Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxguero View Post
per your assessment there are no jobs or job growth in any sector in Austin.
where did you get that idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 PM

102 posts, read 265,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
where did you get that idea?
Are there any positives in the Austin job market right now?

Old 06-07-2009, 01:02 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
Quote:
how about ... it's better than 6 months from now? (i.e. more layoffs to come)

Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Here's an article that says what industries actually are hiring:
Blue Dot Blues: Austin leads in big-city job growth

The three areas hiring are government, retail and service.
I don't know how long retail will hold out though as retailers reported dismal May numbers.

So you can flip burgers, be a cashier or try to get gov't work.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM

102 posts, read 265,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

So you can flip burgers, be a cashier or try to get gov't work.
According to Austinite45 that government work-(UT, state, city, county) would be out due to cutbacks so that only leaves flipping burgers at McDonalds or being a cashier at Walmart as to whats left in the Austin job market.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
According to Austinite45 that government work-(UT, state, city, county) would be out due to cutbacks so that only leaves flipping burgers at McDonalds or being a cashier at Walmart as to whats left in the Austin job market.
The company my husband works for is hiring a couple of software engineers.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:01 PM

103 posts, read 304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
I moved to Austin in March of this year with my wife and 9 month old child. I found a job within the first week, and found the people to be cool as hell. I am originally from California, and even though I find Austin far from perfect, (along with everywhere else to be honest with you) it is still treating me and my family well, and that is what counts.

I know a lot of Austin people dislike the transplants, especially from California, and that is fine, because they bring it on themselves. I have spoken with several other people from California, and they all say the same thing. They whine day in and day out about the humidity, highway system, lack of public transportation, and the frequent weather shifts.

Go back to California is what I say to them! You are unhappy, and you ***** all day, which not only makes me look bad, but also pisses off all the natives! And when you suggest they go back to California, they have a million and one excuses why that isn't possible. California has no jobs, California has too many illegal immigrants, California is too cramped, California is too expensive, California has too high of taxes... The list goes on.

So what the hell? You dont like California, and you don't like Texas. Fine, that is cool. Sounds like you need to move again, to another place that you wont like. People need to accept that no place brings everything to the table, because if one place DID do that, we would all be living there, and it would be ruined. Any place that is nice is nice for a reason, and the reason is generally because the people that make places terrible don't live there. Then, the word gets out, the wrong people move into town, and the whole thing goes down the tubes.

Californians have a bad attitude in general, and they seem very picky. They will talk about California being the best thing that has ever happened to people that are not from California, but when you stick them in a room full of Californians, all they can do is talk crap about it. Pick one, and stop being hypocrites!

If you are from any other place, and you have moved to Austin, and you have a job and a place to live, count your blessings, and thank Austin for taking you in. I don't have the best job by any means, but I am happy to be here, and grateful that the city has given me a life. Be happy with what you have!
You know what I've noticed? Anyone that has moved from California to anywhere complains about it and wants to go back.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:02 PM

111 posts, read 294,809 times
Time Warner Cable has been hiring for years. They have a high turnover rate for techs, and bring in quite a few each month. Not the best pay, but great benefits.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM

111 posts, read 294,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
You know what I've noticed? Anyone that has moved from California to anywhere complains about it and wants to go back.
Yeah, that was pretty much my point. Now, don't get me wrong, there are tons of things that I miss from California. But really, Texas is a pretty nice place. I like the weather a bit more in California, and I am not a huge fan of the humidity here, but those are small complaints. If people would just sit back, and do a quite Pros and Cons list of things, they would see that Texas is actually really appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin