highly desirable area with parks, grocery store, restaurants and retail within walking distance. This would be considered the Far West area, on the Far West UT shuttle. Closer-in location than the Arboretum, but older places. The single family homes in the area are very expensive, but condos and apartment rents are reasonable.

Quote:
So, for anyone on the bus route, doesn't it take awhile to get to UT on the bus? Does the bus run at night if I take a night class?
The bus to UT is not bad at all, if you are on a shuttle route. The shuttle routes won't require any transfers, they take you straight to UT. They are usually pretty fast, even during rush hour, because they don't go on the major highways except for relatively short segments. Maybe 20 minutes to UT from a typical stop -- and that is often faster than finding a parking spot and walking to your class from student parking...

They run til about midnight, and have better frequency than the most of the regular Capitol Metro buses (at least during times when school is in session). They are very usable and dependable:

UT Shuttle Routes - Riding Capital Metro - Capital Metro Transit - Austin, TexasCapital Metro Transit - Austin, Texas (http://www.capmetro.org/riding/schedules_ut.asp - broken link)

Old 05-29-2009, 05:19 PM

938 posts, read 3,258,341 times
Quote:
No, education. I am starting the program, not him. That may have been unclear.

THANKS yall for all the helpful info.
It was a 15 minute ride for me in to campus, and a 20 minute ride back out. The last bus left campus at 11:05 PM on my route. I'm not sure about other routes...check the bus link tmcd provided for a schedule. During the day, the buses on my line (Cameron Road) had a 12 minute frequency. Only a very short wait for heading to campus or back.

Even if you have a 35 minute bus ride, time spent on the bus is your time, and is much less stressful than driving. You can read, study, listen to music, or zone out. I actually enjoyed riding the bus, a nice wind-down after a hard day of studying. Plus, the bus is free, and you won't have to pay for gas and car maintenance.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 PM

982 posts, read 2,955,278 times
I used to live in the Arboretum area and I drove and parked where the shuttle stopped and I always found parking off of Far West. I rarely drove to campus except when I was running late. Wow, the C passes went up in 6 years, they used to be like 60 bucks or so. For a newer complex in that area, $1,000 for a 2 BD would be almost impossible. Maybe look up around Duval and Mopac, but you won't find a newer complex with a 2 BD unit in your price range. You would have to live all the way east on Parmer and Tech Ridge to find something decent and new for that price.
Good Luck

Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM

Well, I don't need BRAND new, I didn't like some of the 30 year old places... surely there is a happy medium! That is a great idea to go park in Far West where the shuttle picks up....

I am starting to reconsider though, and might look back on Barton Skyway just for location. Decisions decisions........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin